• 4 weeks later...

showing him right now...3 songs so far

Sunken Treasure

Mountainbed

I'll Fight

Then:

You Are Not Alone

I'm The Man Who Loves You (dedicated to his wife...as I believe he usually does)

Jeff sounded great...looked a little worn, but it was good to get a small snippet of Jeff solo.

From Rollingstone.com:

"The dreary day, with temperatures in the forties and steady rain coming down, caused organizers to close the dome's retractable roof, but the sun finally peeked through the windows when Jeff Tweedy hit the stage. With an acoustic guitar and harmonica rack, Tweedy ran through "Out of Tune," "I'll Go" and "I'm the Man Who Loves You," which he dedicated to his wife, Sue Miller."

Uhh...not a Wilco fan, eh?

From Rollingstone.com:

"The dreary day, with temperatures in the forties and steady rain coming down, caused organizers to close the dome's retractable roof, but the sun finally peeked through the windows when Jeff Tweedy hit the stage. With an acoustic guitar and harmonica rack, Tweedy ran through "Out of Tune," "I'll Go" and "I'm the Man Who Loves You," which he dedicated to his wife, Sue Miller."

Uhh...not a Wilco fan, eh?

You expected Rolling Stone to actually fact check, proof read or research something?

Really?

You expected Rolling Stone to actually fact check, proof read or research something?

Really?

Yes, I would expect that RS holds some standard of journalistic practice...this is just plain lazy - I'm looking at both the writer AND editors.

Yes, I would expect that RS holds some standard of journalistic practice...this is just plain lazy - I'm looking at both the writer AND editors.

I agree. Even if RS is long past its (arguably) glory days, it's not too much to ask to get the damn song titles correct. Any monkey could do that! One out of three? That is just absurd.

I got a lifetime subscription to RS for $99 almost 30 years ago, and I gave one to my nephew about 10 years ago. So while I can't really complain about bang for my buck, I can whine when a formerly somewhat respectable magazine seems to have lost all its standards. They almost never say a word about Wilco, they totally ignored Solid Sound in their "best of the fests" coverage--it's kinda lame. Isn't Fricke still on their editorial board?

Guest Speed Racer

they totally ignored Solid Sound in their "best of the fests" coverage

What would make it one of the best fests of the year? It had only one big name, right? Why was it such a huge draw?

What would make it one of the best fests of the year? It had only one big name, right? Why was it such a huge draw?

Here's the link to the page, if you'd like to check it out: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photos/17383/96350. I can't remember all of the festivals, but it included lots of things that did not exactly seem like blockbusters. I do think that Solid Sound was pretty widely heralded as an innovative and particularly cool idea for a festival--the concept, the setting, etc.--even if you weren't a Wilco superfan.

Guest kechefs

So let me get this straight in order to be the best fest you have to have alot of subpar acts and more than one big act.Weird I thought Solid Sound was the best festival i have been to in my life ( and I have been to quite a few ) I hope Sex Nap is just really bad at sarcasm in her writing

Signed

A Big Pat Sansone Fan (not sarcasm )

Guest Speed Racer

So let me get this straight in order to be the best fest you have to have alot of subpar acts and more than one big act.Weird I thought Solid Sound was the best festival i have been to in my life ( and I have been to quite a few ) I hope Sex Nap is just really bad at sarcasm in her writing

Signed

A Big Pat Sansone Fan (not sarcasm )

What I was saying is that it's a small niche festival. Nothing I heard about the fest really makes it stand out to me as any better than any other festival, except to Wilco fans who loved Wilco. I was asking, quite honestly, why it deserved to be on a Best of Fests list. "Huge draw" was my poor way of saying that.

As for the Pat Sansone remark, I like him just fine. I also like a lot of other musicians. I like pizza. I like running. That doesn't mean any of those things ought to be in Wilco. (love the parentheses, by the way)

Yes, I would expect that RS holds some standard of journalistic practice...

I would say that is your first mistake.

Guest Speed Racer

I haven't seen the print publication in years, but ever since they "upgraded" their website, it has really, really sucked. Very little care goes in to copyediting or double-checking (and maybe just checking?) urls. Even the link Wilco Me gave me to the Best of Fests didn't work. :lol

Speaking of their "upgraded" web thing, I used to enjoy the juvenile and sometimes blatantly violent/aggressive comment sections for posted stories...now, those sections don;t work half of the time. It's going to be hard to retain or obtain readership when your new media sucks arse.

As fascinating as the RS discussion is (and I do mean that), I'd like to add that I was surprised by Jeff's playlist. He went for some pretty mellow stuff in a MLB-sized stadium. He's been there before to throw out a first pitch, so I'd think he'd know that maybe some more upbeat tunes would play better. I thought he was great, but it seemed off for the venue.