JOKE TITLE: Ryan Is Dead: Ryan Adams does Grateful Dead

I put together a live compilation of Ryan Adams performing Grateful Dead tunes a few years back and posted it on ryanadamsarchive. I noticed that the compilation was posted at the BigO archive website for download. I thought a few here might be interested in it.

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=430#comment-11516

RAdeadBk.jpg

RYAN ADAMS

Ryan Is Dead: Ryan Adams performs The Grateful Dead [no label, 2CD]

Selection compiled by Chris Goodwin (goodwin1970@verizon.net). More good stuff at http://www.ryanadamsarchive.com. Almost all soundboard.

When we first laid eyes on this set, we thought the title inappropriate - “condolences to the Adams family for their bereavement, etc”. Yet if you want a quick summary of Ryan Adams over past 10 years, it reads like a train wreck - fights with his label, numerous unreleased completed albums, critical success but commercial flop, hanging out with the stars from Elton John to Willie Nelson and perhaps the most lamentable forming a secret punk band to record two EPs repackaged as one CD called We Are Fuck You. He has released 10 albums/EPs since 2000 and that’s not counting at least four other completed and unreleased albums.

At the beginning of 2009, Ryan Adams, recording artist, was practically “dead”. He’d announced his departure from his band The Cardinals. Currently, Adams is on his own recording anything from hard rock to metal to singer-songwriter fare and releasing music through the net on his own online label, PAX AM.

Like the Grateful Dead, Adams has decided to go it alone, without a safety net. Like the Dead, Adams is close to his fans online and encouraging with the sharing of his live recordings.

So here’s when he met the Dead. Wiki:

“Adams befriended Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead, after first meeting him at the Jammys awards in New York in 2005. The two performed Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter’s Grateful Dead classic, Wharf Rat. Adams performed at subsequent outings of Phil Lesh and Friends, including a two-night stand at Red Rocks Amphitheatre outside of Denver, Colorado and on New Year’s Eve 2005 at the Bill Graham Event Center in San Francisco. Throughout 2006, Lesh’s live performances included compositions by Adams, including several from Cold Roses (Cold Roses, Let It Ride, and Magnolia Mountain).”

The admiration was mutual.

When they jam, that’s Phil Lesh’s band. The Dead’s music is akin to twin drills boring into the left and right temples of your head with the guitarist picking butterfly notes that float into space. Head music. Ryan Adam’s singing brings the warmth. That’s always been his strongest attraction, an affecting voice that allows for happy, sad, angry and hurt. Adams doesn’t sound like Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir. He sings Bertha or Friend Of The Devil meaningfully and brings the songs back into an emotional place. What moved Elton John to call him an inspiration for John’s Songs From The West Coast album.

There are three or four songs here without Phil Lesh. When Adams do these Dead tunes, his band the Cardinals’ enthusiasm make them different from the Dead’s style of controlled majesty, knowing how to build a song quietly until it reaches maximum intensity. Franklin’s Tower departs from Dead territory and sounds like an indie rock song.

This is a splendid collection with great sound. Thanks go to Chris Goodwin who made this compilation and xxxballion who shared it.

Given the heavy hand of the Grim Reaper this week, I was relieved to see this was actually a post about music.

Sorry, but I had to add the "JOKE TITLE" because, like everyone above me has said, it's sorta bad timing to make a joke/play on words about Ryan Adams dying.

Too soon. That's all.

:ohwell

jeez....lighten up everybody...the title did say 'RYAN ADAMS DOES GRATEFUL DEAD'...and UNDER it i had 'CD COMPILATION'

hey Chris- i agree with you, but in fairness, when I was on the front page (or whatever you call it -- the page that lists all the subforums) since it only shows part of the title, it said "Ryan is Dead: Ryan Adams..." So, I just about had a heart attack myself when I saw it.

Thanks for putting this together. Looking forward to downloading it and giving it a spin. Even though (gasp!) I am not much of a Deadhead. But I am a Ryan Adams-head. :thumbup

hey Chris- i agree with you, but in fairness, when I was on the front page (or whatever you call it -- the page that lists all the subforums) since it only shows part of the title, it said "Ryan is Dead: Ryan Adams..." So, I just about had a heart attack myself when I saw it.

Thanks for putting this together. Looking forward to downloading it and giving it a spin. Even though (gasp!) I am not much of a Deadhead. But I am a Ryan Adams-head. :thumbup

haha...yeah, i didn't notice what it said on the front page. actually it was being a ryan adams-head that got me into the dead. i was a casual fan of the dead (only had workingmans dead & american beauty), but after ryans tour of 2006 when he did a bunch of dead covers i had to go out and explore more of the dead catalog. i ended up picking up both of their box sets (complete catalog)!!!

i got this on a phish mesage board almost a year ago. what a great mix! the cardinals already have a real dead quality/tone with a good number of their songs. and ryan can do jerry justice. good job on the mixtape. i listen to it probably two or three times a month.

• 14 years later...

Ryan Adams with some amazing Dead Covers!  Oh man I wish I could get a digital copy of this double CD set! 

Kudos to Chris Goodwin who made this compilation!!