Don't buy tickets from scalpers

All this talk about shows selling out begs this reminder: DON'T BUY TICKETS FROM SCALPERS. Don't even bother checking StubHub just to see what they have. The only way to eliminate scalping is to stop buying from scalpers. So don't do it. And if you choose to do it, don't complain about spending insane amounts of money on them.

It seems Wilco does everything in their power to try to ensure the tickets go to their fans. You turning around and buying tickets from scalpers the day they go on sale is kind of a slap in the face to them, you know? Calm down people. As long as you keep buying from scalpers, scalpers will keep eating up tickets.

Sold out shows are never really sold out. There are always tickets to be found at face value or below. You just keep checking ticketmaster or whatever legitimate ticketing site sells them. They pop up all the time so don't panic and run to scalpers. It's ridiculous. Closer to the show date even more tickets pop up, the band releases more, the house releases more, people's plans change and real fans wind up with extras they're looking to unload. Roll up to the venue on the day off and the box office will almost always have some. Sure it's a gamble and it can be hard on your nerves but I've never known it to not work out.

For example, 4 of the 'Evening with' shows I set out for were 'sold out' and I got tickets for all of them on show day. One show was GA (thanks fan on the street for $20), and for the others I got 4th row (thanks box office), 1st row centre (thanks unsold handicapped seating) and another 1st row centre (thanks Wilco).

Of course I'd love to avoid the grief and score top seats at 10:02 and be done with it but times have changed. It sucks not having the tickets you want but supporting scalpers isn't the solution. It just adds to the problem.

Absolute desperate worst case scenario, what until 10 minutes into the show and offer a scalper half of face value. They'll take the loss, otherwise they'll be wiping their asses with those unsold tickets. Eventually they'll buy fewer and fewer.

I'm with ya, Melinda, completely. But many people aren't strongly anti-scalping and I don't think they'll ever be convinced to not buy from scalpers if they can afford it and they find it convenient. Some people want to see the show so bad, they'll pay whatever they have to. Others, like you and me, want to see the show so badly, we'll put a lot of energy into finding all those last minute face value ticket that are almost always there if you know how to find them and are willing to put in the leg work. Just two different kinds of people who'll probably never change.

If it's so easy to find last minute face tix, then why is stub hub a problem? Some people don't want to leave it until the last minute and want to lock up seats. I guess I'll never understand why, in society based on buying low and selling high, that concert tickers are the exception. Now if you want to talk about ticket agencies funneling seats to brokers, that's a different story and that should be stopped, but this whole concept that permeates that only "true fans" whatever that means, should have first crack at tickets is absurd to me.

The answer is paperless tickets. I hope Wilco management reads this. I WANT PAPERLESS TICKETS, get rid of the aftermarket problem + most, if not all of us would have tickets to the shows we want to go to at face value!

I've never bought from scalpers and I never will...I don't want to toss one dime toward supporting those bottom-dwelling slime-slurpers. Sweet Melinda's post is well stated and she backs her argument with examples from personal experience, so she obviously knows whereof she speaks.

That said though, and speaking personally, not everyone can afford to wait until the last minute to arrange tickets...there may be children to arrange a sitter for, or work schedules to be re-arranged and possibly a day (or days) off to be taken, and of course if a person is traveling to a show, those travel costs have to be considered, and are likely not recoverable if a ticket can't be found after all. So there are some tough considerations. A pox on all scalpers for their part in making the legitimate acquisition of a ticket so damned hard sometimes!

I still wouldn't ever pay a scalper...I'd just miss the show. But it's sad that it has to be this way. Maybe ticketless is the solution. I'm not up on that process, but if it would screw with the scalpers, I'm for it.

Have to agree with not paying these dirtbags. They have software that beats captcha while I have to type nsider afglave they are already in picking their seats. Fudning these morons perpetuates the douchebaggery. The software they use is offensive, and the hassle itis to get a ticket is wrong. I am sorryI willend up missing this show, and truly apeciate every effort wilco made to stop these ass clowns, Can't argue with people who are going to stub hub, Wilco is great, but wont do it myself. I owould feel cheap, like I was violating the Wilco spirit, if I suported the scum. The money they made on my purchase wouldgo ofund their next software assault on tickets, making me even ore locked out.

Guest McGuffin

It's big business and won't ever stop.

One of the good things about Stubhub, at least this year, was that you could buy Cubs tickets for below face value. Of course, if demand for tickets is high, then forget about it because they'll bend you over sideways.

All this talk about shows selling out begs this reminder: DON'T BUY TICKETS FROM SCALPERS. Don't even bother checking StubHub just to see what they have. The only way to eliminate scalping is to stop buying from scalpers. So don't do it. And if you choose to do it, don't complain about spending insane amounts of money on them.

It seems Wilco does everything in their power to try to ensure the tickets go to their fans. You turning around and buying tickets from scalpers the day they go on sale is kind of a slap in the face to them, you know? Calm down people. As long as you keep buying from scalpers, scalpers will keep eating up tickets.

Sold out shows are never really sold out. There are always tickets to be found at face value or below. You just keep checking ticketmaster or whatever legitimate ticketing site sells them. They pop up all the time so don't panic and run to scalpers. It's ridiculous. Closer to the show date even more tickets pop up, the band releases more, the house releases more, people's plans change and real fans wind up with extras they're looking to unload. Roll up to the venue on the day off and the box office will almost always have some. Sure it's a gamble and it can be hard on your nerves but I've never known it to not work out.

For example, 4 of the 'Evening with' shows I set out for were 'sold out' and I got tickets for all of them on show day. One show was GA (thanks fan on the street for $20), and for the others I got 4th row (thanks box office), 1st row centre (thanks unsold handicapped seating) and another 1st row centre (thanks Wilco).

Of course I'd love to avoid the grief and score top seats at 10:02 and be done with it but times have changed. It sucks not having the tickets you want but supporting scalpers isn't the solution. It just adds to the problem.

Absolute desperate worst case scenario, what until 10 minutes into the show and offer a scalper half of face value. They'll take the loss, otherwise they'll be wiping their asses with those unsold tickets. Eventually they'll buy fewer and fewer.

Agree by the way, Wilco does everything they can. They can't beat sniper sotware thatfucks over captcha, but that is why I will not bash wilco for what happened. The sniper software beat al of us, while you were typing in two captcha words the software was beating you, but that is the name of the game. Sick that I thought I was on an even plain with these assholes, as I am sure you are, but as gth pm I got said buy our software or pay our prices. Was pissed.

Have been amazingly lucky in the past, but not always. Did not get into the Kicking Television although hanging with Mr. Powell in the truck was amazing!

Hate to think about paying a scalper, guess it is cause I am always so broke... But hate to not have tickets too. Guess though it is payback for all the free festivals and times I walked up to the door, bought tickets and hung out in the first row :). will just keep trying, maybe Terri or Linn has a ticket for me. Maybe my prayers will be answered again...