Mrs. PopTodd and I just heard a song of theirs over at YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sj5_WITMpA

We liked it and are thinking of going to see them at EmptyBottle while Pitchfork is going on.

Any fans? Info on the band? You all going?

Thanks!

Great, great band/artist. All of her 7" are worth searching out. I have a tour compilation from them that has all of those songs...if I find it, I'll send you a PM. It has 14 songs total. (PS, I found it, if anyone else is interested...) I haven't seen them in concert but I found this after finding it damn near impossible to find the 7"s.

I guess the best description of this band (which is really only 2 people) would be that they are similar to Dum Dum Girls but only better. Kinda stoner/druggie subject matter but with a nice scuzzy almost shoe gaze on top of girl pop band sound.

Just listened to that tour CD-R and it's pretty much all kinds of awesome. Like My Bloody Valentine doing girl group songs with Kim Deal on vocals.

:wub

It makes me happy and summery.

I have liked what I have heard from these guys.

Just bought my tickets to see them at the Empty Bottle (Chicago) on 7/17.

At 40, am I gonna be the grandpa of the room?

bestcoastfront452_.jpg

Just pre ordered.

And the first single is available for free download at Pitchfork.

Just about to give it a listen.

They're much better on record than they are live.

Don't say that! I'm excIted to see them!

:realmad

Don't say that! I'm excIted to see them!

:realmad

I mean, go see 'em if you wanna...they're perfectly capable and everything, but the layers of fuzz and distortion are really stripped back, and it makes you realize the utter banality of the lyrics.

I'll probably be there too. :lol

Nice Mustang!

• 3 weeks later...

Saw her last night at the Bottle.

Verdict:

An excellent show.

She has an endearing, charming stage presence and the songs hold up extremely well in a live setting. The wife was just as into it as I was. A really wonderful show and a great time.

The one thing is that it would be great if either of the other folks in the band sang some backing vocals, but it's a small complaint. I would go again (and again). Can't wait for the record. (Yes, I know that it leaked, but I ordered the CD and ... aside from the one single that I got from Pitchfork ... I waiting to hear that.)

Of course there's already video of last night's show on YouTube...

• 2 weeks later...

Been listening to them quite a bit lately. My wife loves them and I think they are pretty good. The lyrics get on my nerves a little bit though, they are very childish but I guess they are supposed to be that way..... Good summer record, but if I'm in the mood for Surf/Indie/Rock, I'd rather put on Surfer Blood any day. But I think I'll still go and see them in Atlanta in Sept. The Drunken Unicorn sounds like a nice small venue, just the way I like them. :rock

Been listening to them quite a bit lately. My wife loves them and I think they are pretty good. The lyrics get on my nerves a little bit though, they are very childish but I guess they are supposed to be that way..... Good summer record, but if I'm in the mood for Surf/Indie/Rock, I'd rather put on Surfer Blood any day. But I think I'll still go and see them in Atlanta in Sept. The Drunken Unicorn sounds like a nice small venue, just the way I like them. :rock

They are a lot of fun in such a setting. A fun, no-frills rock show with a good band.

They are a lot of fun in such a setting. A fun, no-frills rock show with a good band.

Drunken Unicorn reminds me of Philly's Khyber Pass if that means anything to you.

Although, It's in a basement of a hotel that no longer exists, just the basement complex which has a dance club and the Drunken Unicorn. Super loud sound system. I bet this show sells out quickly.

I like the leadoff track, "Boyfriend," but haven't gotten into the album as a whole yet.

Yeah, the production of the album bothers me some. It's a little too reverby to the point where the drums get lost in the mix.. It's a little hard to listen to at times, but still a good record. I'll have to checkout Gold Motel.