General Consensus on Wilco (The Album)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

Is General Consensus a relative of General Error?

Jeff is the one that encourages it.

Jeff also encouraged Leave Me Like You Found Me, and wiggled his belly with a cigarette dangling out of the mouth of a crudely drawn face. Just because a man makes a few good decisions in his lifetime doesn't mean he's right all the time.

One way I played the album and wound up liking the sequencing better was swapping Deeper Down with I'll Fight.

(cue typical VC remark about not swapping any songs from other albums into the mix.)

I enjoy this album a bit more than Sky Blue Sky. I don't need to rock with my c out, but to me Sky Blue Sky (sorry, every time I see SBS I think of Sunday Bloody Sunday) seems to have too many songs of the same flavor, but cooked with different ingredients. I love Either Way, Sky Blue Sky, Please Be Patient With Me, What Light and On & On & On, but to hear them all on one album seems like too much. It's a great album to cherry pick from on my iPod. It's probably the only one that I skip around on.

One way I played the album and wound up liking the sequencing better was swapping Deeper Down with I'll Fight.

(cue typical VC remark about not swapping any songs from other albums into the mix.)

Aren't those both on the same album?

Wilco the album:

Deeper Down, Bullblack Nova, You and I, Solitaire, I'll Fight, One Wing..... all solid to me.

The rest..... all enjoyable but not nearly as engaging.

There are some great lyrics on the record, I'm not sure if any of them are on Sonny Feeling, but if I have to hear a fun rocker I'll take it over You Never Know.

This is exactly what I don't like about it.

I'm with you on this one. It drives me nuts that Jeff encourages the singalong on Jesus Etc. It may well be the emotional core of YHF and is just too good a song to use as a throwaway

Guest Speed Racer

Never understood the hate for that song but that answer cleared it up for me. Thanks.

Well, it's the aural equivalent of stepping into an elevator at JC Penney listening to some mother-in-law warbling, "Oh, don't mind me, I'm fine right here in housewares while you head off to the juniors, even though you know how my knee gets - don't mind me!" The music is just off - the bridge, especially, is unforgivable - and the lyrics are immature without being interesting in anyway whatsoever.

But that last second of silence really brings me a sense of relief after enduring that.

Guest Speed Racer

Do you like how the lyrics are whiney and self-important, how the last stanza makes absolutely no sense in relation to the rest of the song, and how the bridge is basically, "When you're not here I smell your pillow and cry"?

Jeff has thrown some pretty awesome pity-parties in his time (IATTBYH, for instance), but this one he should have attended alone.

There's some weird woman on a Wilco forum that never shuts up about how she hates this song. I wish she would shut up.

Wilco362 2 months ago

The above is the comments on the YouTube video of Leave Me Like You Found Me - I just thought it was funny.

The song is not one of my favorites.

Guest Speed Racer

Oh that is too funny. At least they didn't call me a dude like everyone else; I consider that a shining victory for mankind.

Why not 365, I wonder? I mean, outside of the obvious joke of the coma-inducing LMLYFM...

Guest Speed Racer

With regard to W(TA), I used to find it offensive, and now I just don't find it anything. I'll listen to W(TS) and Sonny Feeling occasionally, but I think the rest is utterly forgettable. I've stopped actively hating that stupid organ riff in Solitaire, but the song still doesn't grab me. And I maintain that One Wing is a weak homage to U2.

Guest Speed Racer

The above is the comments on the YouTube video of Leave Me Like You Found Me - I just thought it was funny.

The song is not one of my favorites.

Hey, you left off the best part!

@Wilco362 Sounds like a bitch who wouldn't know a good band if it smacked her in the face

Interesting Conversation Topic ; Microscopically Reviewing an Album that is still quite young...

Specifically only 2 yrs You are welcome to comment review ect such a fresh rendering ,

In my opinion it is unfair to stack WTA against anything that has had the time to ferment in your mind like YHF or even Kicking Television..

I like the ALbum but,

What do you say lets do this again in 3 more years perhaps you might even lighten up or not...

Interesting Conversation Topic ; Microscopically Reviewing an Album that is still quite young...

Specifically only 2 yrs You are welcome to comment review ect such a fresh rendering ,

In my opinion it is unfair to stack WTA against anything that has had the time to ferment in your mind like YHF or even Kicking Television..

I like the ALbum but,

What do you say lets do this again in 3 more years perhaps you might even lighten up or not...

Bot?

I like the ALbum but,

how do you pronounce your last name?