• 2 years later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a lot of discussion about the Oscars this year. Probably because the results seemed especially predictable this year. Plus, I didn't get around to seeing everything until Sunday afternoon.

My order of preference of the Best Picture nominees:

1. Her

2. Gravity

3. The Wolf of Wall Street

4. Captain Phillips

5. Dallas Buyers Club

6. Philomena

7. Nebraska

8. American Hustle

9. 12 Years a Slave

I really didn't like 12 Years a Slave. I thought the performances and screenplay were ham-fisted (except for Fassbender). It felt disjointed; more like a series of scenes and images barely stitched together (some worked well). And ultimately, I felt no emotional connection in the end.

American Hustle was similar, although the screenplay was even worse. The voice-overs at the beginning really felt odd and out of place.

I loved Jen Lawrence in Hustle. She really threw herself into crazy. I couldnt wait for her to get back on screen to see what she'd do next.

I usually like Ellen, but thought she was off that night.  I wasn't crazy about the pizza bit, but I did think the selfie was cute.

Very happy for Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto, but I can't even imagine what a freak show that set must have been.  Those two are both so spacey.

Guest Jules

I loved Jen Lawrence in Hustle. She really threw herself into crazy. I couldnt wait for her to get back on screen to see what she'd do next.

Just cause you love Winter's Bone doesn't mean you can call her Jen.

I hate McConaughey's speeches.  What was he even talking about?

I gotta wonder, where did she hide those jugs in Winter's Bone? I'm not necessarily partial to giant golden winnebagos but those were nice.

I hate McConaughey's speeches.  What was he even talking about?

Loved McConaughey's speech. All the acceptance speeches were great.

He sure has a lot of thoughts. Sounded like a bunch of gobbly goop to me.

You're a basically happy person with a fantastic family and non-pleated pants. Matthew was speaking more to the tortured souls who could have been great artists if they had not gotten trapped in unrewarding careers and middle-aged angst and pleated suit pants.

Guest Jules

Not that difficult. His hero is who he strives to be in 10 years. Makes complete sense.

His hero is himself.  Got it.  What a load of crap.  Just thank your hot wife, your Mom and your abs and get off the stage.