Wilco -- 28/9/10, Prague, CZ, Stimul Festival

Ok here we go into blathering fandom. An amazing show by my estimation, although I await other comments. First, a setlist as best as I copied it during the show and please apologies for any mistakes:

On 9:15 p.m.

Wilco (the song)

Bull Black Nova

Radio Cure

I am Trying to Break Your Heart

One Wing

you are my face

Shot in the Arm

Muzzle of Bees

Poor Places

Spiders (mostly acoustic)

Impossible Germany

It's Just That Simple ( Stirratt on vocals)

I'll Fight

Via Chicago

For The Season

War on War

Too Far Apart

Jesus Etc.

Handshake Drugs

I'm the Man Who Loves You

On and On

You Never Know

-------

Heavy Metal Drummer

Hate it Here

Walken

Kingpin

KickingTelevision

Off 11:15 p.m.

We got got a "I knew we would love it here" after Jesus Etc in which Jeff opined, "best sing along of the tour." We also got a "I'm being quiet tonight because we are trying to play as much music as possible and I also get in trouble for talking."

An amazing set. That epic setlist is accurate with two tiny corrections:

For The Season should be Laminated Cat (same song, different title)

You Never Know was the first song of the encore.

Loved the venue. The sound was excellent at stage front where we were standing, and the band was clearly energized by a great crowd.

Kingpin: "Living in ... Prague." Followed by "I want to be your bigwig, Living in ... the Czech Republic."

Jeff thanked the roadies, saying "We want to be the world's best rock band. I don't know if we're there, but we do have the best road crew." And he noted that the roadies had put together the setlist.

Three very scary security guys in the area between the crowd and the stage made a big show of intimidating anyone who raised a camera. Roughly a third of the way through, the crowd had gotten the message.

Oh, and Jeff does a killer Bill O'Reilly impersonation. Before Heavy Metal Drummer, Glenn was apparently having troubles getting some of his sampled sounds to work, so Jeff said, very loudly, "Glenn's going to do it live. Do it live!" At which point he did it live.

If the "Do it live!" reference is unfamiliar, here's the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tJjNVVwRCY

Looks like a great show! Simple, Too Far Apart, Kingpin, KTV? :rock I wish I could have been there, too, but I guess reading essays is also a pretty nice consolation prize. Or, wait.... nope. It isn't.

I hope the wait for live Wilco in the States isn't too long!

I'd hoped we might get something special for the last date of the tour, but when the band didn't appear until 9.15, I feared my hopes would be dashed. Wilco, however, did not disappoint!! By my timing, Pivoboy (I could be wrong), they actually went off at 11.32. Incidentally, the first-ever Vienna show last week also had 27 songs, but there were 10 (TEN) changes to the setlist for this show.

There were an awful lot of Americans in attendance (mostly nice ones), which definitely helped with the overall atmosphere of familiarity with the material; but in my opinion, (biased I know, because I live here) a special mention should go to the Czech crowd, which was fantastic beyond expectation.

I felt a bit sorry for the security men, who were trying to do a thankless and impossible job in stopping people from taking pictures. The photography continued right up to the end of the show, but became more covert, which achieved something, I suppose.

The upshot of the almost comical, constant battle between the security and crowd members was the creation of a certain strange tension, which I felt heightened the atmosphere. It also removed the potential for far less desirable tension between the crowd and Jeff Tweedy.

It might be just me, or where I was stood (somehow I eventually ended up at the front), or the acoustics/small dimensions of The Archa, or maybe Stan just really cranked it up, but it's a long time since I remember sound with such a physical effect. I swear there were bass frequencies which kicked me in the ribs in a way which I can only compare to those Moog Taurus pedals Rush and Genesis used in the 70s (OK, I was there). The feedback at the end of Handshake was the most piercing I've heard and caused considerable suffering to the security guys!

The appearance of Radio Cure early on suggested the possibility of something extraordinary, Laminated Cat reinforced that feeling and when the intro to Too Far Apart started, it had officially become epic! Jesus, Kingpin and KT were just joyous.

As Pivoboy has previously pointed out, Tony Margherita took a bit of a punt on coming here. I'm really glad it was a successful show (maybe even financially?) and hope that it bodes well for future visits, perhaps even beyond the capital.

Badger all very well said - you are right in the off stage time - think I was confused by a clock outside Archa. I was a bit sorry they had aboout a two meter gap in front of the stage with all the security guys - I am not sure if that was standard practice at Archa and will have to look the next time I go there. I can understand that the issue of photos is distracting to the band but man, in today's world it is nearly impossible to prevent this anymore - I'm not condoning it, more just noting that the genie is out of the bottle and artists are probably going to have to deal with it. REM incorporates phones into the show, for example. In the show on Tuesday I thought the sound was fuzzy on Wilco (the song) and then suddenly came into clear focus on Bull Black, but perhaps my ears just got used to the hall. I talked to the promoter and they managed to get about 700 there in a place that holds officially 1100-1200 so well done boys. I didn't see any tapers anywhere and if anyone knows of one I'd love to hear a recording of any of the show.

Finally getting around to chime in here...

This show was so amazing from start to finish. Thanks Praha for good times. Too Far Apart and KT!!!! :dancing Thanks to the crew for requesting songs some of us really wanted to hear. :worship

Jeff has made the comment at a few shows "leave them wanting less"...this show left us wanting more, more, MORE!

It was a great show undoubtedly, and an set list full of surprises. Personally, I'm not too hot on KT, but Too Far Apart and Not For the Season, well that's another story :thumbup My only complaint is that I wish they hadn't all but ignored BT.

One other comment Jeff said which I don't think has been mentioned here was in regards to Too Far Apart. it went something like "That was from our first record. But don't go out and buy it or anything, we're much better now."

• 11 months later...

I think this was mentioned someplace in one of those epic recent threads in Just A Fan that I don't have the energy to go searching through right now, but I noticed that this Prague show from last fall is now streaming in the Roadcase on Wilcoworld. An awesome recording of an awesome show! The last full-band show of 2010 and the band's first-ever in Prague, I believe, featured great renditions of Too Far Apart and Kicking Television, among other songs. I was lucky enough to attend, and I can attest that the energy (both band and crowd) for this one was high. Definitely worth checking out, IMHO. :rock