I met Michael Stipe and Wayne Coyne last night!

Pardon me and my geeky fandom! As you know I am as big an REM fan as there is..went to the Tibet House benefit at Carnegie Hall where I saw Wayne Coyne on the street before the show with whom was very gracious and I talked a little about the Flaming Lips with etc..then after the show I finally completed getting an REM album signed..I hear Michael is tough and rarley signs so as he slithered onto the street stealthly wearing a winter hat and barley noticeable I asked and he stopped and we talked for a few seconds...it may not seem significant but here I was talking to my musical idol for the last 22 years and got my cd signed to boot...WHAT A GREAT NIGHT! :dancing

PS...In my excitment I piut this in the wrong forum if you want to move it to someone elses song!

Pardon me and my geeky fandom! As you know I am as big an REM fan as there is..went to the Tibet House benefit at Carnegie Hall where I saw Wayne Coyne on the street before the show with whom was very gracious and I talked a little about the Flaming Lips with etc..then after the show I finally completed getting an REM album signed..I hear Michael is tough and rarley signs so as he slithered onto the street stealthly wearing a winter hat and barley noticeable I asked and he stopped and we talked for a few seconds...it may not seem significant but here I was talking to my musical idol for the last 22 years and got my cd signed to boot...WHAT A GREAT NIGHT! :dancing

PS...In my excitment I piut this in the wrong forum if you want to move it to someone elses song!

I am excited that you met these two, but the title of this thread is a little creepy, dontcha think?

I am excited that you met these two, but the title of this thread is a little creepy, dontcha think?

YIKES! Editted...I did get a laugh after I read what I wrote. Late night yesterday and early morning makes me a carless typer! :ninja

PS I Wrote I met Michael in Wayne...oye!

I alread had Reveal Signed by Mills and Buck so Reveal was it...not necessarily my favorite album but the cover is good for signing!

Glad you got to meet your hero. I met Michael Stipe in 1990 when REM were my favourite band by a country-mile. He was playing the Big Day Out in Glasgow (Scotland) with Natalie Merchant and Billy Bragg and I stumbled upon the three of them prior to the soundcheck the day before. I thought he was not unexpectedly somewhat guarded and very definitely an "artiste". It was also my first realisation that lead-singers are pygmies. I towered over him. Natalie Merchant was utterly charming. Very happy to chat for a few minutes and very gracious about photographs.

Glad you got to meet your hero. I met Michael Stipe in 1990 when REM were my favourite band by a country-mile. He was playing the Big Day Out in Glasgow (Scotland) with Natalie Merchant and Billy Bragg and I stumbled upon the three of them prior to the soundcheck the day before. I thought he was not unexpectedly somewhat guarded and very definitely an "artiste". It was also my first realisation that lead-singers are pygmies. I towered over him. Natalie Merchant was utterly charming. Very happy to chat for a few minutes and very gracious about photographs.

That is a fun story...I have heard all types of stories about Stipe guess you just got to catch him at the right time.....

That's very exciting remphish, congrats! I wonder if he was glad it was a recent album and not Document or something.

Was Wayne in a white suit?

Grey suit with a wacky scarf...he was really friendly...spoke to Steve Drozd too..told him I liked his work on Farrars album and he was taken aback a little :P

Have a friend who is journo who interviewed him. Says he is a prince amongst a lot of d-bags.

well, I think your friend is incorrect.

wayne is always seen out and about here in oklahoma city when he's in town and it's pretty cool how people really don't bug him that much. i think because he doesn't stay in hiding and isn't afraid to go to the coffee shop, record store, club shows, etc... he's just like a regular guy around here. now, he does get some geeked-out fan-boy attention, but that's fairly rare. mostly people will just go up and say hello or take a quick pic with him.

I think when he said prince amongst dbags he meant wayne is a prince, but most musicians are dbags. I've been literally walked on by wayne twice, but I don't hold a grudge. He seems nice.

Wayne has been INSANELY friendly the few times i've met him.

that really, really made me laugh out loud ferawhile..

Thank You.

I wonder if he was glad it was a recent album and not Document or something.

That is an interesting issue. A friend of mine, who is a huge REM fan, ran into Peter Buck in a record store a couple of years ago and the conversation apparently went something like this:

Friend: Hi, I'm a huge fan and your early albums were really really important to me.

Buck: Thanks, that's nice to hear. Hopefully our more recent albums are important to you too.

Friend: Um, well, uhh ...

My friend says Buck was really nice and they talked for a while longer but he said that was kind of awkward.

That is an interesting issue. A friend of mine, who is a huge REM fan, ran into Peter Buck in a record store a couple of years ago and the conversation apparently went something like this:

Friend: Hi, I'm a huge fan and your early albums were really really important to me.

Buck: Thanks, that's nice to hear. Hopefully our more recent albums are important to you too.

Friend: Um, well, uhh ...

My friend says Buck was really nice and they talked for a while longer but he said that was kind of awkward.

That's a snotty thing for Buck to say. It takes a great sense of self-wareness (the kind that lets you make good records past the age of 40) to admit your recent work isn't as good as your peak work. REM sucks anyway. Horrible band with a pretentious twat for a lead singer.