Wilco Examiner Whatnot

Hey folks - I've been writing as the Wilco Examiner since late last year. Hope folks will give me feedback and subscribe to my posts - it's something I do on the side of writing about indie film as the Raleigh Indie Movie Examiner.

Anyway hope to hear from you!

- Dan

Yeah...I saw your column/blog re: the 3/22 show. It was a really good review.

Hope you stick around.

Thanks for what you do, Dan. I subscribed to the Wilco Examiner a while back and never realized it was just one person. I thought it was some kind of automated web spidering service. I've occasionally spotted little gems that I might not have seen elsewhere, compulsive though I am. You do us proud!

I wasn't really aware of your site, or whatever, until you linked to it. I'm sure it's valuable to some people as a sort of aggregating tool. I did notice that you don't really credit the source from which you're pulling the setlists you post, though. :brow

Since I'm the source of some of that information, I guess I have a more vested interest than most. And I don't really care all that much; I've always posted setlists, etc., just for the benefit of any members of this community who I think might be interested in that stuff. The journalist in me, though, does feel a twinge of indignation over the fact that you've basically just appropriated that information. Sometimes you give attribution to things, but it seems to me that you ought to think about making that a more consistent practice where applicable, lest anyone think that you're coming up with original material. :ermm

Mr. Cheeztastic -How would you like to be credited? I can use your whole name if you like or just use "Mr. Cheeztastic" - whatever you prefer.

Thanks,

Dan

You don't have to credit me specifically or by name, but you could say you pulled it from viachicago.org or whatever sources you're aggregating from. The point is attribution should always be made when you're taking info from another source. Journalism 101. :shifty

I'm not always the person who happens to post a setlist—mdpoet did it just the other night—so I don't know what others prefer in terms of how they want to be credited. But I would think that if you at least said you obtained "x" info from this forum (or wherever you got it from), that would be a step in the right direction.

Thanks. I will do so.

- Dan

You don't have to credit me specifically or by name, but you could say you pulled it from viachicago.org or whatever sources you're aggregating from. The point is attribution should always be made when you're taking info from another source. Journalism 101. :shifty

I'm not always the person who happens to post a setlist—mdpoet did it just the other night—so I don't know what others prefer in terms of how they want to be credited. But I would think that if you at least said you obtained "x" info from this forum (or wherever you got it from), that would be a step in the right direction.

You should be able to go to Wilcobase and get all the setlists you want. It's just sort of behind at the moment. All you need to do is say - "setlist courtesy of Wilcobase".

Information wants to be free.

Information wants to be free.

analogman, well put, that is a really great belief and line. i want to see it every day. i can write it on my wall but also want to carry it around with me. maybe a bumper sticker?