Jim O'rourke's Burt Bacharach Tribute Album

This is old news it seems, but I just came across this now. Jim O has produced a Burt Bacharach tribute album with a whole bunch of big names involved. Sounds like he plays and sings a bunch on it, and Mr. Kotche is at the drums for this whole affair.

http://www.twentyfourbit.com/post/395056335/jim-orourke-produces-burt-bacharach-tribute-album

After days spent digging through a dozen sites, mostly written in Japanese, I’m thrilled to report that Jim O’Rourke has produced All Kinds of People ~Love Burt Bacharach~, a tribute album featuring 11 pieces of the legendary songwriter’s most famous work as covered by Sonic Youth’s Thurston Moore, O’Rourke himself, former Bacharach collaborator Donna Taylor, and 7 other artists.

O’Rourke—who previously released a faithful cover of Bacharach’s “Something Big” on Eureka—not only produced and sang on the album, but he also played guitar, banjo, keyboards, bass, harpsichord, and other instruments. Who’s the drummer? Oh, that would be Wilco’s Glenn Kotche on the skins.

The album is due out on April 7th via Japanese label AWDR, a week before being performed live in Tokyo and Osaka on 4/15 and 4/18, respectively, by O’Rourke, Kotche (just ahead of two Wilco gigs in Japan), other artists from the album, and “special guests.” Ready for the track/set list?

All Kinds of People ~Love Burt Bacharach~

Close To You (Haruomi Hosono)

Always Something There To Remind Me (Thurston Moore)

Anonymous Phone Call (Jim O’Rourke)

After The Fox (Akira Sakata, Masaya Nakahara)

You’ll Never Get To Heaven (Aoyama Youiti)

Do You Know The Way To San Jose (Kahimi Karie)

Don’t Make Me Over (Kosaka Tadashi, Jim O’Rourke)

Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head (Koike Mitsuko)

I Say A Little Prayer (Yoshimi)

Trains And Boats And Planes (Jim O’Rourke)

Walk On By (Donna Taylor)

This is old news it seems, but I just came across this now. Jim O has produced a Burt Bacharach tribute album with a whole bunch of big names involved. Sounds like he plays and sings a bunch on it, and Mr. Kotche is at the drums for this whole affair.

http://www.twentyfourbit.com/post/395056335/jim-orourke-produces-burt-bacharach-tribute-album

If it's anything like his version of Something Big, I'm certainly psyched.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this album for sale on Amazon but it was a pretty steep price.

So I looked around and found it on a blog. If you like Jim O'Rourke's

work then you'll love it. It has some really nice piano and Glenn Kotche's

drumming is just as you'd expect it to be.

I feel bad for downloading but I can't afford to spend 50 bucks on a CD.

Hello,

This is my first post.

"Say A Little Prayer" cracks me up. "Foweva, Foweva..."

:lol i died laughing in the car. i can't wait to be driving somewhere with friends in the car, play that song and get 3 people looking at me like this: :unsure it's great for sunny spring days for sure!

• 7 months later...

Speaking of O' Rourke, he is doing and add for Wal-mart?:

Jim O' Rourke article

Yeah, I saw that. Maybe, he needs some money? It is a rough time right now especially if you are a musician. I just think its funny that they chose that song from an album cover like "Eureka" which would never be sold in Walmart stores. Great album though!

Yeah, I saw that. Maybe, he needs some money? It is a rough time right now especially if you are a musician. I just think its funny that they chose that song from an album cover like "Eureka" which would never be sold in Walmart stores. Great album though!

Eureka is one of my favorites, yeah I used to detest music in commercials, but I really think we're at a point where it's a viable reality for musicians to get a little promotion and money.

--Mike

P.S.: The Bacharach Tribute album is superb.

Eureka is one of my favorites, yeah I used to detest music in commercials, but I really think we're at a point where it's a viable reality for musicians to get a little promotion and money.

It's no more crass than what you have to do to get on the radio.

I would've liked to have heard "Anyone Who Had a Heart." I was in a band years ago that did that one, and it was great fun to play.