• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuddy Duddy..... :lol

LouieB

Sometimes the term fits though. If you were saying that it's for the best that say, I don't know, Clapton, seemed to be 'fading away' and enjoying collecting royalties, I'd probably agree. But Bowie, while no doubt not at the height of power anymore, put out records in the 90s that signified he was still the chameleon artist doing stuff that, if nothing else, challenged him and didn't merely feed off his legacy.

I figure this is all I need:

I might include some Thin White Duke, but yeah.

Sometimes the term fits though. If you were saying that it's for the best that say, I don't know, Clapton, seemed to be 'fading away' and enjoying collecting royalties, I'd probably agree. But Bowie, while no doubt not at the height of power anymore, put out records in the 90s that signified he was still the chameleon artist doing stuff that, if nothing else, challenged him and didn't merely feed off his legacy.

There are those that would argue that Bowie never did an original thing in his life; that he merely chased whatever trend was current at the time. (A rock critic in the Reader wrote an article to this effect decades ago calling him a suitcase artist.)

I understand your point on one level, yet maybe he feels like he has nothing left to prove, or maybe he isn't in very good health. There are artists who can produce original material in their later careers and others that it is simply painful to watch (take Dylan's most recent album...please...). Is Bowie capable of coming up with something worth his time? Maybe? Clapton seems content to be the guitar god he always was. Perhaps Bowie no longer feels he needs to be the cameleon any longer. Been there, done that, time to relax and collect the royalties. At least it would be fun to see him be in a movie from time to time.

LouieB

There are those that would argue that Bowie never did an original thing in his life; that he merely chased whatever trend was current at the time. (A rock critic in the Reader wrote an article to this effect decades ago calling him a suitcase artist.)

I understand your point on one level, yet maybe he feels like he has nothing left to prove, or maybe he isn't in very good health. There are artists who can produce original material in their later careers and others that it is simply painful to watch (take Dylan's most recent album...please...). Is Bowie capable of coming up with something worth his time? Maybe? Clapton seems content to be the guitar god he always was. Perhaps Bowie no longer feels he needs to be the cameleon any longer. Been there, done that, time to relax and collect the royalties. At least it would be fun to see him be in a movie from time to time.

LouieB

I agree with all of this, but the point is what you're saying here contradicts your earlier fuddy-duddy post, which suggested to me that you think older artists should just fade away and collect royalties.

Maybe I'm wrong, who cares. :lol

Maybe Bowie's gonna pull a Duchamp (one of his heroes) & give the appearance of retiring, while secretly toiling at a career-summing work (ala etant-donnes) that won't see the light of day until after he's gone.

Elton John...

LouieB

Word.

I agree with all of this, but the point is what you're saying here contradicts your earlier fuddy-duddy post, which suggested to me that you think older artists should just fade away and collect royalties.

Maybe I'm wrong, who cares. :lol

I don't think either......or I think both.

If Bowie can figure out a new angle to his career that is going to be interesting and vital, go for it. Clapton hasn't been really interesting in decades, but he still keeps putting stuff out. How are we supposed to feel about him? Or the Rolling Stones who are making a ton of dough this week on Exile, yet they can't think of a single new thing to do. But hey, that's okay they are the Rolling Stones, Clapton is Clapton, Bowie could do the same and make plenty of folks here happy just to have new product of some sort.

As for caring or not caring for older artists...see the jazz thread. Some people can do the same old thing and never look back because each day the same old thing is new.

Actually I personally like Let's Dance and I like Heros and I like Young Americans. My daughter who is 23 adores anything Bowie does, this year or any year, even that stupid Labryinth movie. Man Who Fell to Earth is a great movie. I would like to see Bowie act if he doesn't care to sing.

LouieB

As for caring or not caring for older artists...see the jazz thread. Some people can do the same old thing and never look back because each day the same old thing is new.

That's a whole other bowl of soup. Age prejudice in the arts only seems to be tolerated when it is directed at rock musicians.

I don't think either......or I think both.

If Bowie can figure out a new angle to his career that is going to be interesting and vital, go for it. Clapton hasn't been really interesting in decades, but he still keeps putting stuff out. How are we supposed to feel about him? Or the Rolling Stones who are making a ton of dough this week on Exile, yet they can't think of a single new thing to do. But hey, that's okay they are the Rolling Stones, Clapton is Clapton, Bowie could do the same and make plenty of folks here happy just to have new product of some sort.

Actually I personally like Let's Dance and I like Heros and I like Young Americans. My daughter who is 23 adores anything Bowie does, this year or any year, even that stupid Labryinth movie. Man Who Fell to Earth is a great movie. I would like to see Bowie act if he doesn't care to sing.

LouieB

Discussions of this nature make me appreciate Bruce Springsteen that much more. Since he turned 50, he has released five Studio records, Two liv records, four live dvds, a live historic show, released a remasterd edition of a classic work and performed live more than many acts half his age (didn't feel like counting all his live shows since septemter 1999).

Discussions of this nature make me appreciate Bruce Springsteen that much more. Since he turned 50, he has released five Studio records, Two liv records, four live dvds, a live historic show, released a remasterd edition of a classic work and performed live more than many acts half his age (didn't feel like counting all his live shows since septemter 1999).

From a hardcore Stones fan, this general sentiment/list of things could come, too.

That's a whole other bowl of soup. Age prejudice in the arts only seems to be tolerated when it is directed at rock musicians.

Maybe that is because alot of rock artists get lame when they are older or just simply aren't that interesting any more. I know what you are talking about. Then again rock bazillionaires like Bowie and Elton John and (fill in the blank) really have little motivation to do anything new or creative after awhile. They generally don't get dropped by their record companies because their back catalogues are worth a gazillion dollars. Even older rock artists that are still slightly hunger put in the effort, but others honestly don't have to.

LouieB

There are plenty of older rockers that don't live off of royalties/megafame that simply choose not to write/perform any more, though. I think it's a little unfair to call folks out resting on their laurels in old(-er) age simply because they're rockers. Most people like to kick back/retirement-mode when they hit above mid-life, regardless of profession....