At the show. They went on late on the final night of a four day festival. Many people had gone. It had rained two hours earlier. So the energy level was low. The show itself was fine. Very standard these days. Tweedy said they hadn't practiced. All he meant, I thought, was that they were only prepared to play the usual stuff, which they did. They are a great band, but the usual stuff, for all its greatness, is getting somewhat stale (if you've seen them a bunch of times, which I have). When are we going to hear the new songs?

At the show. They went on late on the final night of a four day festival. Many people had gone. It had rained two hours earlier. So the energy level was low. The show itself was fine. Very standard these days. Tweedy said they hadn't practiced. All he meant, I thought, was that they were only prepared to play the usual stuff, which they did. They are a great band, but the usual stuff, for all its greatness, is getting somewhat stale (if you've seen them a bunch of times, which I have). When are we going to hear the new songs?

I think they've said they are saving the new stuff for Solid Sound. And while it was a short setlist, i thought there were a few unusual goodies in there (Kamera, Company, Airline to Heaven, Theologians).

Listening to a webcast is one way to get a setlist before Bbop (Paul a.k.a. Setlistguy) posts it.

Yeah, damn those webcasts! Just kidding. I couldn't make it to the Gorge this time -- would love to go someday -- but happened to turn on the NPR stream just when the Decemberists were going on. So, of course I stayed up late to catch the Wilco set as well. First time I've actually listened to a webcast show and, while it's no substitute for actually being there, I thought it was pretty cool. So kudos to NPR.

I had to laugh when the commentators were speculating about new songs, though, because most of us knew that they almost certainly weren't going to play anything new.

Anyway, I do sympathize with the 'last set of a long festival' sentiment, though. It's hard to keep the energy level up at the end of a long four days. Especially when your music isn't intrinsically peppy or dance-y. That said, they sounded good. Nels always does something interesting with Impossible Germany, even though he's played it a thousand times. And Jeff seemed to be in a good, chatty mood. Did Josh come out on cowbell for Hoodoo Voodoo?

god damn that solo Nels takes on Ashes of American Flags was fucking great.

Right now, Nels makes the band. He was amazing at Sasquatch. Jeff seems to be biding his time. I'd also like to see John sing more than It's Just That Simple every tenth show.

Yeah, Stirratt is a huge asset to Wilco and I'd love to hear him sing more, too, whether its harmony or lead. He's got such a great feel on bass and he rocks it, too. Just like Tweedy said in the live DVD, Wilco probably wouldn't survive without John.

Well, I know what you mean, because this lineup of Wilco is really a true rock ensemble. They are a perfect example of the saying the whole is greater than the sum of the parts and the way they play together like a well-oiled machine blows me away every time. Some members of Wilco draw more attention to themselves than others, obviously :thumbup , but for me the greatness of the band is in how they play together.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, and I was there. It did seem somewhat stale, after several attending several Pacific NW shows in the past. I say this as a long term fan, but maybe after 9 bands total that day, it was getting late (and cold!) and they were just the usual awesome.

and yes, I'm way late in checking this thread out.

My favorite band of the day was the Old 97s., followed by Sharon Jones. The Decemberists did a stellar set, but it was too short