• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm OK with only liking Dylan's songs when done by other singers. But you're missing out.

There are certain artist with distinct voices who's songs sound awkward for lack of a better word when covered. For me Dylan's covers sound alot more natural. Almost like they were made to be covered. Maybe its because he is the greatest song writer of all time. I've heard Neil Young covers that almost made me vomit, then I hear a Dylan cover and alot of times think "yeah, that sounds pretty good"

I like Edie Brickell and New Bohemians' version of "Hard rain's a-gonna fall." At least I think i do because it's been about a milllion years since i heard it.

Also, when I was a d.j. at the radio station in college and had the graveyard shift i used to spin a replacement's b-side "like a rolling pin," which, while not a masterpiece, did have a certain 'mats booze-soaked charm.

Actually, the whole I'm Not There soundtrack is pretty stellar. There are a few definite classics, and pretty much everything else is well above average. One of the biggest surprises to me was Jack Johnson's rather good medley of Mama You've Been On My Mind and Last Thoughts on Woody Guthrie.

The only song on there I can't stand is Sufjan's cover of Ring Them Bells. And the Hold Steady's Please Crawl Out Your Window. But that's more a case of not being able to deal with the vocals. Sufjan's cover was just all around awful.

I'll second that. I love that version. As also mentioned the version of 'pressing on' is great and made me go back to re-evaluate the song and its associated album, Saved. Also, from the 'Bob-Fest' live album I loved Neil Young's version of Tom Thumb Blues and Pearl Jam's 'Masters of War'. Also, Lambchop's Kurt Wagner does a typically restrained version of 'You're a Big Girl Now'.

There are certain artist with distinct voices who's songs sound awkward for lack of a better word when covered. For me Dylan's covers sound alot more natural. Almost like they were made to be covered. Maybe its because he is the greatest song writer of all time. I've heard Neil Young covers that almost made me vomit, then I hear a Dylan cover and alot of times think "yeah, that sounds pretty good"

I feel the exact opposite way. As far as I am concerned, virtually every Dylan cover either misses the point completely, or misses the emotion completely. Hendrix was the only one who nailed it. Just my stupid opinion.

Andrew Bird closed his main set at the Winnipeg Folk Festival with a cover of "Oh Sister", and it was pretty fantastic!!

Perhaps my fave Dylan cover of all time is Jeff Buckley's version of "I Shall Be Released". That one has got me through alot of dark moments.

Andrew Bird closed his main set at the Winnipeg Folk Festival with a cover of "Oh Sister", and it was pretty fantastic!!

There is a recording of him doing this song with Nora O'Connor. It is on a comp from one of the rock magazines. Very well done.

LouieB

i generally feel the way matt does.

if you haven't heard/seen it, track down the roots' cover of masters of war. i think it's become my fave dylan cover ever. it's so bizarre

Yep, I take it back. Hendrix and The Roots.

I think a lot of those later British Invasion bands did not really have the songwriting talent The Beatles had, so they turned to doing covers in search of a hit. I wonder who was the first British band to cover Dylan? Manfred Man?

I think a lot of those later British Invasion bands did not really have the songwriting talent The Beatles had, so they turned to doing covers in search of a hit. I wonder who was the first British band to cover Dylan? Manfred Man?

hmmm. good question. i know i've got manfred mann doing "with god on our side" and "if you gotta go" on an old ep - from about 65. the hollies did a lot of dylan covers too, maybe they did an earlier one, although i doubt it.

i think bands like fairport convention & fotheringay etc... did have their own songs - i think they just loved dylan more than trying to get a hit.

Oh I meant all of those pop bands. Not Fairport Convention.

Manfred Man also did Just Like A Woman (1966).

I suppose some of that was due to success The Byrds had covering Dylan. Which I have never really cared for all that much. I don't consider Ballad of Easy Rider a Dylan song, as he gave McGuinn the opening, and Roger wrote the rest.

i think the brits back then just treated them like good songs with a good melody, rather than treating the lyrics as being more important than everything else. don't know if that makes sense?

It doesn't make sense to me. Do you think Dylan was doing anything different with that song?