Wilco 9-25-11 Merriweather Post Pavillion, Columbia, MD

This was my seventh show - first one at Merriweather Post Pavilion. I actually thought the crowd (from my perspective at row N of center-left) was a bunch of duds. I mean, what's with these people? The greatest live band (currently) and they can't get excited!

I'd say that all but one of the tunes from The Whole Love sounded pretty much like the studio version, which is fine and to be expected, except for Born Alone. Born Alone had something extra special :)

Other than the crowd, the whole show seemed a bit short. Weird...

I guess that next time, if my only chance to see them is to sit in the pavilion at MPP, I'll seriously consider driving several hours for a different venue, like the Baltimore Lyric, the Wilmington Grand, or the Philly Electric Factory.

Like others, loved the poster.

There were some differences in the group I went with but I loved Art of Almost. Just a huge, elemental song. In the pit upfront you could feel the bass just rumble through you. Very cool. I do wonder if it would be better as the last song before the encore.

A very different song was One Sunday Morning. A lovely, beautiful song that the band extended into 13 minutes (according to a friend of mine, your mileage may vary). I could see it becoming a regular in the set list for the next several years.

This was my seventh show - first one at Merriweather Post Pavilion. I actually thought the crowd (from my perspective at row N of center-left) was a bunch of duds. I mean, what's with these people? The greatest live band (currently) and they can't get excited!

I'm surprised at this comment and you're not the only one who has said the crowd was lame. Where I was sitting (standing), the crowd was on their feet for nearly the entire show. There was some sitting early on in one of the slow songs but for the most part everyone in my entire slice of the pavillion was up and dancing and rocking out.

I was pretty disappointed with the setlist, tbh. Recent shows hadn't had songs like Drummer or Man Who Loves You, but last night's did. I think the NPR broadcast kinda pressured them to play more of the hits, which was a bit unfortunate. I was hopping they'd bring out some more rare songs, though Box Full of Letters was a nice surprise.

Still, great show. Monday->Outtasite is just the best way to end a set.

Also not crazy about the setlist. I would have (happily) sacrificed Bull Black Nova or Impossible Germany for more tunes off AGIB. And the really long ones do eat up the night... but Almost and One Sunday Morning were both amazing. Last night was the second time I saw Wilco at Merriweather and I don't like the sound there. It's not loud and crisp enough... more muted and fuzzy.

Here's the review from the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/click-track/post/in-concert-wilco-at-merriweather-post-pavilion/2011/09/26/gIQAbbqyzK_blog.html

Best line: "The guitar solo is always stepping aside to make way for a glockenspiel interlude." I don't agree with it but it made me chuckle.

In concert: Wilco at Merriweather Post Pavilion

By Aaron Leitko

STwilco08_1317039300.jpg?uuid=UacSWug5EeCmR0ndefO2sw

Jeff Tweedy led Wilco through two hours of tunes at Merriweather Post Pavilion on Sunday. (All photos by Kyle Gustafson/FTWP) During the mid-’90s, Wilco wrote songs for the megadome but played in mid-size clubs. Nearly two decades later, the group regularly packs concert halls, but its music has taken a cerebral spin. Today’s Wilco fans fist-pump to radio static.

Sunday night at Merriweather Post Pavilion, the Chicago-based sextet, lead by singer-songwriter Jeff Tweedy, played a two-hour set, heavy on tunes from its latest record, “The Whole Love.”

In its original incarnation, Wilco was unafraid to rock out state-fair-style, playing a traditionalist take on roots rock, replete with power chords and wonky solos. But by the turn of the century, the group had outgrown Americana. On ’02s “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot,” Wilco went weird, reinventing itself as a bleeping and blooping take on folk-rock that owed as much to AOL modem noise as it did Woody Guthrie.

“The Whole Love,” the band’s eighth record, follows in that spirit. Its opening song, “The Art of Almost,” which kicked off Sunday’s set, is built around pummeling rhythms and spaced-out squiggles, courtesy of lead guitarist Nels Cline. No acoustic guitars necessary. Getting weird has, somehow, only strengthened Wilco’s appeal.

At least, for some fans. Each new Wilco record is accompanied by a bit of grousing by those who miss the old days, whenever they may have been. When “A Ghost is Born” came out, fans yearned for the dizzy textures of “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.” When that record came out, old-time loyalists dubbed the Beach Boys-style pop of “Summerteeth” the band’s golden era. When the Wilco’s debut album, “A.M.,” arrived in ’95, people pined for Tweedy’s defunct alt-country band, Uncle Tupelo.

STwilco01_1317039660.jpg?uuid=B2zWzug6EeCmR0ndefO2sw

But now, there’s justifiable reason to yearn for the Wilco of yesteryear. The band’s early work channeled reckless energy into a proven shtick. Now a sextet with a stage full of synthesizers and electronic do-dads, Wilco has lost a bit of that spontaneity. The arrangements on “The Whole Love” are dense and carefully constructed, sometimes to the point of preciousness. The guitar solo is always stepping aside to make way for a glockenspiel interlude.

Live, Wilco still lets its freak-flag fly, though. The band regularly pushed strummy alt-rock tunes, like “Born Alone” and “Shot in the Arm” into noisy atonal crescendos. Cline, a veteran underground jazz musician, hammered the bridge of his guitar with a metal bar, pounding life into mid-tempo rock tunes. But some of the old-time intimacy has disappeared. Part of Tweedy’s success as a songwriter came from his willingness to take risks, both in the music and the lyrics. His songs were fraught with uncomfortable disclosures and moral ambiguity. Nowadays, he’s in better spirits and his songwriting has shifted in a more clever, Randy Newman-esque direction.

Even if they’ve drifted far from their roots, Wilco does not hide from its back catalog. Near the end of the set, the band broke out the oldies — straightforward and sing-alongable rockers such as “Monday” and “Box Full of Letters.” It turns out, people still wave lighters to those, too.STwilco06_1317039480.jpg?uuid=849bzOg5EeCmR0ndefO2sw

var entrycat = ' In concert'

By Aaron Leitko | 05:42 PM ET, 09/26/2011

I've been to many Wilco shows all over the country. I thought last night's show was great (though I've yet to see a Wilco show that wasn't damn good). It wasn't Sloss Furnace or Kicking Television type shows, but great. The new songs were cool to hear live. I really can't complain about anything regarding Wilco this night. The Nick Lowe song was bitchin'.

What the hell is wrong with people not only sitting during the concert, but yelling at me to sit down? It was my wife's 30th bday. I spent way to much money to get us the best spot in the house (1st row above the pit, center). As soon as the concert started we stood to great the band and enjoy the music. People starting yelling "sit down", etc. We turned once and told them it's a rock n roll concert and we're not sitting down (especailly after you yell at us). Sure, we're tall, but I'm not sitting down. Sidenote, I doubt anybody rocked out harder than we did during the entire show (imagine a dancing human bobble head). Everyone back and to the right of us stood up. Almost eveyone to the left sat most of the evening. During the show, some girl tried to come stand in front of my wife and I using us standing as an excuse to stand in front of us. We just told her to get out of our spot. Afterwards, her ( i think it was her) and her girlfriend went out of there way to stop by to tell us that we were "jackasses" from standing and dancing the entire night and that we ruined their show. I told them I'm sure Tweedy enjoyed us dancing rather than sitting (it did appear the band was smiling and jamming our way most of the night). They then proceeded to show off their backstage passes and acted like they know better. Really? No fricking way. Not the impression I've got when meeting the band or any rock band for that matter.

If I can't stand/dance because I'm tall or I'm in the front row, when and where can I stand or dance? Who makes the decison as to what song is worthy of my respect and which songs aren't? Do venues or bands need a conductor type to let you know when it's fair game to dance and when you must sit? Or, should there be a percenage I have to look for before standing. Like, I can't start the trend myself but I have to sit until say 50% stand? 70%? 80%? Maybe they should seat people in order of height which would put me at the back fence on the lawn. ??

ughhhh.... is it the new fans that are drinking the retard, fascist kool aid or what? It was a little wierd with the teeny boppers at Wolf Trapp two years ago, but a majority of last nights crowd was lame.

Like others, loved the poster.

There were some differences in the group I went with but I loved Art of Almost. Just a huge, elemental song. In the pit upfront you could feel the bass just rumble through you. Very cool. I do wonder if it would be better as the last song before the encore.

A very different song was One Sunday Morning. A lovely, beautiful song that the band extended into 13 minutes (according to a friend of mine, your mileage may vary). I could see it becoming a regular in the set list for the next several years.

13 minutes!

that's about a minute longer than the recorded version... phew! (sorry ;) )

and 36 Inches High!

of all the fantastic Nick Lowe songs, that would be about... errrmmm... last on the list

(sarcasm mode this morning... don't ask)

13 minutes!

that's about a minute longer than the recorded version... phew! (sorry ;) )

Fair enough.

When listening to a stream online like I did a few times for this album I think I tend to forget how long (or short) a song is. Only when it is on my iPod do I notice song lengths since the times are on the screen in front of me.

I've been to many Wilco shows all over the country. I thought last night's show was great (though I've yet to see a Wilco show that wasn't damn good). It wasn't Sloss Furnace or Kicking Television type shows, but great. The new songs were cool to hear live. I really can't complain about anything regarding Wilco this night. The Nick Lowe song was bitchin'.

What the hell is wrong with people not only sitting during the concert, but yelling at me to sit down? It was my wife's 30th bday. I spent way to much money to get us the best spot in the house (1st row above the pit, center). As soon as the concert started we stood to great the band and enjoy the music. People starting yelling "sit down", etc. We turned once and told them it's a rock n roll concert and we're not sitting down (especailly after you yell at us). Sure, we're tall, but I'm not sitting down. Sidenote, I doubt anybody rocked out harder than we did during the entire show (imagine a dancing human bobble head). Everyone back and to the right of us stood up. Almost eveyone to the left sat most of the evening. During the show, some girl tried to come stand in front of my wife and I using us standing as an excuse to stand in front of us. We just told her to get out of our spot. Afterwards, her ( i think it was her) and her girlfriend went out of there way to stop by to tell us that we were "jackasses" from standing and dancing the entire night and that we ruined their show. I told them I'm sure Tweedy enjoyed us dancing rather than sitting (it did appear the band was smiling and jamming our way most of the night). They then proceeded to show off their backstage passes and acted like they know better. Really? No fricking way. Not the impression I've got when meeting the band or any rock band for that matter.

If I can't stand/dance because I'm tall or I'm in the front row, when and where can I stand or dance? Who makes the decison as to what song is worthy of my respect and which songs aren't? Do venues or bands need a conductor type to let you know when it's fair game to dance and when you must sit? Or, should there be a percenage I have to look for before standing. Like, I can't start the trend myself but I have to sit until say 50% stand? 70%? 80%? Maybe they should seat people in order of height which would put me at the back fence on the lawn. ??

ughhhh.... is it the new fans that are drinking the retard, fascist kool aid or what? It was a little wierd with the teeny boppers at Wolf Trapp two years ago, but a majority of last nights crowd was lame.

just turn around and tell them to fuck off

I was down in the pit, and I noticed that much, if not most, of the crowd in the pavilion was seated. It's weird. With the exception of One Sunday Morning, it was a pretty lively set list from top to bottom.

I might be getting too old for the pit, though. It pisses me off to get there relatively early, stand in one spot through Nick Lowe (who was quite enjoyable), and then when Wilco's about to come on, get some jerks push past me to stand up front, and/or right in what used to be my personal space. I don't know if concerts bring out the worst in people, or just the worst people come to concerts, but it gets old quick.

I was down in the pit, and I noticed that much, if not most, of the crowd in the pavilion was seated. It's weird. With the exception of One Sunday Morning, it was a pretty lively set list from top to bottom.

I might be getting too old for the pit, though. It pisses me off to get there relatively early, stand in one spot through Nick Lowe (who was quite enjoyable), and then when Wilco's about to come on, get some jerks push past me to stand up front, and/or right in what used to be my personal space. I don't know if concerts bring out the worst in people, or just the worst people come to concerts, but it gets old quick.

Agreed, I might be done with the pit.. Too many people yapping around me.. What is so f'n important they you have to chatter throughout the show? And then the two fools smokin' next to me and then stumblin' around afterwards.. Is this Phish or Wilco?

This was my 21st Wilco show and it was by far the worst crowd I've ever been in. I was in the fourth row of the center section where kavorka and his friends were standing and having a blast but being really polite to everybody around them, too. They weren't bumping into people or taking up more space than just in front of their seats or anything like that. People were irate that they wouldn't sit and were yelling some really awful things. I was appalled, especially when people started tossing empty water bottles and beer cups. That's so not how Wilco shows usually are, and I felt awful for them that they were being hassled for just having a good time.

It killed me to sit for the first half of the show, but there was this really obnoxious guy behind me who just kept getting more and more furious that he couldn't see. My boyfriend was paying more attention to him than to the show because he was afraid he was going to snap and go after somebody. He kept yelling at anyone standing, even during the songs, and that was making another guy up the aisle from us yell whenever he wanted to, too. Finally, I turned around and went off on him. I didn't drive six hours to have some blowhard yelling right in my ear. He said he couldn't see the stage at all, and I said, "Then stand up instead of sitting there being a dick and ruining the night for everybody around you." He shut up for a few songs, but when he started up again, I turned around and glared at him. Much to my surprise, he and his wife left after "Handshake Drugs." My boyfriend and I stood up then, and before too much longer, almost everybody around us was standing, including some people who'd been especially rude earlier. And you know what? They all sure looked like they were having a good time dancing during the encore. Imagine that!

And kavorka, if those women who yelled at you after the show were in black dresses, I don't think you ruined their evening too much, considering they spent more time going back and forth to get more drinks than they did actually at their seats. You guys were right in front of me, and you didn't ruin my night--in fact, I was glad to see you and the family in the row behind you having so much fun! I have no doubt that's what the band wants to see.

Since the dawn of time, once bands move beyond small clubs, general admission has always brotught out the worst in people. I have said those very words many times. It's sad, but true. I damn near came to fisticuffs at Guided By Voices' last show a couple of weeks ago because of people showing up extremely late and pushing, big time, with some bizarre sense of entitlement. Meanwhile, I quite enjoyed my reserved seat at Wilco tonight in Raleigh. Oh, and everyone stood (not that I think one can't enjoy the hell out of show by sitting - one has to kind of go with the flow on that).

Venue - 7 (Been there before, not my favorite, but pretty good)

Set List - 4 (Wilco must have 200 Great Songs to choose from, Too bad they only play the same 20 on this tour, certainly not a tour where I would want to see multiple shows)

Sound - 10 (They sound amazing. The band is really tight and hitting every note with energy and enthusiasim. However, I guess if you play the same 20 songs every other night you should be spot on)

Crowd - 2 (If you want to sit on your hands and show no energy during a rock concert that is fine, but don't be pissed at the people who want to get off their ass and move)

This was my fifth time seeing the band. I certainly enjoyed the show - how can you not enjoy seeing Wilco - but it wasn't my favorite.

The difference between this and the other tours I have seen (all between 2005 and 2009) was that this seemed to have far fewer songs off Yankee and Ghost. I don't think that is a bad thing at all, but part of the reason the crowd wasn't as into the show might have been being unfamiliar with the new songs, particularly when you start off with three new ones (although Art of Almost may have been my favorite song all night). And after that, the show seemed to be a bit all over the place and lacked flow. For example, after opening with three new ones, the crowd got into a tizzy hearing the opening of I Am Trying to Break Your Heart. That energy transferred to One Wing and then a stellar Bull Black Nova. The crowd seemed really into it (I was in the pit on Nils side) and then...One Sunday Morning completely took the life out of the place. It isn't only that it is such a long song, it just didn't fit the progression of the previous three.

Other random thoughts: It is worth mentioning twice how amazing Art of Almost is live and I also really liked Born Alone. I have always enjoyed Via Chicago, but it seems so much more powerful now than previous tours. Getting to see Nick Lowe was a treat and I'm the Man Who Loves You > Monday > Outtasite is a great way to end a show. The stage setup and lights were tremendous. At one point it looked like Tweedy deviated from the seltlist - I can't remember when, but after one song he made a point of walking around and saying something to everyone. I also think that during one song there appeared to be a light effect of a large bird flying on stage - maybe the deviation was to remove Hummingbird in favor of something else and the crew couldn't change the lights.

Overall I would say the band executes each song really well and it was a good show, but there were a couple of lulls.

This was my 21st Wilco show and it was by far the worst crowd I've ever been in. I was in the fourth row of the center section where kavorka and his friends were standing and having a blast but being really polite to everybody around them, too. They weren't bumping into people or taking up more space than just in front of their seats or anything like that. People were irate that they wouldn't sit and were yelling some really awful things. I was appalled, especially when people started tossing empty water bottles and beer cups. That's so not how Wilco shows usually are, and I felt awful for them that they were being hassled for just having a good time.

It killed me to sit for the first half of the show, but there was this really obnoxious guy behind me who just kept getting more and more furious that he couldn't see. My boyfriend was paying more attention to him than to the show because he was afraid he was going to snap and go after somebody. He kept yelling at anyone standing, even during the songs, and that was making another guy up the aisle from us yell whenever he wanted to, too. Finally, I turned around and went off on him. I didn't drive six hours to have some blowhard yelling right in my ear. He said he couldn't see the stage at all, and I said, "Then stand up instead of sitting there being a dick and ruining the night for everybody around you." He shut up for a few songs, but when he started up again, I turned around and glared at him. Much to my surprise, he and his wife left after "Handshake Drugs." My boyfriend and I stood up then, and before too much longer, almost everybody around us was standing, including some people who'd been especially rude earlier. And you know what? They all sure looked like they were having a good time dancing during the encore. Imagine that!

And kavorka, if those women who yelled at you after the show were in black dresses, I don't think you ruined their evening too much, considering they spent more time going back and forth to get more drinks than they did actually at their seats. You guys were right in front of me, and you didn't ruin my night--in fact, I was glad to see you and the family in the row behind you having so much fun! I have no doubt that's what the band wants to see.

Thank you so much for this post. Though I know I was in the right, the whole situation really ate at us for a day or two, especially my wife. She doesn't do message boards, and made fun of me for posting (called me a geek). I knew either those two girls or someone near our section had to see what was happening. This helps validate how we felt about the situation. I'm sorry you had a rough time with some of those people. Part of the problem is the season ticket holders at Merryweather, but those two girls were not season ticket holders. yada yada

I know someone posted to turn around and tell them to "f$%k off", but that's a terrible way to start a Wilco show any night, let alone on my wife's Bday with her brother and wife standing with us as well. I've been that guy, it doesn't always end well. I just hoped expressing my love of their music (by dancing or rocking without moving out of my seat) would squelch the problem. *shrugs shoulders*

This is the first time I've experienced this issue at a Wilco show. I think it's more the venue than a few real fans. I apologize from anyone out of state. Most Maryland/DC venues aren't like this.