Game of Thrones

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pace finally picked up in this week's episode. It's going to be a roller coaster ride from here til episode 10.

I was wondering about that, is it going to be 10 total episodes?

As someone completely unfamiliar with the books I like it for the most part but am a little confused. I am having a hard time picturing the societal structure i guess. who's who, and why certain groups are enemies. Also, the vocal recording seems to be low to me or something, because it's always hard for me to hear the dialog, which doesn't make understanding everything any easier. But overall I am liking the series.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Crow, I'm going to check those out. I'm always on the look out for good fantasy books (just added to my amazon wishlist). Too many fantasy books are the "naive pig farmer grows up to be the one true wielder of the (insert ring, sword, talisman, whatever here) and proceeds to defeat the dark lord".

i was gonna suggest the Stephen R Donaldson series until i saw your 'wielder of ring' comment :D

i just started watching Game Of Thrones this Saturday, and have made it through four episodes so far. I dig it. I'd get caught up tonight but i'm going to the Sox game tonight, and then will watch the B's tmrw.

i was gonna suggest the Stephen R Donaldson series until i saw your 'wielder of ring' comment :D

i just started watching Game Of Thrones this Saturday, and have made it through four episodes so far. I dig it. I'd get caught up tonight but i'm going to the Sox game tonight, and then will watch the B's tmrw.

I read the White Gold Wielder series, mainly out of a sense of obligation because I had bought all six. It didn't resonate much with me. The back story of how Donaldson possibly came to get his inspiration of the hero with leprosy was kinda cool (Lss: Donaldson was a conscientious objector during the Viet Nam War and did public service in a Leprosy ward).

Don't get me wrong, even though many are formulaic, I still end up liking them. I just wanted to make the point that these are not your standard fantasy books and could be enjoyed by people that don't really like the genre. There was a review of the show somewhere (hell, maybe in this thread) that stated it was more "godfather" than "Lord of the rings" (or something like that).

I never did get into the Stephen Donaldson when I tried reading them but that was like 30 years ago so maybe I should give them a shot.

I am now all caught up with the series and I am loving the job they are doing. Even though I know what's coming up, it's still edge of my seat tense.

As someone completely unfamiliar with the books I like it for the most part but am a little confused. I am having a hard time picturing the societal structure i guess. who's who, and why certain groups are enemies. Also, the vocal recording seems to be low to me or something, because it's always hard for me to hear the dialog, which doesn't make understanding everything any easier. But overall I am liking the series.

Greg,

I am also unfamiliar with the books but am enjoying the series. Also, like you, I had trouble with the societal structure. I found this viewer's guide on the website. It has a map and interactive family trees. After spending some time reading all of it, I am no longer confused.

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/index.html#/game-of-thrones/inside/extras/extras/viewers-guide.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They get better and better as you go along. I have the newest one that just came out but have not jumped into it yet as I want to make sure I can savor every word. Plus I need to try to remember what the hell happened in the previous books since it's been so long.

Well, HBO's Game Of Thrones is not at all what I expected. I thought it was HBO's 1st reality series featuring 24 College Students living in a shanty shack eating consecutive dinners of McDonald's, Denny's & cafeteria food with one toilet to rule them all.

• 10 months later...