Help my high school!

My high school, Kalamazoo Central, is one of six national finalists vying for the honor of having President Obama give their commencement speech this year. I graduated from there 24 years ago, but I'd still love for the kids there to have this opportunity.

If you're so inclined, please go here, go to the Kalamazoo Central video, and rate it a "5." Thanks!

(And of course, feel free to vote for one of the other schools, but I'd very much appreciate it if you could give KCHS a 5 and help them out.)

My old high school, where I now teach, is in one of the most conservative counties in the entire nation (no kidding). If Obama was invited, I think the school administrators would receive multiple death threats (no kidding).

Sorry, cryp, but choice number 2 (Denver School of Science and Technology) is literally right across the street from my house. I can't pass on an opportunity to throw rocks at a presidential limo from my porch.

Lammy, I believe I've told you this before, but you're out of your goddamn mind. :cheekkiss

You just want to be frisked by Secret Service agents, don't you?

That happened on Saturday ... I went to the University of Michigan commencement, where he also spoke.

I probably won't have a chance to go to this high school event.

• 1 month later...

The speech was on C-SPAN, but I watched the online feed at http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

Very cool for those kids. And I noticed that my old choir director is still there, and has the same bad haircut, 24 years later.

They said something about there being 1700 students at the school now. It was over 2000 when I went there. :huh

Just finished watching the K-Central graduation ceremony which was broadcast in its entirety by the local TV station. Each graduate got to shake the Prez's hand as he/she walked across the stage. Quite a ceremony and one that none of the participants will ever forget.

Edit: Well maybe one participant will forget.

This poor guy might remember for other reasons - yikes:

From CNN

Kalamazoo, Michigan (CNN) - Rescue workers had to resuscitate a man who collapsed in the middle of President Barack Obama's commencement address to a high school graduating class Monday night.

Obama was midway through the speech to graduates of Kalamazoo Central High School when witnesses say the man collapsed in the lower bleachers of Western Michigan University's arena where the event was held.

Paramedics and a local politician who is a doctor rushed to help the man. State Senator Tom George, a practicing physician and former medical director for Hospice of Greater Kalamazoo, told CNN affiliate WOOD he was a few rows in front of the man when he heard a "commotion".

Audience members fainting at presidential events, often in hot, crowded, rooms is not unusual. But spectators were surprised when this turned into a much more serious medical emergency.

"He was not breathing and he was pulseless", George said. Rescuers could be seen repeatedly pumping the victim's chest in the crowd, while the speech continued.

A stretcher was then brought, and he was wheeled to a waiting ambulance.

Medics told a pool reporter outside the area the man had been revived, and George told WOOD the victim was responding to treatment. He was taken to Bronson Methodist Hospital in Kalamazoo, but there was no word on his condition.

Wow. I guess if you're gonna go down at an event, it's good to do it at one where there are doctors.

If there's one thing Kalamazoo has, it's damn good hospitals. He should be in good hands at Bronson.