Grammy Awards thoughts

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Esperanza Spaulding win was wonderful. Not only is she deserving, she probably won because of a vote split. Justin Beiber, sure, big star. But Esperanza is a great talent who has a long future in all sorts of music. When she is still making great music, Beiber will be a pop music footnote.

Cee-lo was the best performance of the night and has one of the best songs of the year. Meanwhile, I actually like the Lady Antebellum single although they should have thought of some new stuff to say each time they won.

Bob Dylan was Bob Dylan and Mick was surprisingly good.

LouieB

These awards have become so disconnected from reality that they should just shut them down.

Yeah, I'm going to avoid the anti-Grammy rant but it amazes me the amount of legitimacy they still seem to have in people's minds. I used to like to watch them back when it was tough to see good live video of bands but now with youtube and everything, what possible reason is there to watch them? Endless shots of Eminem grimacing and Lady Gaga trying to look mysterious and edgy. Oops, rant started...sorry.

I only caught a little bit of the Grammys but...

- Lady Gaga. The egg thing? big whoop-tee-doo. The song? Eh, it was alright. Madonna's "Vogue" but w/ better vocals.

- The country gal with the song about the house and the dog buried in the back yard? Meh - of course she won.

- Bruno Mars (that his name, right?) & the b&w soul revival thing? I appreciate the effort & the energy, but you don't have the pipes for it. Nice hair, though.

I...

• knew every word to that Lady Antebellum song but still can't say her name

Lady Antebellum is a BAND. Like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Man, that Dylan performance was awesome. I though Mumford & Sons and the Avett Brothers were fairly generic modern folk stuff, but I really enjoyed that version of Maggie's Farm. Haven't seen Dylan groovin' that much in a while. He was having a blast.

Really? He looked a little lost to me. I haven't seen him live in a few years and I know he still tours but man it sounded rough, and not just the gruff vocals.

Really? He looked a little lost to me. I haven't seen him live in a few years and I know he still tours but man it sounded rough, and not just the gruff vocals.

Yeah, I loved it. He didn't move around anywhere near that much the two times I saw him live. The musical backing was a little rough, but I liked it that way. Made the whole thing more genuine. I guess it was a tribute to acoustic music, and it totally had that kind of amateur vibe going in, in a good way.

Yeah, I loved it. He didn't move around anywhere near that much the two times I saw him live. The musical backing was a little rough, but I liked it that way. Made the whole thing more genuine. I guess it was a tribute to acoustic music, and it totally had that kind of amateur vibe going in, in a good way.

Dylan usually isn't on stage witout his keys or guitar, though. I figured he had to move a little bit due to the fact he only had the harp and harp mic in his one hand. I thought the backing was the only thing that redeemed the tune, actually. The harp "solo" was stilted and short and off by a long shot, imo. The yrics seemed off, too. it's Dylan and I can get a kick out of him doing his thing but I wouldn't listen to that version on an audio disc again....

Yeah, I wouldn't listen to it frequently either. But for watching it one time, I loved it. It was fun. Kinda like a cross between modern Dylan vocals (and the jokes have all been made; nothing more needs to be said) and classic Dylan music. The backing vocals were awesome too.

The harmonica "solo" was stupid though. Totally pointless.

Dylan usually isn't on stage witout his keys or guitar, though. I figured he had to move a little bit due to the fact he only had the harp and harp mic in his one hand.

he does quite a bit of centre stage these days without an instrument. for me, it was the arrangement that nailed it

he does quite a bit of centre stage these days without an instrument. for me,

Oh yeah? It's been about 4 years since I've seen him. I figured you'd know. Arrengement because of all the guitars/banjos or the tempo/lyrical delivery...? That seemed pretty straight to me.

Lady Antebellum is a BAND. Like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd.

But not like Lady Gaga, correct?

Oh yeah? It's been about 4 years since I've seen him. I figured you'd know. Arrengement because of all the guitars/banjos or the tempo/lyrical delivery...? That seemed pretty straight to me.

Go see him again. The centre stage thing is especially powerful for Senor, Forgetful Heart & Ballad of a Thin Man. Very cool stuff.

Oh yeah? It's been about 4 years since I've seen him.

he started doing this at the start of last year. occasionally he does his charlie chaplin walk to the front of the stage with just the harp and "croons" (or croaks) his way through about 3 or 4 songs during the show