Literature in song

So to kick off the school year I thought I would make my daughter a mix tape of songs that have literary references. She is a fan of rock trivia and puzzles so I'm hoping to keep her busy figuring out the references for awhile (If this has been done already I would love to get a link). Just a few off the top of my head to get the ball rolling:

Nantucket Sleighride - Mountain - Moby Dick (possibly the finest whaling song in rock?)

Ramble On - Zep - Lord of the rings

Don't stand so close to me - Police - Lolita

"Graham Greene" - John Cale - Graham Greene (writer)

"A Child's Christmas in Wales" - John Cale - A Child's Christmas in Wales

Richard Buckner - The Hill from spoon River anthology.

Bob Dylan and Allen Ginsburg - some of William Blakes songs set to music

(I do like Nantucket Sleighride....)

How about Ophelia by The Band? Not sure.

LouieB

The Beatles - I Am the Walrus ("Man you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe")

X - Adult Books ("jackie susann meant it that way") Not sure if this counts as literature, but anyway...

The Magnetic Fields - I Don't Want to Get Over You ("I could make a career of being blue--I could dress in black and read Camus")

Blur - Country House (He's reading balzac, knocking back prozac")

Simon & Garfunkel - The Dangling Conversation ("And you read your Emily Dickinson, and I my Robert Frost")

Loudon Wainwright III - Cobwebs ("Yeah it might have started back with Jack Kerouac")

Dexy's Midnight Runners - Dance Stance ("never heard about (Oscar Wilde) / don't want know about (and Brendan Behan) / don't think about (Shaun O'Casey) / don't care about (George Bernard Shaw, Samuel Beckett) / won't talk about (Gene O'Neil) / won't know about (Edna O'Brian) / won't think about (Laurence Sterne)")

Prince - The Ballad of Dorothy Parker

Wilco & Billy Bragg - Walt Whitman’s Niece

Van Morrison - Too Long in Exile ("Just like James Joyce, baby / Too long in exile Just like Samuel Beckett baby / Too long in exile Just like Oscar Wilde")

First one to pop into mind is Paul Westerberg's "Crackle and Drag" (about Sylvia Plath - title taken from her final poem, "Edge")

Also not sure how strictly you're defining "literary" but Lucero's "The Devil and Maggie Chascarillo" is based on the character in the Love and Rockets comic series.

The Dylan thread may find it's way in here...

I was thinking about songs that might make my daughter have to do a little work to figure out what the literary references are.

For example I would not put "Romeo and Juliet" by Dire Straits on the list.

But the topic is interesting to me so even the more obvious ones are great and thanks to everyone for the great ideas so far.

It's funny, when I read PopTodds "Golden Hair" for some reason I read it as "Sister Golden Hair" by America. I was trying to make sense of that being a Joyce poem. :lol

I was thinking the Piper at the Gates of dawn would work but then realized that's an album, not a song.

I believe The Crane Wife by the Decemberists is based on a book of some sort.

"Flan Awoke" - Dogbowl (Flan by Stephen Tunney)

61QG0ENuzFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Of course, Dogbowl is Stephen Tunney. And the album, Flan, is based entirely upon the book that he wrote, himself. But still... that counts, huh?

Oh, and Iron Maiden has a ton of these...

• "Murder in the Rue Morgue"

• "Flight of Icarus"

• "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner"

• "Prodigal Son"

• "Phantom of the Opera"

• "Stranger in a Strange Land"

• "Brave, New World"

etc....

Thank goodness for Wikipedia...there is no reason to talk about any of this stuff anymore...

LouieB

:lol I guess I could have saved everbody some time by doing the Wiki thing first!

Thanks for the link.

The Magnetic Fields - I Don't Want to Get Over You ("I could make a career of being blue--I could dress in black and read Camus")

A great lyric from a stellar album full of great lyrics.

Thank goodness for Wikipedia...there is no reason to talk about any of this stuff anymore...

LouieB

Well, given that many/most of the songs mentioned here are not on that list, I think there's still plenty of room to discuss the topic.

Well, given that many/most of the songs mentioned here are not on that list, I think there's still plenty of room to discuss the topic.

I think that was Louie's point.