R.I.P. Borders Bookstores

Slightly off-topic, but I've lately developed a kind of weird grocery store anxiety. I could stroll Target for hours, butthe grocery store just overstimulates the hell out of me. I freeze up.

Interesting. Is the agoraphobic aspect of grocery stores or is it overstimulation?

I am really beginning to be a misanthrope (i.e. hating humanity, not individual people so much). I guess I have simply seen the avaricious, selfish and greedy side of people for too long. I see it every day, and nearly everyboyd I talk to in a professional capacity lies to me.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a Borders in PA where the whole basement level use to be mostly music. That place had everything - imports, box sets, all sorts of stuff. I once spent two hours looking at cds there. The cds were not all that expensive, but that was before the days of iTunes, and online music buying.

Sometime around the turn of the century I had the same experience on the top floor of the B&N in downtown Baltimore. I couldn't believe how much hard-to-find music was in there. Man, if I were rich I would have needed a little red wagon to haul everything I wanted. I finally found A.M. there (wasn't available anywhere near where I live), and, I swear, the Lt. from Law & Order (S. Epatha whatever her name is) was in there shopping, too! :lol

There is a Borders in PA where the whole basement level use to be mostly music. That place had everything - imports, box sets, all sorts of stuff. I once spent two hours looking at cds there. The cds were not all that expensive, but that was before the days of iTunes, and online music buying.

Sometime around the turn of the century I had the same experience on the top floor of the B&N in downtown Baltimore. I couldn't believe how much hard-to-find music was in there. Man, if I were rich I would have needed a little red wagon to haul everything I wanted. I finally found A.M. there (wasn't available anywhere near where I live), and, I swear, the Lt. from Law & Order (S. Epatha whatever her name is) was in there shopping, too! :lol

These posts take me back to the glory days of Tower Records on North Clark in Chicago. I had many kid-in-a-candy-store moments in that place. (RIP)

I don't like these giant "Used Book" stores that have popped up around the north east over the last couple of years. They are simply called "Used Books". They are extremely sketchy with their practices. All locations have a giant drop box for "book donations" that look like it will be used for good will and school children etc. It turns out that that is where this store gets its inventory from. The local news did a piece on this and the guy running it said that he didn't think that he was doing anything wrong. I still haven't seen a clarification sticker on these drop boxes that says that your books will be sold for profit. And yes I realize that probably half of their inventory also comes from buying out old book stores and ironically probably the Border's next door.

I also feel like these two places sell very little. It's quite the hangout place where you aren't even forced to buy something from the cafe or whatever you just read. They should have just had an advertising campaign that went something along the lines of "If you still live at home and need a place to hang out until 11p.m., come on by. We won't pressure you into buying anything." Or "Your local library with a cafe." "Come here to write your thesis and if you get stuck at page 13 you can go over and pick up the latest GQ." Edit: Actually, my local library carries GQ.

there are some media stores like that too selling dvds/cds/games. one failed in atlanta but there are several in the midwest. the problem is their inventory is complete shit unless you want to round your Bush, No Doubt, and Matchbox 20 collection. on the other hand, my favorite music store in the world is second time around in dayton ohio. all used stuff and they have everything all the time for cheap! you could round out your dylan collection for $20. and they always have several people working which means they are doing well.

They still have a Twist and Shout records and a Tattered cover bookstore in Denver right next to each other. They seem to always be crowded when I'm there. I can spend full days there, I sure hope they can survive. At Twist and shout the CD's are more expensive than amazon by quite a bit, probably the $12 - $15 range for the most part. Who knows maybe they can survive on the vinyl, they have a pretty big selection.

All the way back in the 70s, I use to stand and read Hot Rod, Circus, and Mad magazines in the grocery store. Unless I could talk my mom into buying them for me.

ha! yeah, me too... circus, hit parader, creem, mad... the managers at safeway got pretty good at running us off!

It sucks that a lot of people are going to lose their jobs over this, but aside form that I really don't care that Border's is closing stores and will probably soon be gone entirely.

They've gone so far downhill, and so fast, that it's almost shocking. Borders used to be a pleasant place to shop/browse/spend time. It has turned into a place that flaunt its inability to attract my business.

Interesting. Is the agoraphobic aspect of grocery stores or is it overstimulation?

I am really beginning to be a misanthrope (i.e. hating humanity, not individual people so much). I guess I have simply seen the avaricious, selfish and greedy side of people for too long. I see it every day, and nearly everyboyd I talk to in a professional capacity lies to me.

glad i'm not the only one. just thinking about going to the grocery store makes me anxious. seems like a momentous task at times...much like getting out of bed.

:lol. I know. I've been looking into buying a Nook lately though, and a ton of customer reviews hVe similar sentiments, and I kind of felt the same way until I thought it through a while ago.

Slightly off-topic, but I've lately developed a kind of weird grocery store anxiety. I could stroll Target for hours, butthe grocery store just overstimulates the hell out of me. I freeze up.

for me it's overstimulation!

ha! yeah, me too... circus, hit parader, creem, mad... the managers at safeway got pretty good at running us off!

I remember those days. I loved Circus and Hit Parader, but I was also reading BMX Plus.

and skateboarder! was a huge tony alva fan...

Alva's one of the greats, but I was always more of a Neil Blender, Mark Gonzales guy.

Igave my brother a box full of my old Thrasher magazines from the 80s when I saw hom at Christmas.

I remember those days. I loved Circus and Hit Parader, but I was also reading BMX Plus.

Sounds like me. I also remember reading one called "BMX Action."

:lol Totally forgot about that one.

I Googled it afterwards to make sure I remembered the name right, it's been so long. Funnily enough I recognized some of the covers that popped up and they were from 1982. Crazy. I sure did love my music and BMX mags. I remember longing for some of the cool BMX bikes in the magazine like the Diamondback, Hutch, P.K. Ripper... all I had was a Raleigh Blue Max at the time.

I Googled it afterwards to make sure I remembered the name right, it's been so long. Funnily enough I recognized some of the covers that popped up and they were from 1982. Crazy. I sure did love my music and BMX mags. I remember longing for some of the cool BMX bikes in the magazine like the Diamondback, Hutch, P.K. Ripper... all I had was a Raleigh Blue Max at the time.

I am going to get a BMX bike this spring.

I am going to get a BMX bike this spring.

Cool! Once in a while I miss not having a BMX anymore. You just can't do the same tricks on a mountain bike.

Cool! Once in a while I miss not having a BMX anymore. You just can't do the same tricks on a mountain bike.

I haven't owned a bike since I was 17 or 18 years old. I have been thinking about getting one, and thought, what the hell - I'll get a BMX bike.

(Of course, I really want a Schwinn Krate or Stingray.)

I sure did love my music and BMX mags. I remember longing for some of the cool BMX bikes in the magazine like the Diamondback, Hutch, P.K. Ripper... all I had was a Raleigh Blue Max at the time.

Me too. I eventually got a Redline and my brother had a Torker (super funky looking bike at the time). Those bikes wound up rotting below my parents' porch. I wish I had been in a position to rescue and store them for a couple decades, but they're long gone now.

Borders closing - - > BMX bikes. Definitely one of the best thread-jacks ever.

Me too. I eventually got a Redline and my brother had a Torker (super funky looking bike at the time). Those bikes wound up rotting below my parents' porch. I wish I had been in a position to rescue and store them for a couple decades, but they're long gone now.

Borders closing - - > BMX bikes. Definitely one of the best thread-jacks ever.

I sometimes I have a notion to go on a archeological dig and see if I can find my old chopper bike.

I sometimes I have a notion to go on a archeological dig and see if I can find my old chopper bike.

Chopper Bike. Badass.

I had a couple pretty interesting chiildhood bikes/bike stories.

I think a new thread might be in order to discuss our childhood bicycles.

Our local Borders is closing so we went to see if they had any good closing sales. The initial sale is only 20% off- a quick check of Amazon.com showed that most stuff was still cheaper there after the 20% was knocked off. Crazy. I love real bookstores but I have a very real budget- when books are priced grossly higher than another option, I have to go with the other option (or just not buy at all, which is what i normally do).

Keep an eye out. 20% is probably just the first step. I imagine there will be things @ least 50% off before it's all said and done. I am sure they'd rather take a small loss on what they sell their inventory for rather than pay to ship it off to other stores or dump it entirely.

Looks like Borders/Whitcoulls and Angus & Robertson in Australia and New Zealand are going down the tubes too. All owned by the Redgroup retail company.

The cheeky bastards at Whitcoulls are making people with gift cards spend an equal amount in the store when they redeem the voucher! Fuckers! :realmad

Bookstores in New Zealand are selling top titles at two to three times their price in the US and Britain, which may help explain why two of the country's biggest book chains were this week put into administration.-New Zealand Hearald