R.I.P. Borders Bookstores

It used to be called Amazon....it's called True Colors now. The owner is so nice and they have such a fantastic selection of books, even beyond the women/gender studies genre. I spent ages in there when I was through there about a year and half ago.

There's also a great feminist bookstore in Chicago called Women and Children First. It is one of the few things I miss about Chicago. Luckily, the indie store in my neighborhood has a great women/gender studies section. I love it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of feminist bookstores....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohk-Ey01c9k&feature=related from the amazing IFC show Portlandia.

well, that's a good, if exagerated, depiction of some of the reason why the indie cd/book/video shops have gone away.

One of my best friends works at Borders and we have talked about why Barnes and Noble posted a quite profitable quarter at the end of 2010 and Borders is tanking. My theory is that Borders tries to be too many things. Like someone just mentioned, they have so much CRAP! I used to be a loyal Borders shopper, but about 2 years ago I switched to Barnes and Noble. I don't feel as overwhelmed when I go in there. And like people have mentioned, their prices on DVDs and CDs is ridiculous. I never bought those things there, only books. While I know how the book industry prices things, I have no idea how it works with those things. So, yeah, those feel more like markups and are outrageous.

My friend's theory is that Barnes and Noble made a savvy move by creating their own e-reader (Nook) and that Borders just sells crappy ones that don't promote a store brand loyalty. With the popularity of e-readers, Borders really missed out on this market.

Barnes and Nobles also have Starbucks' in them.....another addiction.....so for me, it's like corporate crack city. ;)

I don't like these giant "Used Book" stores that have popped up around the north east over the last couple of years. They are simply called "Used Books". They are extremely sketchy with their practices. All locations have a giant drop box for "book donations" that look like it will be used for good will and school children etc. It turns out that that is where this store gets its inventory from. The local news did a piece on this and the guy running it said that he didn't think that he was doing anything wrong. I still haven't seen a clarification sticker on these drop boxes that says that your books will be sold for profit. And yes I realize that probably half of their inventory also comes from buying out old book stores and ironically probably the Border's next door.

I also feel like these two places sell very little. It's quite the hangout place where you aren't even forced to buy something from the cafe or whatever you just read. They should have just had an advertising campaign that went something along the lines of "If you still live at home and need a place to hang out until 11p.m., come on by. We won't pressure you into buying anything." Or "Your local library with a cafe." "Come here to write your thesis and if you get stuck at page 13 you can go over and pick up the latest GQ." Edit: Actually, my local library carries GQ.

From the biography of Henry Ward Beecher I'm reading now:

But books were his biggest indulgence. "Alas! Where is human nature so weak as in a book-store!" Beecher asked. "As a hungry man eats first, and pays afterward, so the book-buyer purchases, and then works at the debt afterward." Appleton's famous bazaar of books on Lower Broadway was like a second home to him, and the amount of money Henry spent there is remarkable even in current dollars. In one five-month period in 1854, he bought sixty-five books totalling $905.63, on topics that would have been unthinkable for an evangelical Christian a dozen years before.

But this is a library book that I'm reading. I blame myself for the downfall of book stores, they seem to be disappearing quickly, since I've given up my Beecher-style book-buying habit and started patronizing the public library on a regular basis.

Guest Speed Racer

I still haven't seen a clarification sticker on these drop boxes that says that your books will be sold for profit.

Is there anything on them that says your books will be donated to charity? I don't see anything wrong with it if that's the case. If it helped me get rid of my old books I'd dump 'em there.

I blame myself for the downfall of book stores, they seem to be disappearing quickly, since I've given up my Beecher-style book-buying habit and started patronizing the public library on a regular basis.

I really don't see what's wrong with that. Why keep books? I've never really been attached to them, save a dozen that I enjoy keeping on the bookshelf. I live near excellent public libraries and I'm not terribly sentimental. Why do we need to produce 1,000,000 books for 1,000,000 readers when 795,000 of them won't want to look at the book again?

That is a GREAT quote Maudie!

Graham WISHES I patronized the library more often....I always seem to find reasons to go to the bookstore. It's a disease. I can't help it!! :P I do regret it when it comes time to move. Since we're living in a transitional situation right now, all of my books are stored in boxes. I can't even tell you how many there are. I think they took up like 1/3 of our moving truck. Yes, it's a disease. Actually, I revisit my books and a lot of them are non-fiction that I return to frequently.

One of my favorite spots in St. Louis is the corner window of this one Barnes and Noble, in the cafe area. I go to the shop, browse, maybe pick up a book or two....but sometimes, I just go get a latte and sit and read whatever I have in my bag, or knit. That spot gets a lot of sunlight and it's been a godsend in these cold winter months. :)

Is there anything on them that says your books will be donated to charity? I don't see anything wrong with it if that's the case. If it helped me get rid of my old books I'd dump 'em there.

It really doesn't say anything other than "drop off your used books here" or something like that. It does look like those giant drop boxes for clothing that are also a little bit unspecific. Although, at least with those it does say something about clothes being donated to a good will type place. I would be similarly upset if those clothes found their way at the brand new used store Savers. I guess I'm upset with the intent unknown and an unclear specification about an end user. When I drop off my grown-out-of clothes at Savers, I know exactly what will be done with them. Well, I obviously won't know who will buy them, but you get the point. The "used book" store drop boxes seem sketchy because they are so vague and misleading due to being vague.

My fears are coming true. We're losing these chain stores and most importantly these niche shops and they are being replaced by a bevy of used stores and dollar stores.

Guest Speed Racer

And yet, I don't buy anything at Savers because I can get a new version of whatever at the Target across the street. If you want to donate to a charity, go to the charity. If you dump stuff in a bin, you get what you get.

Again, Borders is not being replaced by used stores or dollar stores, it's being replaced by online stores.

Who loses when Borders files for bankruptcy? Not the consumer. Maybe some pimply teenager check-out clerks and their CEO, but more than likely just the former.

Again, Borders is not being replaced by used stores or dollar stores, it's being replaced by online stores.

That's not what I meant. I actually meant physical store space that was previously occupied by these chain stores. Savers took over the old Circuit City building. Used Books took over the old Tweeter building. etc...

The original Borders was a three story house just off campus in Ann Arbor. My first experience in a book store ever. I use to spend hours there.

I don't remember that far back, but I do remember when they were still just a single store on State Street near the corner at Liberty.

Eventually they moved into the former Jacobsen's on Liberty.

I don't remember that far back, but I do remember when they were still just a single store on State Street near the corner at Liberty.

Eventually they moved into the former Jacobsen's on Liberty.

I'm thinking it was the mid to late 70s when I would frequent the store. I remember it being multi storied in an old building. Seemed like a house, but apparently not. From Wikipedia: "The first Borders bookshop, with a meager stock of used books, was located in two rooms above 209 State Street, north of the State Theater. From there the brothers soon moved, briefly, to a tiny ground floor + mezzanine operation in the Maynard House apartment building, on the southwest corner of William and Maynard Streets."

Perhaps it was the other State Street location I'm thinking of:

"Wahr's had been mainly a textbook and school supplies vendor, but the brothers did not deal in textbooks. They moved the retail bookshop to much larger quarters that had become available across State Street, in the former location of the Wagner & Son men's clothing store."

I don't like these giant "Used Book" stores that have popped up around the north east over the last couple of years. They are simply called "Used Books". They are extremely sketchy with their practices. All locations have a giant drop box for "book donations" that look like it will be used for good will and school children etc. It turns out that that is where this store gets its inventory from. The local news did a piece on this and the guy running it said that he didn't think that he was doing anything wrong. I still haven't seen a clarification sticker on these drop boxes that says that your books will be sold for profit. And yes I realize that probably half of their inventory also comes from buying out old book stores and ironically probably the Border's next door.

I also feel like these two places sell very little. It's quite the hangout place where you aren't even forced to buy something from the cafe or whatever you just read. They should have just had an advertising campaign that went something along the lines of "If you still live at home and need a place to hang out until 11p.m., come on by. We won't pressure you into buying anything." Or "Your local library with a cafe." "Come here to write your thesis and if you get stuck at page 13 you can go over and pick up the latest GQ." Edit: Actually, my local library carries GQ.

I've never heard of those places. Someone always figures out a way to try and rip you off.

That's funny. I know a guy who stands in book stores and reads books. He never buys them.

I've never heard of those places. Someone always figures out a way to try and rip you off.

That's funny. I know a guy who stands in book stores and reads books. He never buys them.

There is a guy at my grocery store that does that. For hours.

I really don't see what's wrong with that. Why keep books? I've never really been attached to them, save a dozen that I enjoy keeping on the bookshelf. I live near excellent public libraries and I'm not terribly sentimental. Why do we need to produce 1,000,000 books for 1,000,000 readers when 795,000 of them won't want to look at the book again?

You realize that I don't really blame myself, right? :P

Graham WISHES I patronized the library more often....I always seem to find reasons to go to the bookstore. It's a disease. I can't help it!! :P I do regret it when it comes time to move. Since we're living in a transitional situation right now, all of my books are stored in boxes. I can't even tell you how many there are. I think they took up like 1/3 of our moving truck. Yes, it's a disease. Actually, I revisit my books and a lot of them are non-fiction that I return to frequently.

Yeah, definitely a disease. A few years ago, we donated dozens of boxes of books, and I still miss them! But for my own mental health, and so I wouldn't turn up on Hoarders someday, it had to be done... We kept the books that we knew we couldn't live without, and for everything else, the library is right there.

There is a guy at my grocery store that does that. For hours.

All the way back in the 70s, I use to stand and read Hot Rod, Circus, and Mad magazines in the grocery store. Unless I could talk my mom into buying them for me.

Of course, just like music fanatics collect music, some people are into book collecting. I have been around such people, and seen many priceless books over the past couple of decades. I even own a few myself.

If you know what you are looking for, you can sometimes find books worth a bit of money at library books sales, flea markets, etc.

I don't see people collecting e-books. But, who knows what will happen in the future.

Guest Speed Racer

You realize that I don't really blame myself, right? :P

:lol. I know. I've been looking into buying a Nook lately though, and a ton of customer reviews hVe similar sentiments, and I kind of felt the same way until I thought it through a while ago.

Pretty much the only thing I buy new anymore is groceries.

Slightly off-topic, but I've lately developed a kind of weird grocery store anxiety. I could stroll Target for hours, butthe grocery store just overstimulates the hell out of me. I freeze up.

I'm thinking it was the mid to late 70s when I would frequent the store. I remember it being multi storied in an old building. Seemed like a house, but apparently not. From Wikipedia: "The first Borders bookshop, with a meager stock of used books, was located in two rooms above 209 State Street, north of the State Theater. From there the brothers soon moved, briefly, to a tiny ground floor + mezzanine operation in the Maynard House apartment building, on the southwest corner of William and Maynard Streets."

Perhaps it was the other State Street location I'm thinking of:

"Wahr's had been mainly a textbook and school supplies vendor, but the brothers did not deal in textbooks. They moved the retail bookshop to much larger quarters that had become available across State Street, in the former location of the Wagner & Son men's clothing store."

It's the "much larger quarters" on State Street that I remember. I guess I thought that was the original location, but apparently it was the third. (Or fourth?)

Later it was a Steve & Barry's sports apparel store (low-quality Michigan-branded stuff, mostly), and after Steve & Barry's went kaput, it became an additional location of the M Den (more Michigan-branded sports apparel).

Shaman Drum, another good local independent bookshop, was two doors down, but it closed in 2009 and is now a Five Guys Burgers.