I was commenting on JASB's (now clarified) statement that lyrics were the most important thing to Dylan. You jumped into the middle of that, and so I misunderstood. Sorry.

:lol the way you keep saying that, it makes it seem like i said what you think i said, rather than what i actually said. even i am starting to doubt myself.

anyway, as for reading about dylan - Chronicles (as Shakespeare said) is a brilliant book to read, forget about if you want to know anything about dylan or not. also, i really love Invisible Republic - i think you could read either of those books and enjoy them, and still come away knowing nothing concrete about dylan - which is a good thing.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think he's absolutely fascinating too! And I think it's even more fascinating that he's still such a topic of contention. I sometimes wonder if my disinterest in reading about him implies that he's one of the few artists I like whom I don't want to know everything about because some myth of mine might be shattered or altered? Usually I want to know absolutely everything about musicians I like, but with him I still like a little mystery.

I can see this. But the funny thing is, Dylan's story is so shrouded in mystery that you can read several accounts, and each one will tell a different story. And none will seem any more real than the others. It's astounding, really. He's simultaneously more and less interesting than he seems at first. And that just makes me want to read more. It's a bit of an endless cycle.

And considering Dylan's autobiography (so far) was as idiosyncratic and non-revealing as his interviews, there's no reason to think this will ever change. Dylan's been playing the smartest marketing game in the music world for 40+ years now.

Guest Speed Racer

I can see this. But the funny thing is, Dylan's story is so shrouded in mystery that you can read several accounts, and each one will tell a different story. It's astounding, really. He's simultaneously more and less interesting than he seems at first. And that just makes me want to read more. It's a bit of an endless cycle.

I think that's exactly what keeps me from wanting to read about him. My version of "keeping the mystery" saves me a lot more hours than yours. :lol Of course, I followed Jandek pretty fanatically pre-live show, and that never got old for me. I'm as picky about my bios and auto-bios as I am about my covers, I guess.

He may have been joking, but he was certainly more of a song and dance man than he was the voice of a generation. The room explodes with laughter when he says it, but he doesn't. I've often thought he was a bit pissed off with how much people in the room laughed at the joke.

ETA: you know, it was meant to be funny, but not THAT funny. :lol

just to change things up a bit. i was re-reading Huckleberry Finn the other week and i found the line "the wind was trying to whisper something to me and I couldn't make out what it was". wouldn't it be good if "love and theft" turned out to be completely made up of stolen lines from books?

Check out 4:35 of that video I posted.

ETA: you know, it was meant to be funny, but not THAT funny. :lol

That's an interesting take on it, never thought of it that way. I can't watch the video from work but I remember seeing it before and I picture Dylan doing his best to not crack a complete smile, I always thought he was being completely tongue in cheek but maybe there was a little element of truth in there for him.

How great is the Dylan legend that here we are, 45 years later, debating the meaning behind a tongue in cheek (or not tongue in cheek?) response to a simple question?

I personally just thought it was a response to how dumb the "voice of a generation" claims were. He was just singing songs, not speaking for men the world over.

I agree with the literary greatness that is Chronicles. Bob Dylan is a great writer, and not just of songs. My "research" of Dylan comprises of Chronicles, Don't Look Back, and No Direction Home, and even I know about the "song and dance man" comment. I am glad, however, it's far more song than dance.

Interesting conflict of opinions about song covers by Dylan, though. In No Direction Home, Dylan criticizes artists like the Byrds for covering his songs, but yet on his Theme Time Radio Hour show, he said song covering is becoming a lost great art form.

I didn't figure anyone would get that, unless they were a Dylan freak of some sort.

How about Bruce Springsteen's version of Chimes Of Freedom?

It's never been officially released, but in the 1974 shows he did before he started recording Born to Run in earnest, Bruce did a lovely cover of I Want You.

Guest Speed Racer

It's never been officially released, but in the 1974 shows he did before he started recording Born to Run in earnest, Bruce did a lovely cover of I Want You.

I don't care for Bruce too much, and I also don't care for "I Want You" too much, but I hear you say this and I think I would love it.

I like Sheryl Crow's take on Mississippi. There! I said it.

I like Dixie Chicks's take on Mississippi. There! I said it.

Robyn Hitchcock - Robyn sings

Disc: 1

1. Visions Of Johanna Listen

2. Tangled Up In Blue Listen

3. Not Dark Yet Listen

4. 4th Time Around Listen

5. Desolation Row Listen

6. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue Listen

7. Dignity Listen

8. Visions Of Johanna Listen

Disc: 2

1. Tell Me Mama Listen