R.I.P. Borders Bookstores

"Bookseller Borders, which helped pioneer superstores that put countless mom-and-pop bookshops out of business, filed for bankruptcy protection Wednesday, sunk by crushing debt and sluggishness in adapting to a rapidly changing industry." Full story here. Anyone looking to make any big book or music purchases should consider holding off until this weekend when the stores explode with clearance sales...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

You can get all the paperbacks you want at Amazon. This has nothing to do with e-books and everything to do with their stores having terrible mark-ups and, you know, the part where you have to put on pants to go there to walk around to buy a book.

Book store gone the way of the record store and the video store. Retail outlets for these things are unnecessary, really.

The original Borders was a three story house just off campus in Ann Arbor. My first experience in a book store ever. I use to spend hours there.

You can get all the paperbacks you want at Amazon. This has nothing to do with e-books and everything to do with their stores having terrible mark-ups and, you know, the part where you have to put on pants to go there to walk around to buy a book.

This. What I had originally said was a joke on the changing times. In reality these two big behemoth book stores overcharge on cds and dvds. It makes you wonder why they even bother to sell them. I know that Barnes & Noble offers 10% off for people that have a reward points card. 10% really doesn't do much, as you will see below.

I've seen a new dvd title anywhere from $18.99 to $29.99 and then walk over to Best Buy and find the same title for $14.99. Of course, this usually lasts for the first 5 days then it goes up to $18.99 or so.

Edit: For my film buddies on here - I know the only reason why I go into either of these places is to check out their pretty much complete selection of Criterion Collection titles. Although, I have never bought one from there because they all roughly go for $39.99. To be fair, Barnes & Noble did have a Christmas special where you could buy two for one or rather they were all half price.

This. What I had originally said was a joke on the changing times. In reality these two big behemoth book stores overcharge on cds and dvds. It makes you wonder why they even bother to sell them. I know that Barnes & Noble offers 10% off for people that have a reward points card. 10% really doesn't do much, as you will see below.

I've seen a new dvd title anywhere from $18.99 to $29.99 and then walk over to Best Buy and find the same title for $14.99. Of course, this usually lasts for the first 5 days then it goes up to $18.99 or so.

Edit: For my film buddies on here - I know the only reason why I go into either of these places is to check out their pretty much complete selection of Criterion Collection titles. Although, I have never bought one from there because they all roughly go for $39.99. To be fair, Barnes & Noble did have a Christmas special where you could buy two for one or rather they were all half price.

Just think of the local bookstores Borders may have ran out of business. I would much rather have the three bookstores that used to be right downtown here where I live , than a Borders. I am use to it though, as they have been gone for years. Just like the record stores.

And yes, who is the hell pays 18 bucks for a cd?

I'd say it's a combination of online purchasing, and the rise of e-book readers.

We have a Barnes and Noble here. It is a neat place to hang put - but I don't think I ever bought a book there that was not on the bargain table. Plus they have the British rock magazines. I have not been there in a while though.

I am sort of at a place where I don't feel the need to buy any more cds or dvds, or whatever.

I really hope they stay open, I buy a lot of cd's there. Before you call me an idiot, I use Discover rewards bucks to get a $25 gift card for $20. Then I use my Borders rewards membership, which gives you 30-40% off coupons, plus an additional 10% off and free shipping. So, a $16 cd is now under $10 and I'm buying it with a gift card through Discover. Really supports my habit and allows me to own physical copies of music that you can't find at the big box stores for a very low price.

A big problem with Borders is their online store sucks compared to Amazon and B&N. Several times I have had to navigate around their system to find an album. The artist sometimes is not linked, so I have to find it by looking up the album title instead. I'd hate to think of how many sales they lose because of this.

I really hope they stay open, I buy a lot of cd's there. Before you call me an idiot, I use Discover rewards bucks to get a $25 gift card for $20. Then I use my Borders rewards membership, which gives you 30-40% off coupons, plus an additional 10% off and free shipping. So, a $16 cd is now under $10 and I'm buying it with a gift card through Discover. Really supports my habit and allows me to own physical copies of music that you can't find at the big box stores for a very low price.

A big problem with Borders is their online store sucks compared to Amazon and B&N. Several times I have had to navigate around their system to find an album. The artist sometimes is not linked, so I have to find it by looking up the album title instead. I'd hate to think of how many sales they lose because of this.

There is a Borders in PA where the whole basement level use to be mostly music. That place had everything - imports, box sets, all sorts of stuff. I once spent two hours looking at cds there. The cds were not all that expensive, but that was before the days of iTunes, and online music buying.

The last time I was there a few years ago, almost all of the inventory was gone. It was pretty much what you see at a Walmart now, mainly greatest hits, some new releases, and stuff people buy a lot - such as certain country artists.

There is a Borders in PA where the whole basement level use to be mostly music. That place had everything - imports, box sets, all sorts of stuff. I once spent two hours looking at cds there. The cds were not all that expensive, but that was before the days of iTunes, and online music buying.

The last time I was there a few years ago, almost all of the inventory was gone. It was pretty much what you see at a Walmart now, mainly greatest hits, some new releases, and stuff people buy a lot - such as certain country artists.

I think it depends on the store. I have been to many that are more like Wal-Mart. However, the one I hit has many indie bands. I recently bought the newest Menomena and Delta Spirit albums there, for example. I even saw the Anais Mitchell - Hadestown album there the other day.

Guest Speed Racer

what about imports?

Never needed to buy imports since most of my music purchasing has been in the mp3 age. I'm not going to buy the Japanese release of an album for one new track someone already emailed me and a shitty live track of a band's worst song.

Guest Speed Racer

No, I buy CDs, and won't pay more than $10. I've never purchased an mp3 or CD of an import because I've never seen a need, except for the AGIB bonus disc, which I coupled in with my "on release day" exception.

ETA: Ah, I see where you lost me. Since I have purchased music (CDs) in the mp3 age, I do not need to pay for an import of a CD I already own to hear that one bonus track I want. Someone else has it, and somehow I find it.

I think it depends on the store. I have been to many that are more like Wal-Mart. However, the one I hit has many indie bands. I recently bought the newest Menomena and Delta Spirit albums there, for example. I even saw the Anais Mitchell - Hadestown album there the other day.

When I went to the one in PA years ago, they actually had the first Grandpaboy cd in there. I don't recall ever seeing that in a store before, or since.

The reason I like used bookstores, and/or independent books stores better than chain places is that I think they have more of a selection.

As you say though, it may well depend on where the store is - as to the space they have, and what they carry.

I don't really buy books anymore, except for the occasional music related book every once in a while. I mainly use the public library to get the books I want to read.

Bookstores don't really "mark up", they charge "list price", which is to be expected in any store front bookstore, especially smaller stores. Instead of talking mark-up, it's really more about discount. I used to work for a book publisher and we sold at bulk rate, around 50% off the list price to the larger bookstores/distributors, 30-40% off list price to the smaller shops and distributors. A place like Amazon, since they buy in such HUGE numbers from publishers, can buy at a deeply discounted rate, passing along those savings to their customers. Most brick and mortar stores, because of overhead, can't do this. So, really, paying list price isn't that shocking. I really don't see it as a greedy "mark up" - it's about making money back after they've paid out. Also, keep in mind, every book that is IN a bookstore has been purchased from a publisher up front. Most publishers will take returns on unsold books if they are still in print and the latest editions, but there are no guarantees. So, I don't begrudge the stores for their prices. It's the publisher that sets the list price to begin with - though of course there are industry averages.

I will pay full list price for a book from my awesome independent shop down the street, as well as from Barnes and Noble (which is my preferred "big box" bookstore). I don't mind, especially if I am eager to get the book. I LOVE going to bookstores and wandering around for ages. It is a pleasure I will pay a little more for. I make a point to patronize my indie bookstore on a regular basis. When I travel I love to look for unique independent bookstores and have discovered some amazing feminist bookstores. The best one is in Minneapolis, and is in danger of closing. :( Still, I do buy the bulk of my books from Amazon.

well, it's too bad. i can't say i bought much at a borders, but damn did i do a lot of research on music there with listening stations and such. they were great for that. it's been very interesting to see bn and borders change over the last 10 years. it used to be about 45% books, 45% movies/music an 10% crap. now its basically 10% cds, some pop culture books and lots of plastic crap. it's over man! when they have the vh1 show about the 00s they'll have some C list celeb talk about borders. on a positive note, i think this decade we'll see the evening out of the media. cds, dvds, books aren't going anywhere, just smaller numbers. stuff will slowly be going out of print and by the time the boomers quit buying stuff, it'll all be digital....or maybe not...with the price of bandwidth these days, can't see the movie streaming thing getting off the ground soon. it's still cheaper for corps to make and sell cds and dvds.

No record stores, no book stores, get rid of guitar stores and shopping will be a very, very small part of my life.

we still have a few of the above in atlanta, but most shopping centers are totally burned out with maybe a nail shop, cell phone shop.

Guest Speed Racer

No record stores, no book stores, get rid of guitar stores and shopping will be a very, very small part of my life.

Guitars are a different beast entirely, though. Their price, and their used value, make them a worthwhile in-person purchase. Yes, lots of people buy them online, but there's a huge difference between buying high-end items like bicycles and guitars online versus a store.

And you'll always be shopping, the question is just whether you need to leave your home.