Top 50 american rock bands of all time...

funkadelic/parliament

Funkadelic should have been in the top 10, sadly didn't even make that list.

I didn't see Pavement on the list either, would have put them on there as well.

my alternate top 10, based on personal preference and perceived influence (in no particular order...can't be arsed to spend too much time thinking about it)...for this list i am not putting in 'person x and y band' like springsteen or petty...pretty arbitrary decision i know...

jefferson airplane

sonic youth

byrds

black flag

REM

nirvana

funkadelic/parliament

stooges

CCR

guided by voices

That's a much better list, just need to shoe horn The Replacements in there somewhere.

Velvets, Grateful Dead and CCR should all be MUCH higher up the list.

Where's Hendrix, Chuck Berry, The Band, CSN, The Pretenders, Devo, Crazy Horse?

Velvets, Grateful Dead and CCR should all be MUCH higher up the list.

Where's Hendrix, Chuck Berry, The Band, CSN, The Pretenders, Devo, Crazy Horse?

They probably ignored The Band as they were 80% Canadian. Otherwise they'd belong in the top 5 for sure.

They probably ignored The Band as they were 80% Canadian. Otherwise they'd belong in the top 5 for sure.

I know, but who's really going to write in complaining that The Band were "a Canadian group"? They never were. They were an American band through and through.

Anyone care to provide an alternative top ten. Would be interesting to see if there is any kind of consensus. Would Wilco be in there?

As an aside, us Brits always produced the best bands press whilst you guys seem to produce the best solo artists.

:monkey

I know, but who's really going to write in complaining that The Band were "a Canadian group"? They never were. They were an American band through and through.

You'd be surprised! I had this older drunk gentleman talking my ear off last night after the fireworks. He said that we should invade Mexico before "they all come over here" and carpet bomb Iran. I asked him "what about the innocent civilians?" He replied, "well, we can tell them to duck. Can't we?" :stunned Anyways, he mentioned that we should invade Canada and push all of the Canadians out of their houses and take over their country.

His two big concerns were: 1) who is going to push the button when the Mexicans take over? He kept saying that the "pols" would walk out of their jobs and the Army would take over. He assumed that the Army would be made up of 90% illegals. 2) how come bartenders and servers make below minimum wage? He said that he'd offer to pay $20 for a burger, so that the bartender can make $9 per hour.

In other words: there would probably be some people complaining about The Band.