Kalle Mattson - Anchors

Hey guys, hope you don't mind my SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION, but I figure I've paid my dues 'round here.

My band Kalle Mattson (http://www.kallemattson.com, http://www.myspace.com/kallemattson) finished our new album "Anchors" a little while ago. It was mixed by Howie Beck, who's a Juno-nominated singer-songwriter by himself but he's also worked on albums by Jason Collett, Hayden, Matthew Barber, Josh Rouse, Feist etc. and the record was mastered at the legendary Bernie Grundman Studios in Los Angeles, and they've worked on albums by the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, Beck, The Band, Van Morrisson etc. etc.

It's going to be "out" March 22nd, 2011. But for now, you can download our first "single" entitled "Thick As Thieves".

Here's the catch: you have to pay for it by making a Facebook post or a Tweet about it. It's really easy, you click the link, click the "pay with a Tweet/Facebook post" button, and then the rest is self explanatory.

Thank you in advance to anyone who does this, and let me know what you think!

anchorss-spineless2222.jpg

Great idea for payment, Kalle!

I am downloading now and will let you know what I think, as soon as I give it a listen!

EDIT:

Listening to it now and I am REALLY digging it! There is a very 90's sound to it, but I mean that as a compliment. Has your singer been in other bands? Maybe around the Chicago area? No? Where? What band?

The vocals sound very familiar, as does the songwriting style. But... like a band that I have known (and liked) for a long time. Really good stuff.

And, again, great idea for getting the music out there.

Listening to it now and I am REALLY digging it! There is a very 90's sound to it, but I mean that as a compliment.

Me, too! Sounds really good, Kalle. (You sound a bit like John Samson of the Weakerthans, and I mean that as a compliment, too!)

Thanks for the download.

Thanks for the kind words!

There has been really no other bands to use the Pay With A Tweet model yet, a lot of authors and businesses, so we sort of feel like we're on the cutting edge of it.

But, so far in the past four days it has been crazy for us, we actually broke the Pay With A Tweet site because of too many downloads lol, and we've gotten a bunch of press regarding it, and our website hits have been through the roof.

It's essentially a pyramid scheme, but I think it gives the most reward for both parties involved, bands get probably the best promotion possible (it's basically word of mouth) and people get an MP3 they can keep not just stream.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It'll come out on vinyl eventually, just not right away sadly.

No problem for asking! The album was originally planned to be done with Gavin but sadly it didn't end up working out schedule-wise. We recorded this record in the fall of last year and around this time the Wooden Sky got picked up by a British label and did a big tour through Europe and another Cross Canada tour so it just wasn't going to happen. But working with Howie was an absolute dream, he is truly one of the most underrated Canadian musicians/producers/mixers right now, so talented. We'll work with Gavin at some point in time, and we've still played with TWS since then so I'm sure it'll happen.

Part 3 of our Pay With A Tweet happens on Sunday so I'll shoot everyone a link! Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Today is Anchors release day! It's pretty exciting as you can imagine, and we're celebrating in the best way possible by seeing Tweedy in Toronto, should be a goodie.

You can stream or buy a digital or physical copy of Anchors at http://kallemattson.bandcamp.com

The reviews that have been coming in are just fantastic, Quick Before It Melts has put up a great one today http://www.quickbeforeitmelts.com/2011/03/starting-to-grow/.

Woo!

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone check out our new music video for Thick As Thieves! It's essentially a stop-motion history of the world done by our good friend Kevin Parry (who's moving to San Fransisco to work for Pixar in a few weeks!). Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Thought I would point out that the video for "Water Falls," by our very own Kalle Mattson, has been receiving the Interwebs viral treatment. For instance, "Water Falls" was mentioned at the popular blog The Dish.

The city of San Francisco receives a love letter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zinPNDFzj_A&feature=player_embedded

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...