Additional Songs from Deluxe Version

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Love My Label cover is the best of that bunch...

If that's the case, the rest must not be very good.. :hmm

I Love My Label is a decent tune, but just kind of corny and cliche.. Some cool instrumental stuff going on though, especially by Glen if I recall correctly.

I think Message From Mid Bar is another slow John Lennon sounding song which is ok by me, but I'd like some rockers if you know what I mean. Speak Into The Rose sounds like something you would hear at Solid Sound Festival from one of the side projects other than Autumn Defense. If that's your bag, I'm sure you will like it. You could actually sing Spiders along with it and it fits pretty good except for the part of Spiders that is actually good which rocks the place when they play the riff part live. SITR doesn't go anywhere for me. Kind of like One Sunday Morning. Too repetitive, while you keep waiting for the song to go somewhere else. But it never does. That's why they are bonus tracks I guess. I'm sure most will disagree.

Guest McGuffin

Amazon is selling the deluxe version for 9.99. Itunes is selling it for 14.99. The only difference is that the Itunes version contains one extra bonus track.

I'll be opting for the Amazon download. Why pay a 50% premium for one extra song?

Underwhelmed overall...

I was excited about an instrumental, but Speak Into the Rose isn't quite what I was hoping for. It's good, but the synth beat sounds just like the one that Mikael uses in the latest live version of Spiders.

Mid Bar sounds like something they threw out so that the record wouldn't sound too much like alt-country.

The alt version of Black Moon is nothing interesting at all once you've heard the album version with the strings.

Amazon is selling the deluxe version for 9.99. Itunes is selling it for 14.99. The only difference is that the Itunes version contains one extra bonus track.

I'll be opting for the Amazon download. Why pay a 50% premium for one extra song?

The iTunes version, if I recall when I looked it up a few weeks ago, actually has five bonus tracks:

1. Speak into the Rose

2. Message from Mid-Bar

3. I Love my Label

4. Black Moon (alternative version)

5. Sometimes it Happens

That's the whole album + the four from the bonus disc + the one from the vinyl.

After listening to the deluxe version it make me wonder about the double album that was rumored about 6 months ago. Clearly there is the material. It sounds like it would have been more low tempo, but I am dying to know if there is an Art of Almost, I Might, Born Alone, Whole Love gem sitting on a shelf somewhere. The lack of demos, or at least my knowledge of a lack of demos, is far different from YHF. So much came out right after the album was leaked, then more when they signed, then at least four alternate versions came out. Dont see that happening here, but eagerly await hearing what was left off.

After listening to the deluxe version it make me wonder about the double album that was rumored about 6 months ago. Clearly there is the material.

a cover, a slightly alt. version of Black Moon, an instrumental and 1 more song? I don't see a double album there.

Underwhelmed overall...

I was excited about an instrumental, but Speak Into the Rose isn't quite what I was hoping for. It's good, but the synth beat sounds just like the one that Mikael uses in the latest live version of Spiders.

Mid Bar sounds like something they threw out so that the record wouldn't sound too much like alt-country.

The alt version of Black Moon is nothing interesting at all once you've heard the album version with the strings.

Underwhelmed Overall sounds like an outlet store version of Oskosh BGosh jeans.

After listening to the deluxe version it make me wonder about the double album that was rumored about 6 months ago. Clearly there is the material. It sounds like it would have been more low tempo, but I am dying to know if there is an Art of Almost, I Might, Born Alone, Whole Love gem sitting on a shelf somewhere. The lack of demos, or at least my knowledge of a lack of demos, is far different from YHF. So much came out right after the album was leaked, then more when they signed, then at least four alternate versions came out. Dont see that happening here, but eagerly await hearing what was left off.

In the NPR interview he made it sound like the songs that they finished mixing will be available in some form or another, and the songs that were just rough sketches/demo they are saving for another time.

I could see a short tour EP maybe, but I wouldn't expect another album so quickly...

Sorry, didnt mean to confuse anyone, just wondered where the talk of a double album came from ,and are there shelved gems I didn't hear. Jules is right, not enough here to fill a B side let alone an album. Just hoping that there is something they are cradling that didn't come out and that we can hear it eventually. The YHF era was championed by the master of leaks, Jim O Rourke, hoping some stuff being held back.

I think Message From Mid Bar is another slow John Lennon sounding song which is ok by me, but I'd like some rockers if you know what I mean. Speak Into The Rose sounds like something you would hear at Solid Sound Festival from one of the side projects other than Autumn Defense. If that's your bag, I'm sure you will like it. You could actually sing Spiders along with it and it fits pretty good except for the part of Spiders that is actually good which rocks the place when they play the riff part live. SITR doesn't go anywhere for me. Kind of like One Sunday Morning. Too repetitive, while you keep waiting for the song to go somewhere else. But it never does. That's why they are bonus tracks I guess. I'm sure most will disagree.

Agree. maybe not rockers but a hidden Art of Almost, Whole Love>

Man, having Sometimes It Happens follow One Sunday Morning, along with shifting the sequencing to place Whole Love before Capitol City, really fucks with my enjoyment of the vinyl. What a terrible solution to the fitting-four-sides issue. The true tracklisting is the CD version.

So, with the bonus tracks available for individual purchase, the question is, how nice is the 50 page booklet that comes with the deluxe cd version?

It's nice, but not what I thought it was gonna be. I was hoping for more in-studio pictures, maybe some liner notes. There are lyrics, instrument/production credits, a few photos, some extra artwork, but nothing I'd say is essential.

Man, having Sometimes It Happens follow One Sunday Morning, along with shifting the sequencing to place Whole Love before Capitol City, really fucks with my enjoyment of the vinyl. What a terrible solution to the fitting-four-sides issue. The true tracklisting is the CD version.

I am going to listen to my LP tonight...I'm sure it's gonna seem odd with the tracks jumbled up. Just the other week I realized that my vinyl version of My Morning Jacket's Z has a bonus track at the end after "Dondante." I've always been taking the record off the turntable right after that song and never let it play beyond that...and now the extra track kind of sours it a bit.