The Autumn Defense - Once Around

• 1 month later...

My order is in! Nice that the first 500 pre-orders get autographed copies! :cheers These are beautiful songs.

I got mine in the mail on Friday, signed by John and Pat. Nice. Not Wilco, but nice. I want to listen to it a few more times before seeing them in December.

I got mine in the mail on Friday, signed by John and Pat. Nice. Not Wilco, but nice. I want to listen to it a few more times before seeing them in December.

I haven't received mine yet so I purchased one from the iTunes store this morning. Going to see them in Toronto on the 9th. My first AD show!

I haven't received mine yet so I purchased one from the iTunes store this morning. Going to see them in Toronto on the 9th. My first AD show!

Have a wonderful time, Arlene. They're great! :cheers I wonder when they'll make it to the West Coast?

Listening to it today in the car -- so I don't know the titles yet, but really liked the 4th song. Seeing them next week in NYC.

"Huntington Fair"...yes, very pretty! Did you see them at SSF, Barb? They did this song there, and it was really lovely, live.

"Huntington Fair"...yes, very pretty! Did you see them at SSF, Barb? They did this song there, and it was really lovely, live.

Couldn't get in! I hesitated and was lost.

I wonder when they'll make it to the West Coast?

I hope it's soon, Donna, but for now I'm really happy to have had the chance to catch them @ the Drake Underground! Fantastic show, they opened with "Tell Me What You Want", an early favorite for me off their latest record. The small room (capacity 150) had a nice sound. Open floor with a few couches/benches along the sides. Highlights for me were "Full 5 Paces", "We Would Never Die", "Spend Your Life" and "The Sun in California" (I'm partial to John's songs!)

Pat invited us to sing along on the first song of their 2-song encore, Bob Welch's "Sentimental Lady" ("14 joys and a will to be merry/And all of the things that we say are very/Sentimental gentle wind...") C'mon, you know it. We all know it.

They guys manned the merch table before/after the show as did the openers, Sarah Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion, who were also great.

I had a chance to chat with Bob Egan before the show. He joked that it was his "big night out." We talked about stuff like baseball but mostly about the band he's been with for 11 years now, Blue Rodeo, who are sort of a Canadian institution. Real nice guy.

Highlights for me were "Full 5 Paces", "We Would Never Die", "Spend Your Life" and "The Sun in California" (I'm partial to John's songs!)

Awesome to hear that they did "Full 5 Paces!" I had been hoping they'd revisit some of the "oldies." I really think The Green Hour is a pretty underrated record, so perhaps they've got "Wellspring" or "Recuperating From The War" somewhere in their back pockets as well. :thumbup

And I haven't heard all of the new record yet -- I'm waiting for the vinyl, which I hear has been slighly delayed? -- but I do dig a few of the songs I've heard and look forward to hearing more...

Are they still closing with Big Star's "You Can't Have Me?" :cheers

And I haven't heard all of the new record yet -- I'm waiting for the vinyl, which I hear has been slighly delayed? -- but I do dig a few of the songs I've heard and look forward to hearing more...

I had ordered a CD and an LP... The cd came right after the release date, and the LP came just 2 days ago. Hope you get yours soon!

Awesome to hear that they did "Full 5 Paces!" I had been hoping they'd revisit some of the "oldies." I really think The Green Hour is a pretty underrated record, so perhaps they've got "Wellspring" or "Recuperating From The War" somewhere in their back pockets as well. :thumbup

Are they still closing with Big Star's "You Can't Have Me?" :cheers

Hi bbop...I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not familiar with very much of Big Star so I couldn't tell you if that was the last song of the set. Sorry. :blush

I couldn't find AD's Solid Sound setlist posted under "After the Show." You wouldn't happen to have it, would you?

Hi bbop...I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not familiar with very much of Big Star so I couldn't tell you if that was the last song of the set. Sorry. :blush

I couldn't find AD's Solid Sound setlist posted under "After the Show." You wouldn't happen to have it, would you?

I've got it Arlene...here you go:

The Autumn Defense

2010-08-15

Solid Sound Festival

North Adams, MA

01. Sun in California

02. Bluebirds

03. Written in the Snow

04. Every Day

05. Back of my Mind

06. Tell Me What You Want

07. Spend Your Life

08. Feel You Now

09. Huntington Fair

10. The Answer

11. Tuesday Morning

12. We Would Never Die

13. You Can't Have Me (Big Star)

I actually missed the AD's set at Solid Sound, so I'm glad that Kidsmoke was able to help you out. :thumbup

From other reports I've read about this tour, it seems like they're still closing it out with the Big Star song. Which is just fine with me. It's a good closer for them. :cheers

Hey Paul, and Arlene and all the rest of you Autumn Defense fans, have a look at this link:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=540150

It's Brennan's recording of the AD's set from the Solid Sound Festival, which he has just uploaded there. Brennan wishes Hunter Center (where they played) hadn't been such a "boomy" sounding venue, but I really like his recording. Arlene, you can listen here to "You Can't Have Me" and see if you recognize it as the last song you heard the other night. Great song! :thumbup

just got back from the atlanta show. so great. these guys are such professionals. loved every second of it. the stage was kind of small though, so pat couldn't do any windmills:( just love john and pat's songs. hope they tour again soon.

last night Bluebirds Fall was so great. don't want to spoil, but they're not doing the big star tune. they are doing sentimental lady by bob welch. cheesy and awesome!

btw-pat is a great lead player and john is so great at rhythm. i hope the new wilco album involves them in a writing/arranging role because they both are masters of their craft. not derivative at all yet totally in the tradition of great pop.

• 3 weeks later...

Following the Wilco e-mail link to their store I came across, Arabella.

Quick search showed no threads dedicated to it.

I figured an AD thread would be a good place to ask about a 6 yr old album instead of starting a new thread.

First off, I don't remember ever hearing about this being released.

What are everyone's thoughts on the album?

it's produced well and has some great songs. i think it was a one off project that john and laurie had been wanting to do for years. to my ears, laurie can't carry a tune. it's def a more country sounding record rather than the 'soft rock' stuff that autumn defense does.