What's with all the hate for HMD?

I've seen it a lot here, people saying HMD is a bad song because it isn't as 'deep' or artsy as the other songs on YHF, which, while I agree, I still think it's an amazing song and one of my favorites on YHF. Is there something wrong with me or am have I just been misunderstanding people's attitudes about this track?

Guest Speed Racer

I've never noticed any hate for the song in itself, but I think some people were growing tired of it as a staple in setlists. I love Shot in the Arm and ITMWLY, but I could go six years without hearing them live and be much, much happier.

Guest Ordinary Beehive

I wasn't much a fan of HMD originally, but have grown to love it. Originally, I didn't like the feel of it mid-album. I thought it kind of ruined the flow of the album. Now, I couldn't disagree more. I think it's perfect where it is.

That said, it's still probably my second least favorite song on YHF, in front of only War On War. But that's no knock on either song, more so a testament to the greatness of the others.

yes, you have noticed a certain disdain for that song and in fact any song or album by Wilco that doesn't capture the serious tone or artistic experimentation of the YHF/AGIB period. HMD being an odd one due to being a "cheesy" song a serious artistic album.

unfortunately, as a fan from the AM days, one of the byproducts of YHF was the "serious Wilco fan" which I think was reinforced by a same self serious attitude by Tweedy at the time. you know, a certain preteniousness.

Wilco to me was a band with a broader vision and artistic vision to pull it off, but anyone who saw them on the Being There tour knows they were a fun rock band. I think the fun of it all or the pureness of it all was lost during this serious period. Probably the reason a great straightforward record like SBS is dismissed as boring, pedestrian dad rock.

Anyway, just in case no one wants to cop to this attitude, I thought I would throw this out there

Guest Speed Racer

Anyway, just in case no one wants to cop to this attitude, I thought I would throw this out there

Always good to speak for other people. :thumbup

Guest Speed Racer

I think the "cheezy" remarks are kind of funny, considering ITMWLY sounds way cheesier in my opinion - not to mention "Reservations," (who didn't hear that the first time and finish the line before hearing it?) "I've got reservations about so many things / but not about you" is easily the cheesiest phrase on the album to me. Consequently, "Reservations" is also my least favorite track. HMD is about being a kid, doing things that kids do, and missing that innocence. I can dig that. The self-pitying vibe of "Reservations"? Jeff has done self-pitying much, much better in other songs.

I wasn't much a fan of HMD originally, but have grown to love it. Originally, I didn't like the feel of it mid-album. I thought it kind of ruined the flow of the album. Now, I couldn't disagree more. I think it's perfect where it is.

That said, it's still probably my second least favorite song on YHF, in front of only War On War. But that's no knock on either song, more so a testament to the greatness of the others.

I always thought Jesus Etc, Ashes and HMD fit together real nicely and they were almost like a suite. I couldn't imagine the album without any of those songs on there.

I think the "cheezy" remarks are kind of funny, considering ITMWLY sounds way cheesier in my opinion - not to mention "Reservations," (who didn't hear that the first time and finish the line before hearing it?) "I've got reservations about so many things / but not about you" is easily the cheesiest phrase on the album to me. Consequently, "Reservations" is also my least favorite track. HMD is about being a kid, doing things that kids do, and missing that innocence. I can dig that. The self-pitying vibe of "Reservations"? Jeff has done self-pitying much, much better in other songs.

I absolutley love Reservations. I was so happy to hear it get played in Tucson last year. I'll take Heavy Metal Drummer as well, great rock song. Kamera is probably my least favorite.

It's interesting that these two songs were both mentioned. Reservations and HMD are the only two tracks on the album that Jay Bennett didn't help write.

I love Heavy Metal Drummer. It's not one of my favorite Wilco songs, and I don't get very excited when they play it live either. But I still love it because it was how I was introduced to Wilco. Someone burned me a CD with Heavy Metal Drummer and Jesus, Etc. on it and the rest was history. I was hooked. As someone else said, I think the song is about looking back on simpler, more innocent time in life. A beautiful song, and not cheesy at all in my opinion.

I always wanted to walk into a fancy restaurant that people have a terribly tough time to get into on a Saturday night and seductively coo to the hot hostess "I've got reservations...."

I've never noticed any hate for the song in itself, but I think some people were growing tired of it as a staple in setlists. I love Shot in the Arm and ITMWLY, but I could go six years without hearing them live and be much, much happier.

This.

Here's something I learned from tallying VC's votes on the most popular Jeff Tweedy songs last year, the least popular songs on Yankee are still in the 30-40 range of the songs for which people voted. They are all in the 90th percentile.

I happen to think HMD is pretty tremendous myself, it's the great single on the album (even though I think it was actually War on War that was released as a single).

--Mike

Guest Ordinary Beehive

"I've got reservations about so many things / but not about you" is easily the cheesiest phrase on the album to me.

Personally, I think that's one of the best lines on the entire album.

It's interesting that these two songs were both mentioned. Reservations and HMD are the only two tracks on the album that Jay Bennett didn't help write.

Jeff is listed as the sole writer of I Am Trying To Break Your Heart as well.

I've seen it a lot here, people saying HMD is a bad song because it isn't as 'deep' or artsy as the other songs on YHF, which, while I agree, I still think it's an amazing song and one of my favorites on YHF. Is there something wrong with me or am have I just been misunderstanding people's attitudes about this track?

What a bunch of hooey, propagated, I suspect, by scarf-wearing hipsters who sneer at life's simpler pleasures.

Guest Speed Racer

Personally, I think that's one of the best lines on the entire album.

There are many mopey Wilco songs that make me think, "That is exactly how I feel when I'm down!" and Reservations is one of the few that makes me think, "Oh god, do I sound like that?!" It's lyrics aren't that much of a step above Leave Me or One Wing, but the music saves it from being the butt of my jokes.

I love the lyrics to Reservations, and I definitely think it's one of the best love songs that Jeff has written.

"I'm bound to these choices so hard to make/I'm bound by this feeling so easy to fake"

I think the song really shows off Jeff's ability to make such simple lyrics carry so much emotional weight.

Guest Speed Racer

I'm being hard on the song, to be sure, but part of it is that it immediately follows Poor Places, and let's face it, that song is impossible to follow.

The two lines that just annoy me to death are the chorus and the first line. The rest of it is pretty great, but those just = cheezball to my ears.

I'm being hard on the song, to be sure, but part of it is that it immediately follows Poor Places, and let's face it, that song is impossible to follow.

The two lines that just annoy me to death are the chorus and the first line. The rest of it is pretty great, but those just = cheezball to my ears.

Just as I was about to ask what version of YHF you were listening to when "Heavy Metal Drummer" comes after "Poor Places," I realized you were talking about "Reservations." Reading the thread title and your comment threw me off for just a moment. That is all.

I love the lyrics to Reservations, and I definitely think it's one of the best love songs that Jeff has written.

"I'm bound to these choices so hard to make/I'm bound by this feeling so easy to fake"

I think the song really shows off Jeff's ability to make such simple lyrics carry so much emotional weight.

Talk about simple lyrics carrying emotional weight.. how about "unlock my body and move myself to dance." For me, that line takes a nice, simple sweet song and propels it into another galaxy about the power of music. I could never put into words what music meant to me, and then I heard that line and was like... "THAT'S IT!!" (think Lucy with Schroeder at the piano.) That man so perfectly reflected how music makes me feel and why it's such a huge thing in my life.

And how could it be cheesy when he manages to bring so many of us back to a simpler time? It's not cheesy or schmaltzy if it makes you feel something nice. I like this song and sing along loudly when I hear it.

On a side note, I convinced some dude in Scranton to lift up his shirt at that line. Jeff said something about dude always flashing him .. and the dude said that he was hot for Jeff... and I was like, "Hey, it was my idea. What about me?"

Skunked again.

And how could it be cheesy when he manages to bring so many of us back to a simpler time? It's not cheesy or schmaltzy if it makes you feel something nice. I like this song and sing along loudly when I hear it.

I agree completely. In fact, I've never thought any Wilco song was "cheesy".