A thread where you recommend NEW music to PopTodd

I have $30 at iTunes. Originally had $50, but I spent my first $20 on these 2 albums:

619CkqSMSTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51uwWAnXmCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I love them both, but as I said, I want something NEW. From a NEW artist, that has maybe only been releasing music since 2005 or so.

I feel like I am loosing touch with the really new stuff, so I want your suggestions... with descriptions, please. If you have seen my posts in the "Now Playing" threads, then you kinda know my tastes.

Thank you for your suggestions.

EDIT:

And I've seen a couple of you raving about this Zeus album. Tell me more, please.

600x600.jpg

I came across this a few months ago. It has been in heavy rotation since. The album was released in in 2006, but sounds like something recorded in Muscle Shoals circa 1972. I'm not sure our music tastes and interests always match up, but I do think you will like this. He isn't reinventing the wheel, but the boy can sing and the band is on fire. Here's the review from iTunes:

Oakland's Mike Therieau sings rock 'n' roll steeped in the timeless, twangy tones of bygone country soul records. (Some listeners called his local radio station to ask if the tracks they were playing from his debut, Living From a Suitcase, were from the ‘70s.) His album was actually recorded in 2006, but with Therieau's soulful rasp conjuring the spirit of the late Steve Marriot — and his band sounding like that of vintage Terry Reid and Exile On Main St. era Stones — it's easy to believe that his tunes came from an earlier time. ""Wear You Off My Mind"" kicks off a stellar duet with San Francisco siren Paula Frazer, and the two together resonate like a lost recording from Delaney & Bonnie. The subtly swampy ""I'm Sorry"" features Greg Moore from Moore Brothers on backing vocals bringing to mind a mellower Tony Joe White. But the real show stopper here is the Muscle Shoals-marinated ""Midnight Apt. #9 Blues"" with the Counting Crows' Dave Immergluck and Beachwood Sparks' Josh Schwartz on dueling guitars. Telecaster master Dave Gleason lends his B-bending prowess on the title track, recalling Clarence White period Byrds. Therieau is a musician's musician.

a band formed since 2005? hmmm...i don't think i have that many that would qualify for that time zero start.

how about the neo-psych/kraut drive of Wooden Shjips?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J51nLudoM6A

Beach House (crap vid but good song/band):

(apparently i can only put in a single youtube link? seach for 'master of none')

Kurt Vile:

search youtube for 'blackberry song'

Black Pyramid would, but i'm guessing you wouldn't dig their particular brand of metal. i do though; see for yrself

search youtube for 'visions of gehenna' and 'black pyramid'

this should be a decent start. let me know what clicks.

I missed that whole "releasing music since 2005" thing. So I guess the Posies don't qualify (you should still get that record).

So instead, I offer the following. The first one came out this week, the second came out last year.

The 88 (self-titled)

31Z8UGaHYIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ha Ha Tonka - Novel Sounds of the Nouveau South

51HlHjcoanL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

...and if you don't have it already:

Title Tracks - It Was Easy

413ARzjs6fL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - Great band and singer that have their feet firmly planted in the old Soul and Funk.

the only thing i've heard is the split they did w/ Thee Oh Sees and it soudned pretty Crampish.

Interesting. I haven't heard that release. I never got into the Cramps, but I guess I can detect a very slight resemblance in the vocal style.

I checked out the review and samples of this one over at AllMusic, and think that it sounds pretty cool:

I think that it will be one that I pick up today.

I checked out the review and samples of this one over at AllMusic, and think that it sounds pretty cool:

I think that it will be one that I pick up today.

I dunno...I am a huge Bloodshot fan, but I have even seen these guys live and they just don't do it for me.

LouieB

Young energetic guy playing upbeart rock songs with catchy hooks and guitar solos.

You forgot about the enormous amounts of distortion over the entire mix... Incredibly raw, dirty album. Nearly every track kicks you in the face with a steel toed boot.. And I'm diggin it. :rock

600x600.jpg

I came across this a few months ago. It has been in heavy rotation since. The album was released in in 2006, but sounds like something recorded in Muscle Shoals circa 1972. I'm not sure our music tastes and interests always match up, but I do think you will like this. He isn't reinventing the wheel, but the boy can sing and the band is on fire. Here's the review from iTunes:

Oakland's Mike Therieau sings rock 'n' roll steeped in the timeless, twangy tones of bygone country soul records. (Some listeners called his local radio station to ask if the tracks they were playing from his debut, Living From a Suitcase, were from the ‘70s.) His album was actually recorded in 2006, but with Therieau's soulful rasp conjuring the spirit of the late Steve Marriot — and his band sounding like that of vintage Terry Reid and Exile On Main St. era Stones — it's easy to believe that his tunes came from an earlier time. ""Wear You Off My Mind"" kicks off a stellar duet with San Francisco siren Paula Frazer, and the two together resonate like a lost recording from Delaney & Bonnie. The subtly swampy ""I'm Sorry"" features Greg Moore from Moore Brothers on backing vocals bringing to mind a mellower Tony Joe White. But the real show stopper here is the Muscle Shoals-marinated ""Midnight Apt. #9 Blues"" with the Counting Crows' Dave Immergluck and Beachwood Sparks' Josh Schwartz on dueling guitars. Telecaster master Dave Gleason lends his B-bending prowess on the title track, recalling Clarence White period Byrds. Therieau is a musician's musician.

just checked out some of his stuff online. holy shit is this good. right up my alley.

I dunno...I am a huge Bloodshot fan, but I have even seen these guys live and they just don't do it for me.

I saw them live too (before they released that latest album) and they were terrific. They opened for Meat Puppets.

The Ty Segall cover totally scared the shit outta me. :uhoh

The music might scare you as well.. I listened to it in my car yesterday, and my facial expressions went about like this:

:o...............:nailbite................:brow.............:rock.............:worship

I listened to it in my car yesterday, and my facial expressions went about like this:

:o...............:nailbite................:brow.............:rock.............:worship

That last one's kind of dangerous in the car. 10 and 2, mister! :nono

The music might scare you as well.. I listened to it in my car yesterday, and my facial expressions went about like this:

The more I hear about this, the more I think that I want to hear it.

I'm gonna check it out and let you know... thanks.