straight from the horses mouth:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/john-fogerty-open-to-creedence-clearwater-revival-reunion-20110711

After years of bad blood with his old bandmates, John Fogerty has softened his position on the possibility of a Creedence Clearwater Revival reunion. In an interview with the Calgary Herald, Fogerty says that he no longer feels an intense bitterness toward bassist Stu Cook and drummer Doug Clifford. The guitarist refused to appear with either of them when the band was inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993 and he sued the duo in 1997 for performing under the name Creedence Clearwater Revisited.

"Years ago, I looked at people and I was so full of some sort of emotion and I'd say, 'Absolutely not!'," Fogerty says. "I have to admit, people have asked me more recently, and even though I have no idea how such a series of events would come to pass, I can tell that there isn't the bombast in my voice, in the denial, in the refusal. It's more like, 'Well, I dunno.' Never say never is I guess is what people tell you. In this life, all kinds of strange things come to pass."

As of yet, Fogerty has no plans to pursue a reunion, but is open to giving it a shot down the line. "Realizing that it doesn't really kick up a big firestorm of emotion, it kind of suggests that at least if someone started talking I'd sit still long enough to listen," he says.

Would this really be a big deal? I see CCR as kind of like Wilco. That is Wilco = Jeff Tweedy + whomever / CCR = John Fogerty + whomever. Granted, the CCR lineup didn't change, but did they bring anything to the table that a Fogerty backup band wouldn't? Maybe, I'm a casual CCR fan, but don't know much about the dynamics before the bitter breakup.

Will be a big deal financially. Musically, probably not as much.

This.

CCR would fill much bigger venues than either Fogerty solo or CCRevisited. I'd happily go see John with his band if he came by me, but it'd feel more real if it was John with the rest of CCR. But you're right, the rest of CCR isn't the part that's impossible to imitate, so it's not a huge deal really.

Either way, his quote doesn't sound all the optimistic at all. "It kind of suggests that at least if someone started talking I'd sit still long enough to listen" is vague in so many ways.

I have to disagree. Whatever people John gets to play with him can't hold a candle to Doug and Stu (Tom R.I.P.). The same as whatever John imitator Stu and Doug hire can not replace John. The magic is not in what is being played, but rather, in what is not being played. I'd love to see John, Stu, and Doug play together. CCR has been one of my favorite bands since I was a little kid.

I have to disagree. Whatever people John gets to play with him can't hold a candle to Doug and Stu (Tom R.I.P.). The same as whatever John imitator Stu and Doug hire can not replace John. The magic is not in what is being played, but rather, in what is not being played. I'd love to see John, Stu, and Doug play together. CCR has been one of my favorite bands since I was a little kid.

yeah, they're one of those bands that are almost too good.

I would disagree as well. Listen to Fortunate Son on CCR's 1970 Oakland Concert album and then listen to Fortunate Son as covered (live) by Bob Seger. I know you'll probably say is unfair to compare a band doing one of their own as opposed to someone covering the same song live, but I distinctly remember my jaw dropping with disgust when driving to work one morning and hearing Bob Seger's version on the radio. Just the difference alone in the drumming by Doug Clifford as opposed to the Silver Bullet's drummer was enough to make you cringe. I just guess I feel it's a good example of the musical difference you would hear between a full blown CCR reunion and seeing John Fogerty with a back-up band.

Saw John Fogerty a few years ago and he had an awesome band. I've never seen Credence Clearwater Revisited. Tom had quit the band by the time they recorded their best album Pendulum and then when Doug and Stu got creative control Mardi Gras happened. I'm just saying they didn't seem to be like AC/DC or the Stones in the way there input balanced out. Anyway hope that John keeps putting out music, if its with Doug and Stu that would be fine by me. The have my permission.

exactly... CCR was the first english music i heard when i was 4 years old, thanks to my dad before i learned english at school. i used to tell him to play that "i see" song. i first picked up a guitar thanks to fogerty. i met him in 2005 and told him this, and if he gets back with doug & stu, it'll mean a lot to lots of people. he still has it in him as a frontman

exactly... CCR was the first english music i heard when i was 4 years old, thanks to my dad before i learned english at school. i used to tell him to play that "i see" song. i first picked up a guitar thanks to fogerty. i met him in 2005 and told him this, and if he gets back with doug & stu, it'll mean a lot to lots of people. he still has it in him as a frontman

I'd go see them if I had the chance.

My memory is of my Dad listening to the Cosmo's Factory album. He bought it when it came out. I still have that album.

• 1 year later...

For readers of reddit, John Fogerty was on today doing an AMA.  He gives some pretty thoughtful and thorough answers.  

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1fa3ed/i_am_john_fogerty_singer_songwriter_and_former/

I thought he did a great job with that.   Too often, people who do those AMAs (ask me anything) give flippant answers and act like dicks.  Dave Grohl comes to mind as a recent example.

As long as it's a quartet with the three surviving members this sounds cool. I DON'T wanna see a dozen people up there onstage.