General Consensus on Wilco (The Album)

Here we go again. Every time I come back to this site the majority of the posters are ripping WTA. The band has set the bar so high that it's not enough to make a merely "good" album of catchy pop tunes -- and that's what it is, no more or less. Of course it wasn't an era-defining masterpiece like YHT -- no one hits a home run every time out. But it compares favorably to AM and SBS, I think.

I get particularly sick of people looking down their noses at "You and I" and WTS, as if just anybody could write a sweet, breezy pop tune like that. I love Tweedy for his ability to write in all genres and moods, and I absolutely love those songs.

Also, while I'm playing the apologist, I'm not on board with the R.E.M.-hate either. "Uberlin," "It Happened Today," and "That Someone is You" are f*ing great songs; I hope we haven't heard the last of them now that their contract is up.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

it's not enough to make a merely "good" album of catchy pop tunes -- and that's what it is, no more or less.

I don't think they're particularly catchy, and I don't think a lot of other people do, either. "Forgetable" is a word that gets tossed around a lot re: W(TA) for a reason.

I like WTA better than SBS. Not that it's a fantastic album, but it has elements of the Wilco catalogue that I like, whereas almost every song on SBS has major aspects of the newer Wilco that I just don't much like...

hmmm, do you include Impossible Germany in your dislike of SBS, or is that subsumed within the "almost"???

Also, while I'm playing the apologist, I'm not on board with the R.E.M.-hate either. "Uberlin," "It Happened Today," and "That Someone is You" are f*ing great songs; I hope we haven't heard the last of them now that their contract is up.

Agreed. After years of thoroughly disappointing releases, I think Collapse Into Now is a return to the form of what made R.E.M. a great band. I've played this over and over, and I think it holds up well when played right along all those great albums of earlier in the life of this band. A band that had a run of like 5-7 straight releases (I can't get the number off the top of my head) of great music.

Guest Speed Racer

I'd put it up against any of Brian Henneman's guitar fills on the entire A.M. record.

You'd put a four-note arpeggio(ish fill) up against That's Not The Issue? Wow.

I lost interest in this album after a few listens. There are a handful of songs (Country Disappeared and Solitaire are the only two that I can actually think of) that I thought were good. All the rest seemed like they were just trying to hard to create a "Wilco" song. I still enjoy them live. I'm hoping the new album will renew my faith.

And nothing on the album was as good as Leave Me Like You Found Me.

how do you pronounce your last name?

very carefully and slowly ..It's an abbreviation of the State I live in

That information pertained to the above dialog in what way?

ok now on with the Show

Lighten up See you at the Boston Show.......

I also can't believe there isn't more love for "Deeper Down." What a breathtaking song that is -- great contributions there from Pat and Nels plus great lyrics and singing from Jeff. I mean, is this a Wilco fansite or not? I'm seeing more snark than love for the band here.

Granted, on some level I do understand the current apathy for the previous album. It obviously wasn't their best, it's a couple of years old, and we're all breathless with anticipation that the new one will put the previous couple to shame. Maybe that will be the case, but I refuse to throw WTA under the bus.