Neil Young ticket prices

I am working under the assumption that Neil has been somewhat smart with his money. He holds a lot of California real estate with his ranch, he started a school for disabled children, was a major stockholder in Lionel model railroads, has sold lots of albums with Buffalo Springfield, CSNY, and as a solo artist, and has toured extensively. Granted, he's flighty and probably given to reckless behavior from time to time, but there's no reason to assume he needs the money. If the money help him and his family live the kind of life they want to and people are willing to pay the ticket cost, the good for him. I can't afford it, but it's his choice.

I would say this is a safe assumption. Neil has an extensive solo cataloge that continues to sell well with new and old fans. The guy isn't hurting at all. Also big stars CAN demand larger fees.

LouieB

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say this is a safe assumption. Neil has an extensive solo cataloge that continues to sell well with new and old fans. The guy isn't hurting at all. Also big stars CAN demand larger fees.

LouieB

i still think the prices are ridiculous, but neil does do a lot with his money. he's responsible for the livelihood of lots of people. there are folks on that ranch that work for him that he's never seen. :stunned

Like Tinnitus kinda said, I'm not comfortable just assuming Neil's a multi-millionaire, and any money made touring is completely superfluous. Obviously he's got hits and years of touring and whatnot, but it's still a big assumption to make. He might need the money, I can't possibly know.

it's probably safe to assume that he could live off 'Heart of Gold' for the rest of his life and be just fine. i'm reminded of Randy Meisner of the Eagles who lives off Take it To the Limit (which he only has a cowrite) and does really well.

So good ol' Neil raised his ticket prices to ward off scalpers? He's screwing us so the scalpers don't have to? What a guy!!!

Please. When I think of the money I've given to some of these greedy old bastards over the decades, only to have them do this...Is ANYBODY doing it for the music anymore?

Sorry for the anger, but I feel a very real sense of betrayal, particularly in the case of Petty & Young. After all their men-of-the-people bullshit, this?

In the past few years I've had to pass on two amazing double-bills: Neil Young with Wilco, and Tom Petty with My Morning Jacket, because of ticket prices. Both times I went from excitement upon hearing of the show to total outrage at the screwing I was expected to take. I can't be the only one.

next time go to the venue and get a $20 ticket outside. did this for CSNY and Petty twice. went inside and sat where ever i wanted, basically. have also done this with springsteen several times. usually works well with big arenas. :cheers

it's probably safe to assume that he could live off 'Heart of Gold' for the rest of his life and be just fine. i'm reminded of Randy Meisner of the Eagles who lives off Take it To the Limit (which he only has a cowrite) and does really well.

I know this is probably right, it's just too big a jump for me. I can safely assume Neil's not barely getting by paycheck to paycheck, but anything beyond that is too far.

i still think the prices are ridiculous, but neil does do a lot with his money. he's responsible for the livelihood of lots of people. there are folks on that ranch that work for him that he's never seen. :stunned

Yes and Yes. I am sitting in an office today listening to the "lite" rock station (it is piped in, not because I want to....!!!) The mechanical residuals most artist make from radio, muzak, film, etc, are more than enough to keep anyone one of us happy for a lifetime. But unlike Randy Meisner, Neil has put out album after album, reissued old albums, put out movies, concerts, all that stuff people yearn for and he is right up there with the best of them (Dylan, Bowie, Jagger, etc.)

Despite Neil's hippie cred he is a total capitalist at this point. Every time he drops an album, good or bad, he makes plenty. And actually Heart of Gold....1972....that is 40 years of royalties he has gotten. I was a mere college student when that came out and I am close (though not close enough since I didn't write any hit songs) to retirement.

LouieB

Yes and Yes. I am sitting in an office today listening to the "lite" rock station (it is piped in, not because I want to....!!!) The mechanical residuals most artist make from radio, muzak, film, etc, are more than enough to keep anyone one of us happy for a lifetime. But unlike Randy Meisner, Neil has put out album after album, reissued old albums, put out movies, concerts, all that stuff people yearn for and he is right up there with the best of them (Dylan, Bowie, Jagger, etc.)

Despite Neil's hippie cred he is a total capitalist at this point. Every time he drops an album, good or bad, he makes plenty. And actually Heart of Gold....1972....that is 40 years of royalties he has gotten. I was a mere college student when that came out and I am close (though not close enough since I didn't write any hit songs) to retirement.

LouieB

For what it's worth, and this won't be popular here, I know, but I also just saw tickets to see Jeff Tweedy at the vic were $61 and I think that's a bit high too.

For what it's worth, and this won't be popular here, I know, but I also just saw tickets to see Jeff Tweedy at the vic were $61 and I think that's a bit high too.

Wasn't that for the Near North Montessori benefit? Benefits are always more expensive because they are trying to raise money for something.

LouieB

Wasn't that for the Near North Montessori benefit? Benefits are always more expensive because they are trying to raise money for something.

LouieB

I don't know, it's in april I think. I thought it sold out but I was on the vic website and there are tickets. maybe they put more up?

I don't know, it's in april I think. I thought it sold out but I was on the vic website and there are tickets. maybe they put more up?

These are the benefit shows for Near North. But the charges are pretty high as usual because of Jam.

Actually someone needs to go back to school...and I quote...ANNUAL YOUTH SCHOLORSHIP BENEFIT SHOWS Someone didn't proof their work. Also a geography problem. This is at the Vic, but the description below is the Riv. Go figure.

LouieB

I was going to post something like that; the ONLY way I could see myself paying such an outrageous price for a concert ticket is if the proceeds were going to a charity that I felt strongly about. Short of that, $250 (hell, $100) for a ticket to watch one guy play is just obscene. legend or not, that's ridiculous.

For what it's worth, and i know the concert is still over a month out, but there are STILL 3rd row seats up on ticketmaster.

The shows will not sell out unless a third party is brought in to buy the tickets and scalp them for under face.

You gotta figure anyone die-hard enough to spend $275 on a ticket would have been all over it the day they went on sale. Now it's 3 days later and there are amazing seats left

not sure where you are, but i just checked the two Boston dates and the best single ticket I could find was 30 rows from the stage.

not sure of your definition, but amazing wouldn't be my first adjective used.

i was just looking at the chicago shows

I think that is just the new norm for artists at that level. I paid 250 bucks to see Rush last summer. It if was the summer of 1977, it would have cost, what 20 bucks or something. I figure that is just the way it is. Plus, the cost of everything is going up, all the time. I don't see how bands like Wilco can afford to charge 40 bucks or whatever it is they charge. I would think they will have to raise their ticket prices at some point.

Plus, if you read the Shakey book, they you learn that Neil does not sit around on piles of money, he spends it. And I doubt he sells enough new records to make anything from them, plus from what I have read, the days of label support are mostly over.

Plus, if you read the Shakey book, they you learn that Neil does not sit around on piles of money, he spends it. And I doubt he sells enough new records to make anything from them, plus from what I have read, the days of label support are mostly over.

i can tell you that Warners has consistently refused to do any press buy-outs for review tickets over the last few tours.

I think that is just the new norm for artists at that level. I paid 250 bucks to see Rush last summer. It if was the summer of 1977, it would have cost, what 20 bucks or something. I figure that is just the way it is. Plus, the cost of everything is going up, all the time. I don't see how bands like Wilco can afford to charge 40 bucks or whatever it is they charge. I would think they will have to raise their ticket prices at some point.

i only paid $40 for my rush ticket. i did sit on the lawn though.

I suppose only Neil's accountant knows how much he makes. What is he spending it on? And you may be correct that the new records don't sell squat, but the old ones I bet do pretty well. If his records as a whole didn't sell enough Reprise would cut him loose, like all the big labels have done to his generation. But they let him put out whatever he wants, so I think he pays the bills.

LouieB

i think for the tom waits tour he did a few years back he made every ticket will call ONLY, which greatly affected the amount of scalping. There's ways to try and stop scalping, and i guess doing something like blowing up the prices of your shows is one way, but it's also a way to lose fans, not that he cares

Tom did that in 2008. It worked, too, as near as I can tell.

As you've stated, each and every ticket was essentially a Will-Call affair. We were issued a paper slip w/ our seat assignment, but this was after we gained entry into the venue by producing the credit card used and our ID, and there was no re-entry if you wanted to step out and smoke.

It had its hiccups the first few nights, but I believe they worked the kinks out and it was considered a success. Oh, and those ticket prices? I don't think they even topped $70-$80, and there wasn't any tiered pricing either, which I much prefer. It helps keep the playing field level when the tickets go on sale. My $80 can get me just as close as I can be as your $80.

I'm wondering if Neil is trying to convert another electric auto? That shit ain't cheap. But I won't be contributing to the fund-- not in this economy.

I'm wondering if Neil is trying to convert another electric auto? That shit ain't cheap. But I won't be contributing to the fund-- not in this economy.

:lol

Best post ever on this. I think Neil can afford an electric car if he wants one. Sell a vintage guitar or two and I am sure he can swing it.

LouieB