Decending into dorkiness

I am taking my family to the Savannah show, and my daughter wants to try to meet the band. In the times I've seen the band, part of me would like to try to get an autograph, but mostly I would feel, 1) like a dork, and 2) that the attempt would somewhat taint the experience; that there's value in the distance between artist and fan.

I've gone back through the archives and didn't have much luck (great stories about meeting band members before/after concerts and other settings). So I ask here: what is the approach for, err ... approaching the band after the show? Is there usually an area roped off where they stand (beyond protective glass)? Is it an impromptu situation based on the show and venue? Are they approachable at/before/after sound check (which I"m guessing is about 5-5:30)? Should I tell them not to get their hopes up?

Scout out the venue before....see where the bus is parked and find the door closest from the venue to the bus...that is where odds are they would be leaving from. I have had good fortune meeting the band both before and after the show. I actually ran into Nels, Mikael, Pat and John in the town of the concert by accident before! Usually after the show you will see a bunch of others waiting..just hang back and if the band is in the mood they will stop and talk. Usually someone else will get the ball rolling and you can just slide in after. The band are pretty friendly and I find it very easy to talk with the band with Glenn being the most talkative! Good luck and post back here after! :cheers

I plan on standing by the stage door for a couple hours before the show on Friday to say hi to Jeff. Stage door has worked for me 3 times previously with Wilco and a bunch with other artists. :) They are all really nice... good luck!

I meet Jeff before a solo show accidentally.My husband and I went to take a look to the venue (a kind of theater) and he´s leaving the place after a rehearsal.

Encouraged by my husband with a sweet:

"Honey,after carry ME 900 Km to see HIM,if you don´t take your pic with HIM,I´llkill YOU" :pirate

I call "Jeff",he stopped and was really kind.

I remember to see him come back to the hotel with his hands in the jeans,exactly like on the b/w images of the IATTBYH DVD

I've learned with two previous experiences that ONE: When you sneak backstage the artist may not respond in an overly warm fashion to you.

TWO: when you follow (stalk) an artist around town prior to their show in said town they also don't respond warmly.

I don't think Jeff will ever talk to me again (if he happens to remember)

I've learned with two previous experiences that ONE: When you sneak backstage the artist may not respond in an overly warm fashion to you.

TWO: when you follow (stalk) an artist around town prior to their show in said town they also don't respond warmly.

:lol

did you have binoculars?

The bus is on the side of the building on Oglethorpe St and the crew was unloading about an hour ago when I rode by. I wanted to hang around to see if anyone emerged, but I did not want to be a stalker...and also I need to do a little bit of work today!

The bus is on the side of the building on Oglethorpe St and the crew was unloading about an hour ago when I rode by. I wanted to hang around to see if anyone emerged, but I did not want to be a stalker...and also I need to do a little bit of work today!

Cool Wilco is in town! Hopefully they'll go check out the ships on the river...

Can't wait for the show tonight :dancing

why would anyone sneak backstage? really, do you think the band will be psyched about this random intrusion? i guess it's bad enough that they have to run the gauntlet from venue to stage bus each night.

i gotta give credit to bands who walk the fine line between maintaining some personal space and don't piss off their rabid fanbase. i don't know how they do it.