Game of Thrones

The Sopranos thread reminded me that HBO has a new series coming out in April called Game of Thrones based on the George R. R. Martin Song of Ice and Fire series. If you have not read these, I can't recommend them highly enough. Not your standard fantasy shlock at all. Complex characters, complex plot, well written, great stuff. Judging by the trailer, it appears they are doing this one right. Any fans?

Game of Thrones preview

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sopranos thread reminded me that HBO has a new series coming out in April called Game of Thrones based on the George R. R. Martin Song of Ice and Fire series. If you have not read these, I can't recommend them highly enough. Not your standard fantasy shlock at all. Complex characters, complex plot, well written, great stuff. Judging by the trailer, it appears they are doing this one right. Any fans?

Game of Thrones preview

I think this looks pretty good. The G.R.R. Martin books are certainly not the run of the mill sword sorcery Tolkein ripoff that is rife in the genre.

And anything with Sean Bean is a winner in my book.

Even Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief?

(Also, I thought Patriot Games was pretty weak.)

Think how bad they would have been WITHOUT Sean Bean.

Thankfully I will busy with school and work when this shows up in our Netflix queue. :lol I don't care for the genre, but the lady loves it.

C'mon, give it a chance! Seriously, I can guarantee there will be no Hobbits frolicking on a bed or anything.

Guest Speed Racer

Oh I do give her television a chance, and I've had good results with a lot of the shows. Crow's "sword sorcery" description, even if to say it wasn't a run-of-the-mill version of that, leads me to believe I'll be able to fit in some studying after I give it a chance.

I have to echo what's already been said. I was admittedly a pretty devoted fantasy reader until grad school. I burnt out on all the derivative stuff, and writers like Jordan taking forever to get to the point... (although that is quickly becoming an issue for Martin as well).

However, Martin's books have very little of the typical fantasy elements - magic, dragons, elves and all that. There is some, don't get me wrong, but the central focus of the series isnt on a magic ring, or legendary sword, etc. These books are really what the name suggests - a complex game of politics and deceipt, betrayal, war, etc. Characterization is much much deeper than you'll see elsewhere, and the stereotypical good vs bad does not exist. You may find yourself eventually liking a character that you once despised. Adult themes are not sugar coated. Sex, lust, depraved acts, incest, mad grabs for power.. it's all there.

And very minor spoiler here - unlike just about every other work of fiction, no character is safe. You'll realize quickly on that you really don't know if your favorite characters are going to make it past the next chapter. Defying convention, a good number of them don't. Tends to keep you on the edge of your seat.

Oh I do give her television a chance, and I've had good results with a lot of the shows. Crow's "sword sorcery" description, even if to say it wasn't a run-of-the-mill version of that, leads me to believe I'll be able to fit in some studying after I give it a chance.

I believe I said not the typical sword and sorcery tale. That may not be a strong enough refutation of its actual relationhip to typical Tolkein influenced crap that passes for fantasy literature.

Another good, new author in the genre is Joel Abercrombie. His FIRST LAW Series is cynical, dark, intelligent, lusty and more than a bit cruel at times. This would make a good HBO series also.

Another good, new author in the genre is Joel Abercrombie. His FIRST LAW Series is cynical, dark, intelligent, lusty and more than a bit cruel at times. This would make a good HBO series also.

Thanks Crow, I'm going to check those out. I'm always on the look out for good fantasy books (just added to my amazon wishlist). Too many fantasy books are the "naive pig farmer grows up to be the one true wielder of the (insert ring, sword, talisman, whatever here) and proceeds to defeat the dark lord".

The Game of Thrones books are more like reading about ancient Rome or something. Certainly fantasy elements but much more about political intrigue and what people will do to obtain power.

Thanks Crow, I'm going to check those out. I'm always on the look out for good fantasy books (just added to my amazon wishlist). Too many fantasy books are the "naive pig farmer grows up to be the one true wielder of the (insert ring, sword, talisman, whatever here) and proceeds to defeat the dark lord".

The Game of Thrones books are more like reading about ancient Rome or something. Certainly fantasy elements but much more about political intrigue and what people will do to obtain power.

Joe Abercrombie has become my new obsession. His stuff is certainly worth checking out if you like GRR Martin's stuff.

The Blade Itself

“The blade itself incites to deeds of violence.” Homer

Logen Ninefingers, infamous barbarian, has finally run out of luck. Caught up in one feud too many, he’s on the verge of becoming a dead barbarian, leaving nothing behind but some bad songs, a few dead friends, and a lot of happy enemies.

Nobleman, dashing officer, and paragon of selfishness, Captain Jezal dan Luthar has nothing more dangerous in mind than fleecing his friends as cards and dreaming of glory in the fencing circle. But war is brewing, and on the battlefields of the frozen North they fight by altogether bloodier rules.

Inquisitor Glokta, cripple turned torturer, would like nothing better than to see Jezal come home in a jar. But then Glokta hates everyone: cutting treason out of the Union one confession at a time leaves little room for friendships. His latest trail of corpses may lead him right to the rotten heart of government… if he can stay alive long enough to follow it.

Murderous conspiracies rise to the surface, old scores are ready to be settled, and the line between hero and villain is sharp enough to draw blood. Unpredictable, compelling, wickedly funny, and packed with unforgettable characters, The Blade Itself is fantasy with a real cutting edge

Before They Are Hanged

“We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged.” Heinrich Heine

Superior Glokta has a problem. How do you defend a city surrounded by enemies and riddled with traitors, when your allies can by no means be trusted, and your predecessor vanished without a trace? It’s enough to make a torturer want to run – if he could even walk without a stick.

Northmen have spilled over the border of Angland and are spreading fire and death across the frozen country. Crown Prince Ladisla is poised to drive them back and win undying glory. There is only one problem – he commands the worst-armed, worst-trained, worst-led army in the world.

And Bayaz, the First of the Magi, is leading a party of bold adventurers on a perilous mission through the ruins of the past. The most hated woman in the South, the most feared man in the North, and the most selfish boy in the Union make a strange alliance, but a deadly one. They might even stand a chance of saving mankind from the Eaters. If they didn’t hate each other quite so much.

Ancient secrets will be uncovered. Bloody battles will be won and lost. Bitter enemies will be forgiven – but not before they are hanged.

Last Argument of Kings

“Last Argument of Kings.” Inscribed on his cannons by Louis XIV

The end is coming.

Logen Ninefingers might only have one more fight in him – but it’s going to be a big one. Battle rages across the North, the King of the Northmen still stands firm, and there’s only one man who can stop him. His oldest friend, and his oldest enemy: it’s time for the Bloody-Nine to come home.

With too many masters and too little time, Superior Glokta is fighting a different kind of war. A secret struggle in which no-one is safe, and no-one can be trusted. As his days with a sword are far behind him, it’s fortunate that he’s deadly with his remaining weapons: blackmail, threats, and torture.

Jezal dan Luthar has decided that winning glory is too painful an undertaking, and turned his back on soldering for a simple life with the woman he loves. But love can be painful too – and glory has a nasty habit of creeping up on a man when he least expects it.

The King of the Union lies on his deathbed, the peasants revolt, and the nobles scramble to steal his crown. No-one believes that the shadow of war is about to fall across the heart of the Union. Only the First of the Magi can save the world – but there are risks. There is no risk more terrible, than to break the First Law…

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to watch this. What I would REALLY like to see is a miniseries based on Michael Moorcock's Elric saga. THAT would fucking rule.

• 1 month later...

I've never read a fantasy book in my life, and I really disliked all three Lord of the Rings movies.

I thought this was great. I had no trouble figuring out who everyone was (although the episode did take great pains to make sure everything was clear), and it has already put in place some very intriguing story lines. The opening scene was very eerie and the final scene was certainly unexpected and really set the tone.

I'm excited for the rest of the season, which most critics seem to be saying only gets better.

I liked it very much - I could spot pretty much every epic fantasy trope there is, but it didn't strike me as being facile or unsophisticated.

anyone else have a problem with the role of women in the show? they merely sat on the side line and were nothing to the show except for something to look at or rape. I hope the characters become more important to the story later on.

anyone else have a problem with the role of women in the show? they merely sat on the side line and were nothing to the show except for something to look at or rape. I hope the characters become more important to the story later on.

I think it's a little early to make that claim. You can't expect 10 Joan of Arcs in a single one-hour episode.

I did note that there only seems to be one sex position in Westerlo, but hey, it's early yet!

There are certainly some very strong female characters in the books so that should change.

Have not seen the episode yet but should be getting a copy to watch this weekend.

There are some very strong female characters, so yes that will change. I'd be giving away some major plot points if I said any more.

I'm enjoying the freshening of the material since it's been so long since I read the books. Surprised at the number of plot points I had forgotten.

I had read online reviews from prescreenings of the entire series, that the 2nd episode was the worst of the season, and I can see why. The direction was very amateurish - it too methodically worked through the chain of events without letting the characters breathe or build tension. The best scene was probably the accusation scene at the end, and that was more of a credit to the material and Sean Bean than the lackluster direction. It was a chance to build the younger characters, but instead it felt more like "this has to happen now, so lets film it and move on"...

That said, the other director took over for the next 3 episodes, and they're supposed to be one of the strongest runs of the season. Am very much looking forward to the next 3 weeks.

And let me just say this now - kudos to HBO for taking this on. This is hard to film and do well, and whatever faults the series has, I'm happy that they attempted to do it right. Never thought I'd ever see anything like this on cable TV unless it was a hacked up, sterilized weekend showing of a former blockbuster movie. If they iron out the wrinkles and really dedicate to the production, next season's (yes it's been picked up already) A Clash of Kings material is gonna be crazy. Can't wait.

• 3 weeks later...

Man, I caught up through episode 4, didn't get to see the last episode yet. I'm really happy with how they are doing this show. Great casting job, great look to the show, it's exceeding my high expectations already. I did notice that the 3 of us that were watching that had read the books seem to be liking it more than the 1 person who never read the books (although he does like it). It's hard for me to judge how hard it is to follow without having read the books. There are so many families/alliances to keep track.

I love that "the mountain that rides" just made an appearance!

I heard they already picked this up for another season! :dancing

Man, I caught up through episode 4, didn't get to see the last episode yet. I'm really happy with how they are doing this show. Great casting job, great look to the show, it's exceeding my high expectations already. I did notice that the 3 of us that were watching that had read the books seem to be liking it more than the 1 person who never read the books (although he does like it). It's hard for me to judge how hard it is to follow without having read the books. There are so many families/alliances to keep track.

I love that "the mountain that rides" just made an appearance!

I heard they already picked this up for another season! :dancing

They picked it up after the first episode, I think. As someone who has not read the books, I'm enjoying it immensely. There have been times I was a little confused about who some secondary characters were, but I've been able to figure it out.