Grammy Awards thoughts

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I'm researching these two bands backing up Dylan and learned The Avett Brothers origins started in the town I currently live in. (Scott attended East Carolina University in Greenville NC, his brother had another band in Charlotte, where they're from.) I had no clue that a local band named 'Nemo' would end up one day sharing a stage with Bob Dylan on national television. The local bands here are for the most part cover bands and copycats. Shit music mostly; definitely a pop/pop country/hip hop/"Wilco is just a gas station" town. I doubt they would have made it if they had stuck around these parts. I read about Nemo when they were here, but I dismissed them because they were local and, let's face it: Who wants to check out a band named Nemo? (They didn't take off until the brothers merged their two bands when Scott went back to Charlotte.) I've heard a little of what they do, but it doesn't overwhelm me. I know nobody here gives a shit about this, but I always find it odd when I learn about the "notables" who used to roam around this two-horse town: Sandra Bullock; Emily Proctor; Vince and Linda McMahon; and a few others. Greenville is a college town, but I know it's not an academic town.

I've heard a little of what they do, but it doesn't overwhelm me.

see them live and try not to be overwhelmed. my buddy handed me emotionalism when it came out and it just sat in my car and collected dust (what is this? bluegrass?). then he conned me into going to see them at a small venue in town, and i was hooked. i've seen them ten times since and have tickets to several shows this year. great writing and passion for performance are what do it for me.

see them live and try not to be overwhelmed. my buddy handed me emotionalism when it came out and it just sat in my car and collected dust (what is this? bluegrass?). then he conned me into going to see them at a small venue in town, and i was hooked. i've seen them ten times since and have tickets to several shows this year. great writing and passion for performance are what do it for me.

I feel you on that, but if I had seen the performance in the below video from where they came back to town to play in one of those free "music in the streets" type downtown festivals about five or so years ago, I would have kept on walking and went a block away to my favorite pizza joint, where Scott probably used to play. I know it's just one song and it's an outdoor concert where most of the people milling around have no clue who these dudes are, but I just can't get into this type of song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IZe7apZ5j0