Thought there was a thread for these guys already, but apparently not. Great band out of southern CA that's starting to get a lot of attention.

They were on Jimmy Kimmel last night - played White Table and Bushwick Blues off of their latest.

http://halfwayhousem...my-kimmel-live/

Sounded great; too bad we didn't get all of Bushwick.

Thought there was a thread for these guys already, but apparently not. Great band out of southern CA that's starting to get a lot of attention.

They were on Jimmy Kimmel last night - played White Table and Bushwick Blues off of their latest.

http://halfwayhousem...my-kimmel-live/

Sounded great; too bad we didn't get all of Bushwick.

Really looking forward to MIDDLE BROTHER's release (John J. McCauley III of Deer Tick, Taylor Goldsmith of Dawes, and Matt Vasquez of Delta Spirit).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nEEoOstfpA

I am almost certain there's at least 1 thread on here, if not several. Yes, they are a great band. Screamin Matt Vazquez! History From Below probably gets my nod as most underrated album of last year. Most people usually get hooked by Bushwick and White Table, but the staying power of the album rests in songs like Ransom Man and St Francis. I think they recorded the album ina studio Tom Waits has used, and there's a pretty great Waits ripoff - Vivian on the album. The Ballad of Vitaly is based on true events, and is a gut punch when you first listen to the lyrics. It's a really ambitious song that works well enough, but I almost never listen to it anymore.

There's not much filler on the album, though Vazquez has turned down the screaming. I have seen at least one of their fans question whether he can keep those vocals up for more than a couple more albums and tours, and he probably has a point, so catch them live while you can, and before they potentially blow up and you can't get a good ticket anymore.

BTW, check out the original version of Bushwick Blues - it's slow. Though the album cut is radio produced, I much prefer it. And White Table sounds like Delta Spirit doing White Rabbits with the double percussion.

Don't get me wrong with the criticism. I'm forgving. I love these guys. I was a little late to Ode to Sunshine, but I've been on board ever since.

Really looking forward to MIDDLE BROTHER's release (John J. McCauley III of Deer Tick, Taylor Goldsmith of Dawes, and Matt Vasquez of Delta Spirit).

My first glimpse of Middle Brother, thanks for that! I can't wait for that one.

This is a timely thread for me. I had seen their performance on Carson Daly a few weeks ago, but didn't pull the trigger. Saw the Kimmel performance and went back for a closer look. Ordered the first album yesterday and will pick up the second one next time I'm out and about. I wish they hadn't just completed the tour. Is it just me, or does the scratch in his voice remind anyone else of Lennon at times on the studio material?

You're in for a treat. On Ode, a lot of people loved Streetwalker & Trashcan and People C'Mon, but don't overlook Children... great song.

And I have to stop watching so much NFL. Apologies to Matt for confusing him with the Jets QB. :cheers

• 2 months later...

http://gc.guitarcenter.com/sessions/

An intimate concert and interview with indie-rock band, Delta Spirit. Performances include "Bushwick Blues", "White Table", "Ransom Man" and "Scarecrow". With host, Nic Harcourt.

Premieres April 9th if you have DirecTV. This has quickly become one of my favorite bands and a must-see on the next tour. They have also helped me to give Dawes another chance, and I'm glad I did!!

http://gc.guitarcenter.com/sessions/

An intimate concert and interview with indie-rock band, Delta Spirit. Performances include "Bushwick Blues", "White Table", "Ransom Man" and "Scarecrow". With host, Nic Harcourt.

Premieres April 9th if you have DirecTV. This has quickly become one of my favorite bands and a must-see on the next tour. They have also helped me to give Dawes another chance, and I'm glad I did!!

awesome... these guys are definitely one of my favorites right now along w/Deer Tick. Loving the Middle Brother album.

Got to chat with Vasquez briefly during a break in the NYC Middle Brother show and I can't remember meeting a nicer, more humble guy in my life.

Have very quickly become a huge fan of all things MG&V. The 3 of them are all so talented yet make it look so easy. Very psyched to see them all at Newport Folk this summer. Deer Tick's not on the bill but they have to make an appearance, right? Johnny Mac's the pride of Rhode Island!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just got the new one (Into the wide).  So far I'm not loving the production.  A little more polish and gloss than previous stuff but I guess that has been the path so far from album to album.

thinking of going to their show next week - it's "an evening with" set. never seen them before... good live band?

I saw them a few years ago and thought it was a great show.  Not sure on the new album yet though and i'm sure it will be heavy on that.  They are coming here in October so I will probably see them.