How do you buy music? (isues, quality, quantity)

i'm at a crossroads. the last few years i (like many of you) have been deluged with music and the ease of getting such music. initially, i got excited! (you mean i can just download the songs i like!) only to become overwhelmed. (i really like this, should i have cd copy?) i mean, if someone wants to get into dylan, for example, they find some blog or torrent and dl ALL of his albums. i thought this was a good thing, but i'm having second thoughts. it's TOO much. i don't know what to listen to any more. not to mention in what format. for example, the last two wilco albums i hemmed and hawed about downloading the leak. after listening, i decided to download WTA from itunes thinking i wanted it, but it wasn't a masterpiece. well, i think that kept me from giving it a good chance. with a cd, i'm more likely to devote time to the record and listen to the songs i don't initially like rather than pick and choose.

anyway, this is not that big of a deal compared to other issues in the world. however, i think for music lovers change in business, format, ect is presenting some issues that may or may not be affecting you/us/me. just thought it might be a good discussion outside of the basic music biz, format stuff we've discussed on here the last few years. :cheers :music

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a completist for about 5 bands...after that I will these days try and buy the album on vinyl if it comes with a download so I can have a copy for home listening and road listening. If I can not achieve that I will buy it on cd format first if it is under $10 (Usually week of onsale bestbuy has a good promo $8.99 or so)...if it is not I will just get it on Itunes or Amazon Music. I really am all over the place I know!

I was talking quite a bit about this recently in the "Is The CD Dead?" thread. I mentioned that I have a healthy distrust of computers and related technology. Files go bad or disappear, hard drives crap out, etc. I've been burned by technology too many times over the years to ever trust it 100%. If I buy a CD and don't place a very high value on it - liner notes are inessential or nonexistent, music is so-so, etc. - I don't mind putting it on my hard drive and iPod and reselling it. But it's rare I'll go for an mp3 only acquisition.

That being said, the internet has provided me with countless hours (which could surely be better spent elsewhere :lol) downloading live shows of favorite artists for free. Gotta like that. Is it all too much? Sure, but I put the iTunes DJ on and let it be my soundtrack if I don't feel like hearing too much from one artist or genre.

I am a completist for about 5 bands...after that I will these days try and buy the album on vinyl if it comes with a download so I can have a copy for home listening and road listening. If I can not achieve that I will buy it on cd format first if it is under $10 (Usually week of onsale bestbuy has a good promo $8.99 or so)...if it is not I will just get it on Itunes or Amazon Music. I really am all over the place I know!

who are you a completist with? for me it's neil young, gillian welch, and maybe jay farrar and tweedy.

i'm envious that you're okay with 'being all over the place'. guess that's the wave of the future and i'll have to get comfortable with it:)

VH -

You are having another crisis of faith. Put on some Van Halen.

I don't think I like music... ...the way i used to.

you got me Aman. i thought i had written something similar on here. sorry about that. Van Halen it is!

I was talking quite a bit about this recently in the "Is The CD Dead?" thread. I mentioned that I have a healthy distrust of computers and related technology. Files go bad or disappear, hard drives crap out, etc. I've been burned by technology too many times over the years to ever trust it 100%. If I buy a CD and don't place a very high value on it - liner notes are inessential or nonexistent, music is so-so, etc. - I don't mind putting it on my hard drive and iPod and reselling it. But it's rare I'll go for an mp3 only acquisition.

That being said, the internet has provided me with countless hours (which could surely be better spent elsewhere :lol) downloading live shows of favorite artists for free. Gotta like that. Is it all too much? Sure, but I put the iTunes DJ on and let it be my soundtrack if I don't feel like hearing too much from one artist or genre.

I also have been burned by technology to the point that I'm scared to do the file sharing in fear of crashing my computer. As I stated in the "is the cd dead" thread I prefer used(sometimes new) cd's off Amazon. You get the hard copy,case,artwork, liner notes for often less than a typical $9.99 download. I do import everything into Itunes and the cd often never comes out of the case again so it stays mint. I just picked up a Pernice Bros cd for $1.49+ $2.98 shipping. The cd was brand new in plastic. I have never had a single problem with a cd bought through Amazon. File sharing is definately the cheapest but I love throwin on a new cd and scouring the case for info.

who are you a completist with? for me it's neil young, gillian welch, and maybe jay farrar and tweedy.

i'm envious that you're okay with 'being all over the place'. guess that's the wave of the future and i'll have to get comfortable with it:)

you got me Aman. i thought i had written something similar on here. sorry about that. Van Halen it is!

I was not busting on you. But I think if you listen to The Full Bug, you may feel better.

i'm almost entirely digital. i back up two ways: at home to an external hard drive (via time machine on my mac) and online with carbonite. $56/year is worth it to completley back up my music/photos/etc. cd's can get scratched just as easily as a hard drive crashing! i will still buy vinyl though. especially if it comes with a digital download.

My 5 bands I aim to have everything by

REM

Radiohead

Wilco

Blur

The Cure

To a lesser extent

Springsteen

I think between these 6 bands I have 2500 songs of my 15000 on my ipod!

For a couple years I was buying mostly digital. But as time went on I found myself buying stuff I didn't really need (amazon.com deal of the day was dangerous for me), and more than I could reasonably listen to. Still, I didn't really miss the physical product and it was fun to buy tons of music on a whim.

As time went on I became overwhelmed by my collection, and realized that music didn't have the same meaning for me that it used to. It was just too easy. The excitement was gone.

At the beginning of this year I switched back to physical purchases (mostly CD, with some vinyl thrown in). I'm still probably buying more than I should, but I feel I have a greater appreciation for what I buy.

My problem is that I still feel burdened by my iPod. I find myself listening to stuff I don't particularly like just because it's there. I miss the days of just having a three CD changer or even a single disc player, when I would listen to a couple albums over and over because I loved them, not because I felt like I should. Sometimes I consider deleting some of the garbage from my iPod, but I can't bring myself to do it. For instance, maybe if I listen to the Everybodyfield one more time it will finally click. I don't want to take the chance of missing out on something great!

My problem is that I still feel burdened by my iPod. I find myself listening to stuff I don't particularly like just because it's there. I miss the days of just having a three CD changer or even a single disc player, when I would listen to a couple albums over and over because I loved them, not because I felt like I should. Sometimes I consider deleting some of the garbage from my iPod, but I can't bring myself to do it. For instance, maybe if I listen to the Everybodyfield one more time it will finally click. I don't want to take the chance of missing out on something great!

I used to have this problem. And it always bothered me. But I think that approach eventually helped me. I am now able to filter out a lot of stuff I find marginal a lot earlier than usual, which gives me more time to spend with the albums I really like. I still listen to as much as possible. But I find it easier to discern which albums I love and which ones I don't have much use for.

But I never delete anything. Sometimes a song will come on shuffle that I really like, which forces me to go to that album and it will finally click.

I am patiently awaiting A-man's post on this topic.

I buy cds, that is about it. I bought more last year than I have in a long time. I probably have enough music to listen to for several years without really needing to buy anymore. But - we know how that goes.

I have cds that I have never played before.

On Sundays, I like to listen to old/new songs that I have never heard before by way of Youtube.

I don't think I am really a completest on very many bands anymore. The few I can think of are: The Black Crowes (whose last album I listened to more than any new album in a long time), Wilco, U2, and Pearl Jam.

And if Pearl Jam keeps making albums like the last one, then I am done with them also.

Sometimes, I think the only music I really need are the Dead shows I can listen to by way of Archive.org.

I now have over 400 GB of Wilco live shows. I don't really sit around and listen to them though.

I have thousands of cds, tapes, and records. If I get tired of something, I just move on to something else.

Some albums I can listen to over and over again. Such as - the first Santana album. I have been listening to that album since I was 14 or so. It always moves me.

Although I am not much of a radio listener outside of the oldies AM station, and the BBC, I have recently got into the Phil Hendrie Show. It is not music, but it is pretty funny stuff.

I am patiently awaiting A-man's post on this topic.

As am I. Judging from my short period of time on this site and a few profile views of the "Tyrant of Torrent" I'm guessing he's well versed on this subject. That being said I can almost picture his "den" with walls of vinyl filled milk crates,stacks of 8-tracks and perhaps even a reel to reel. Those links aren't foolin me, I'm sure his portfolio is diversified.

I buy both vinyl and cd formats for the following artists: Wilco, Springsteen, MMJ, Dr. Dog, DBT's and that's about it. For new stuff that I'm unfamiliar with I usually buy the cd first as it's cheaper, and if I really like it i come back and buy the vinyl. For a truly insane project I'm working on documenting all of my vinyl, click on my flickr link below.

As am I. Judging from my short period of time on this site and a few profile views of the "Tyrant of Torrent" I'm guessing he's well versed on this subject. That being said I can almost picture his "den" with walls of vinyl filled milk crates,stacks of 8-tracks and perhaps even a reel to reel. Those links aren't foolin me, I'm sure his portfolio is diversified.

Come on Dave, Give Me a Break.

I wish I had a reel to reel tape player. I have access to such things, but I don't own one.

I buy both vinyl and cd formats for the following artists: Wilco, Springsteen, MMJ, Dr. Dog, DBT's and that's about it. For new stuff that I'm unfamiliar with I usually buy the cd first as it's cheaper, and if I really like it i come back and buy the vinyl. For a truly insane project I'm working on documenting all of my vinyl, click on my flickr link below.

I've thought about doing that. Mainly, to show off the nifty gifties that use to come with albums. Of course, someone out there somewhere has already done that, I am sure.

I'm gonna do it 10 records at a time with commentary on each photo and try to show the inserts, etc. I have no timetable for the project, but thought it would be fun to do in spare time. I gotta say that already after the first 20, I'm realizing how much time it may take.

I'm gonna do it 10 records at a time with commentary on each photo and try to show the inserts, etc. I have no timetable for the project, but thought it would be fun to do in spare time. I gotta say that already after the first 20, I'm realizing how much time it may take.

Hats off to you, that is a pretty cool deal. I think it is cool because you are adding text, so it is not just another photo of an album cover.

I am trying to recall what KISS vinyl I have. I think I only have the first album on vinyl.

I've been using my local library system to try out music I'm interested in. I recently went through a couple month jazz binge and was able to get almost anything I read about using my local library system.

I do that a lot too. I've rationalized that it's OK to copy those since it's really my tax dollars that bought it in the first place. No replies are needed from you bubble bursters out there.

For a couple years I was buying mostly digital. But as time went on I found myself buying stuff I didn't really need (amazon.com deal of the day was dangerous for me), and more than I could reasonably listen to. Still, I didn't really miss the physical product and it was fun to buy tons of music on a whim.

As time went on I became overwhelmed by my collection, and realized that music didn't have the same meaning for me that it used to. It was just too easy. The excitement was gone.

At the beginning of this year I switched back to physical purchases (mostly CD, with some vinyl thrown in). I'm still probably buying more than I should, but I feel I have a greater appreciation for what I buy.

this is me! i'm always hoping something will click. been trying dylan, springsteen, and tom waits for years waiting for them to click. i too am overwhelmed by my collection. over the last few years, i've sold off and deleted a lot of stuff. i want to go back to buying cds, but digital is so damn easy. also, emusic has so much good stuff now. my problem is also completism. i hate having one song by an artist. i like to listen to stuff in the album format. now, if i go back to more cds, finding stuff may become an issue as cds are fast going out of print.

i'm a completist with neil young, jay farrar, jeff tweedy, gillian welch and to some extent, pat metheny.

my other problem is i tend to get excited about the possibility of a band, or my idea of what they should be. examples, DBT, magnolia electric, black keys. however, they just don't click with me even though i buy their stuff hoping it will click.

my wife thinks i'm nuts. she says, 'just listen to what you like!' sounds like good advice.

Come on Dave, Give Me a Break.

I wish I had a reel to reel tape player. I have access to such things, but I don't own one.

I believe what I'm supposed to say is "one break...comin up" and then leap off an amp showing care not to split my fuchsia sequin pants

my problem is also completism. i hate having one song by an artist. i like to listen to stuff in the album format. now, if i go back to more cds, finding stuff may become an issue as cds are fast going out of print.

i'm a completist with neil young, jay farrar, jeff tweedy, gillian welch and to some extent, pat metheny.

Take out Pat Methany and Neil Young and even the artists are the same for me. (I should say I'd like to own every Neil Young album, but it's simply never going to happen). And when I was into mp3's I would NEVER buy one song by an artist. I always bought the album. And if I don't like at least 75% of that album, the artist is done for me. Ruins the rest of the music.

I just want to say that I love threads like these because they make me feel like less of a freak. Around here I'm just a normal music lover. In fact, my music knowledge/passion probably doesn't even compare to many of you. In may day to day life the people I know just don't get it. Some are amazed by me (that can be positive or negative). At least one person has implied that as an adult with a job I shouldn't be spending my time on the stuff. Most are simply disinterested in the subject. As a female, the worst are the men who assume I have nothing to say on the subject.