Do you care about whats on the setlist when you go to concerts?

It's an interesting question and really depends on the band I suppose. I saw Floyd in 1994 (earl's court) and Genesis in 2007 and they were good shows. But I knew exactly what was coming and there was no chances of either band kicking in to a rendition of 'Dogs' or 'Giant Hogweed' respectively.

I like the recent trend of artists playing themed shows. My Morning Jacket are doing a series of shows performing each album in their entirety with associated b-sides etc. Similarly Marillion (yes Marillion!!) do events focusing of specific albums or playing just the 10 min plus tracks etc. (If you used to like Marillion check out their new material. You won't regret it. I promise!!).

I wonder how I would have felt seeing Neil Young in 1992 when he played a whole set of Harvest Moon material before the album came out. I would have enjoyed the show and respected the artist for that decision but I would probably have loved to hear more old stuff.

I also caught Jeff's show at the Union Chapel this year. It was a real buzz to have his wife and kids wandering through the crowd before the show taking requests. If felt far more interactive and personal. I was chuffed he played my request (california stars), even though he was probably going to do it anyway!!

as an acoustic neil fan, seeing the pre-harvest moon tour was great.

i'm sometimes jealous of bands like marillion who have this cult following and the band really cares for them with the conventions and stuff. very cool. phish used to be this way circa 1990-93. you could always chat with at least mike before and after the shows.

Overall, I have no expectation for the setlists. I do however want to hear certain songs that are my favorite and I would suspeect most people are that way to a certain degree. I think my expectations for a performer is increased when I am certain that they won't ever come back to my town ever again, I certainly want the "perfect" setlist. I know it's unreasonable but it's an honest answer. Bigger acts and most of the bands I like don't play around these parts and when they do I have to jump at the chance to see them because they may not be eback. Wilco played here in '96/'97 and haven't looked back...

for bands I have seen numerous times, I want to see some chances taken by the band.

Didn't Nebraska come out in 82??

Yeah...and he didn't tour behind it. Therefore the Nebraska songs played on the Born in the USA tour were new songs.

as an acoustic neil fan, seeing the pre-harvest moon tour was great.

i'm sometimes jealous of bands like marillion who have this cult following and the band really cares for them with the conventions and stuff. very cool. phish used to be this way circa 1990-93. you could always chat with at least mike before and after the shows.

What was the reception like for Neil's Harvest Moon shows? I'm sure I read at the time there was some hostility to the lack of older material and the breviety of the shows. Was that the case?

Marillion do have an amazing relationship with their fanbase. When they were struggling a few years ago they asked the fans to pre-order the album about two years in advance so that they could afford to make it!!!. There is also a famous case when Marillion couldn't afford to tour the US. A group of fans set up an internet account and collected about $20,000 and gave it to the band so they would come and play.

It's catch 22 I suppose because if they did become more popular they probably wouldn't be as focused on fan interaction. I'll always bang the drum for Marillion to help them get wider recognition though. Unfortunatley whenever I say Marillion people only think of 'Kayleigh' and 'Fish' and the bad elements of prog. They are a different band now with more similarities to Radiohead and Massive Attack than Genesis.

I wonder how I would have felt seeing Neil Young in 1992 when he played a whole set of Harvest Moon material before the album came out. I would have enjoyed the show and respected the artist for that decision but I would probably have loved to hear more old stuff.

I saw him do Greendale (without the stage show, since the stage turned out to be too small). I enjoyed the show and respected them for what they were doing. There was some animosity towards them from the "just play the hits" portion of the audience.

yes and no for me. i'd be happy to never hear wilco play Handshake, Shot or Man again. but there's always a surprise or two.

i know dylan fans that leave before the encore to get away from the traffic, cause the encore will be LARS and AATW, and recently Jolene.

when chris bailey and ed kuepper toured again this year (the equivalent of tweedy/farrar doing a joint solo tour), i didnt care what they played - it was more the fact that they can play together again. the same with Led zep in 2007 - i dont think anyone in the audience cared what they'd play, as long it was a good performance. plus, they got to hear Stairway for the first time since 1988.

roger waters came in 2002 (which i went to). he returned in 2007, with the EXACT same show, but $200 more expensive! (lucky i decided to skip that one!)

I anticipate the setlist. I hope to hear my favorite songs or a good rarity. After the show I give a lot of thought to the songs I heard.

But when all is said and done, I'm am happy to take what I was given. I don't think I've ever walked away from a show complaining about the songs I heard. Annoying audience members are the only disappointment I seem to encounter.

Now, I'm sure I don't see as many concerts as the rest of you. I've only seen Wilco twice. I've never seen any of the old guys who tend to skip their classics in favor of the new songs no one wants to hear. 2010 is going to be a record for me at about 7 shows, and one of those was attended because it was free.

I guess I'm not spoiled yet. :P

But you'd have to be excited to be able to say "Hey, I was at that Bob show where he didn't play LARS or AATW!"

I have seen Dylan where he played two shows in one night - one show had LARS, the other AATW. So in essence I saw a show when he didn't play one of them, but of course I got both in one night.

I only care if a band plays well; they can play what ever they want.

I have seen Dylan where he played two shows in one night - one show had LARS, the other AATW. So in essence I saw a show when he didn't play one of them, but of course I got both in one night.

I only care if a band plays well; they can play what ever they want.

was that Atlantic city in 99? (where the first show was 95% acoustic?)

do I care about the setlist?

yes, and I agree that the internet has spoiled many surprises that happen at shows-But I am truly sorry if a band has NEVER surprised you with a song or a new interpretation at its show, even if you knew 99% of the set. Pearl Jam does it often.

do I know which bands/artists mix up the set lists and those that play the same set every night?

yes

Do I hope for a past rarity instead of a new tune?

yes

Do I have a good time no matter what songs are played?

yes, I just love live music.

What was the reception like for Neil's Harvest Moon shows? I'm sure I read at the time there was some hostility to the lack of older material and the breviety of the shows. Was that the case?

Marillion do have an amazing relationship with their fanbase. When they were struggling a few years ago they asked the fans to pre-order the album about two years in advance so that they could afford to make it!!!. There is also a famous case when Marillion couldn't afford to tour the US. A group of fans set up an internet account and collected about $20,000 and gave it to the band so they would come and play.

It's catch 22 I suppose because if they did become more popular they probably wouldn't be as focused on fan interaction. I'll always bang the drum for Marillion to help them get wider recognition though. Unfortunatley whenever I say Marillion people only think of 'Kayleigh' and 'Fish' and the bad elements of prog. They are a different band now with more similarities to Radiohead and Massive Attack than Genesis.

i don't really know what the reaction was. he's been doing that shit for years. going out and playing tonights the night and nothing else. as i remember, there wasn't any backlash compared to the highly politicized living with war album and the most recent shows which lots of folks thought were to be acoustic only to find neil standing there blaring his electric solo. and 6 new songs to boot. when it comes to my favorite of favorites...wilco, son volt, neil, rush...i prefer hearing new songs and could definitely do with out the hits. i also prefer deep album tracks. neil did do that on the harvest moon tour busting out field of opportunity, speaking out, hitchhiker.

I anticipate the setlist. I hope to hear my favorite songs or a good rarity. After the show I give a lot of thought to the songs I heard.

But when all is said and done, I'm am happy to take what I was given. I don't think I've ever walked away from a show complaining about the songs I heard. Annoying audience members are the only disappointment I seem to encounter.

Now, I'm sure I don't see as many concerts as the rest of you. I've only seen Wilco twice. I've never seen any of the old guys who tend to skip their classics in favor of the new songs no one wants to hear. 2010 is going to be a record for me at about 7 shows, and one of those was attended because it was free.

I guess I'm not spoiled yet. :P

yes, concert going has a point of diminished returns. my wife and i recently went to tom petty. we got cheap tix. he came out and knocked out 8 hits in 45 mins. we got bored and left. fun, but didn't need to stay long. i'd say i see an amazing show once every two years. sometimes it's from a show that is just on a whim. saw neil young on his recent tour and it was a spiritual experience. before that, saw black mountain on a whim. BLEW my mind. saw wilco two shows in a row right after nels joined. first show amazing. second show meh. however, that had a lot to do with the fact my pregnant wife was with me and fell asleep:) god love her. personal feeling etc. have a lot to do with concert enjoyment...setlist is only a part of that.

good topic.

Looks like Jon Brookes, the drummer for the band referenced in the original post, has a brain tumor. May have been lucky to catch them when you did...

http://www.spinner.com/2010/09/22/charlatans-jon-brookes-brain-tumour/?icid=main%7Cnetscape%7Cdl2%7Csec3_lnk2%7C172170

Yeah a heard about it. I wish him well. It boggles my mind I see him perform 1 day before the incident and he looked to be in great spirirts. I got to talk to him after the show and he was a cool guy. I wish him the best and am still quite shocked! He was lucky there was a doctor in the crowd when the incident happened.