http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QBI0YOTdIA

I posted this before somewhere, but there has been talk of a separate thread for this, and besides, I thought it was time for someone else besides Pop Todd to take flack for self-promotion.

All of you in bands, don't leave me hanging here...

Incidentally, we too have a november gig, but I would be truly shocked to see any of you there, so I'll just post this other link instead: Los Gasolineros

You have posted this before, and I liked it then, too. I love that guitar hook.

There are a couple of (poor) videos of my playing solo/acoustic up at YouTube.

But, if you want a good (professional) quality video of me playing with the original lineup of the band... drop me a PM.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I laid out a (very) simple YouTube because, well, I needed to.

Just a single slide, but I added Pop-Up Video style notations to add a little bit of interest.

"Here" it is. (Ugh, Sorry for the pun.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YybkAVcvj_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSu0_bMiRWY

It's not really a band since it's just me, and we don't play live shows, only Youtube shows, and we're not very good...but that's my latest music video.

cool, i like what you're doing with, um, limited resources. Is that a kazoo?

I was about to ask where in Africa you are, but then I saw your link in your signature, so I'll be reading your blog to find out more. :thumbup

cool, i like what you're doing with, um, limited resources. Is that a kazoo?

I was about to ask where in Africa you are, but then I saw your link in your signature, so I'll be reading your blog to find out more. :thumbup

Yeah, I dont have many instruments out here, but a toy kazoo is one of them. I'm hoping to get some traditional drums and a xylophone-ish instrument they use out here too. (Here is Burkina Faso, for the record)

Yeah, I dont have many instruments out here, but a toy kazoo is one of them. I'm hoping to get some traditional drums and a xylophone-ish instrument they use out here too. (Here is Burkina Faso, for the record)

Now i want to ply you with questions about Burkina Faso. For example, where in Burkina Faso are you? Also, there's a lot of West African music I like, mostly from Mali and Senegal. That's in your neighborhood, so that leads me to wonder whether there's any good local music there.

Now i want to ply you with questions about Burkina Faso. For example, where in Burkina Faso are you? Also, there's a lot of West African music I like, mostly from Mali and Senegal. That's in your neighborhood, so that leads me to wonder whether there's any good local music there.

I'm in a small town on the east side of Burkina - kind of near niger/benin/togo - not by mali at all. I've got to 3 or 4 musical events since I got here and the local music is pretty awesome, especially the drumming/rhythm instruments. Just in general, it seems like everyone has really good rhythm. When I play guitar even the littlest kids can dance with the beat. At any rate, I'd like to get much deeper into the traditional/local music while I'm here, but I need to work on my french first.

I'm in a small town on the east side of Burkina - kind of near niger/benin/togo - not by mali at all. I've got to 3 or 4 musical events since I got here and the local music is pretty awesome, especially the drumming/rhythm instruments. Just in general, it seems like everyone has really good rhythm. When I play guitar even the littlest kids can dance with the beat. At any rate, I'd like to get much deeper into the traditional/local music while I'm here, but I need to work on my french first.

Cool- be sure to share your discoveries! What's the native local language? Are you out of range of the griot/kora tradition?

Cool- be sure to share your discoveries! What's the native local language? Are you out of range of the griot/kora tradition?

The language out here is Gourmantché, but almost all of the teachers/government workers come from the central part of the country, so their native language is Mooré. However, the students are not allowed to speak anything but French, so thats what I'm focusing on at the moment. I'm not familiar with griot/dori tradition, so I'm going to say no on that one.

I've got to head to school now and pass back some math tests. Adios!

• 8 months later...

This was back in May:

And, the offer still stands that, if any of you want to see the video of me and my (full, now defunct lineup) band playing on the Morning News here in Chicago, send me a PM. (I can't post it online due to copyright stuff.)

Some great stuff on here, folks. There are a lot of talented VCers!

These are all from a few years ago, but:

At 2:29 you can hear me completely miss the cue! Awesomeness.

The thing is, you can pinpoint the exact moment where I totally forget what the next chord is. I'll just play the same thing again.

I don't think I screw up in any obvious way, but I look like I'm just waiting for the song to end so I can drink a bottle of anti-freeze.