Grammy Awards thoughts

Random thoughts and observations about the Grammy Awards broadcast:

Lady Gaga is Madonna on steroids. Her Look, Her Music, Her desire to shock

Muse's performance of UPRISING was rocking. In light of the trumoil in the Middle East, the choreography was a bit unsettling.

Why is Marshall Mathers so angry?

Good to see Lady Antebellum win. Hillary Scott is the daughter of an old friend from High School.

I'm no teenager, but Esperanza Spalding winning best new artist over Justin Beiber is ridiculous. Beiber is a world wide phenomenon with all the incumbent cool indie hatred.

I thought the Avett Brothers and Mumford and Sons killed on their songs. And then getting to back Dylan. How majorly fucking cool was that. Dylan has become a bluesman. And...I guess J-Lo wasn't digging the scene with her deadpan expression in the crowd pan. Neil Young smiling and pointing at Bob was really cool.

If EVER there is going to be a poster child for NOT getting cosmetic surgery, Nicole Kidman is assured the gig. Sweet Fancy Moses.

Cool that Arcade Fire won, but geez what was up with the BMX bikers? Stoooopid shit that. And how surreal was it having the Crypt Keeper...us Kris Kristofferson and Barbra Streisand present them the Award. I imagine that neither on had anything approaching a clue as to who they were. I was halfway hoping that AF would break out WAKE UP as the crowd filed out.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lady A song is a reworked version of Eye in the Sky so I don't understand how it is a great song now but in 1980? when Alan Parsons did it they got no Grammy.

Try to understand this....Neil Young won his FIRST music Grammy ever last night.

I watched bits and pieces.

I now know what Justin Bieber looks like/sounds like.

Lady GaGa has a decent enough voice that she likely doesn't need all the other crap.

Bob Dylan sounded horrible. Even a baker's dozen of banjos/guitars couldn't disguise that fact.

Don Wahlberg is old.

The Lady A song is a reworked version of Eye in the Sky so I don't understand how it is a great song now but in 1980? when Alan Parsons did it they got no Grammy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS1z2inwJ2o

Even the post Grammy's have caused some controversy. A youtube clip of a CBS reporter outside the venue quickly made the rounds today on the various social media outlets. It appeared that the reporter was drunk and slurred her words really badly. Of course, it was a pretty viral video very quickly. Although, according to a lot of sites that reporter is actually being hospitalized for having a stroke/symptoms of a stroke.

Time News Serene Branson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ5P6RUvbVM&feature=player_embedded

I'm not posting this for shock value. I'm just warning you, if you happen to come across this on Facebook and end up posting a funny comment on it. I actually had to look this all up because I knew that this couldn't be booze related.

that is awesome...i knew the melody line was familiar but didn't connect the pieces...

here are my random thoughts i posted from last night.

• i immediately had a Die Antwoord moment when Gaga emerged from her Derek Smalls pod.
  • why is that douche wearing a tea cozy on his head?
  • i'm impressed that Cee-Lo arranged to borrow Sun Ra's headdress.
  • Muse obviously didn't rehearse their award acceptance comments...
  • when did John Mayer surgically transform into a hybrid of Jack White and Johnny Depp?
  • if they don't show van Vliet during the In Memoriam portion...i'll do an angry tweet* or something (*credit to James LCD)
  • I hope that Mick Jagger performs "Let's Work"
  • Mick Jagger makes yr average anorexic look plump

i watched damn near the whole thing. what really impressed me was the B.O.B./bruno mars/janelle monea performance. i had heard janelle's music before that & liked it but never heard the other two guys. bruno mars' doo-wop/r&b bit was pretty cool.

also, katy perry's music is damn catchy.

that is awesome...i knew the melody line was familiar but didn't connect the pieces...

here are my random thoughts i posted from last night.

• i immediately had a Die Antwoord moment when Gaga emerged from her Derek Smalls pod.
  • why is that douche wearing a tea cozy on his head?
  • i'm impressed that Cee-Lo arranged to borrow Sun Ra's headdress.
  • Muse obviously didn't rehearse their award acceptance comments...
  • when did John Mayer surgically transform into a hybrid of Jack White and Johnny Depp?
  • if they don't show van Vliet during the In Memoriam portion...i'll do an angry tweet* or something (*credit to James LCD)
  • I hope that Mick Jagger performs "Let's Work"
  • Mick Jagger makes yr average anorexic look plump

That was the very first thing I said to my wife when we were watching. Dug the song, though.

I didn't watch the show, but looking at the winners I'm thrilled that The Black Keys won Best Alternative Album (over Arcade Fire, no less).

How exactly does that work? Different group of voters for each award? Or are we to infer from this that they thought the two best albums of the year were from alternative bands?

I seriously think that Babs thought the Album of the Year was Arcade Fire by the hot indie band The Suburbs.

Mumford & Sons had the best performance of any act . . . until Arcade Fire took the stage. Those freakin' bmx bikers couldn't ruin that performance for me. Wow.

When the Grammy president gave his little spiel about standing up for artist's rights to express themselve, yadayadayada, my initial thought was why did you make Ceeloo sing the santized version of what should have won song of the year?

I'm not posting this for shock value. I'm just warning you, if you happen to come across this on Facebook and end up posting a funny comment on it. I actually had to look this all up because I knew that this couldn't be booze related.

she did not have a stroke. whether it was just a brain fart or something else is unclear... but it wasn't a stroke.

UPDATE: CBS's website has issued an update on Branson's condition, clearing up the reports that she was hospitalized. They write:

"Serene Branson was examined by paramedics on scene immediately after her broadcast. Her vital signs were normal. She was not hospitalized. As a precautionary measure, a colleague gave her a ride home and she says that she is feeling fine this morning."

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.../#ixzz1Dy35N2mC

Mumford & Sons had the best performance of any act . . . until Arcade Fire took the stage. Those freakin' bmx bikers couldn't ruin that performance for me. Wow.

i really didn't like M&S at all...they seemed far too earnest in demonstrating their rocking-out-ness.

Janelle Monae had a great performance, as did Cee-Lo.

i thought that Arcade Fire song was pretty bad, personally. but, i'm glad they won, moreso for Merge.

i really didn't like M&S at all...they seemed far too earnest in demonstrating their rocking-out-ness.

Janelle Monae had a great performance, as did Cee-Lo.

i thought that Arcade Fire song was pretty bad, personally. but, i'm glad they won, moreso for Merge.

Wow, it's like you are my Bizzaro world Superman . . . I thought Cee-Lo's performance was atrocious and what you call earnest I considered intense. Different strokes for different folks.

I...

• really enjoyed the large man in the chicken suit singing with the Muppets
  • liked Will Smith's little kid
  • agree with the person who said that guy looked just like Johnny Depp
  • am an instant fan of Mumford & Sons
  • feel bad that Kris Kristofferson can barely speak
  • think Bob looked awesome and sounded alright but his mic was too low
  • wanna puke when I see Lady Gaga
  • think I like Eminen more than I should
  • knew every word to that Lady Antebellum song but still can't say her name

I didn't realize that Tim Tebow sings for Mumford & Sons until the Grammys. I was disappointed that my children's favorite, Justin Roberts, lost to Pete Seeger for best children's music album. It's something like Seeger's 6th Grammy and he should have many, many more, so I'm glad he won, but JR's Jungle Gym is full of great melodies and performances that anyone of any age can appreciate. Probably linked to this vid before, but it's freakin' awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTpHAbuEQac

I didn't realize that Tim Tebow sings for Mumford & Sons until the Grammys.

Ha! That is exactly what I said last night. Same for the John Mayer / Johnny Depp thing.

As for the award show, gave out something like 6 awards in 3.5 hours, right? I think it is somewhat telling that they have to say something about going to their website to see who won the actual, you know, Grammys.

And wow, pop music is bad. Katy Perry was rotten. That country song about "going back home" or some similar cliche was even worse. And I don't need to discuss Lady Gaga.