Let there be bass

The main thing that I notice about the new album is the mix is great. Listening back to the last 2 records, John was kind of buried. Here he shines like he has been to the McCartney school of bass. He has always been great, but they have never given him this much sound up front. This is clearly a rhythm driven album. The last 2 might not have been so bland with a mix like this one. I do think the songs on Whole Love are also a bit stronger, but through it all, Wilco is Wilco and this album is beautifully done. The Beatles influence can be heard better because the mix is great. Just listen to the bass on Open Mind. Very subtle, but also very strong and gives it a Beatles feel for me. My only complaint about the album is I could do without the pedal steel guitar on certain tracks. However, it is one of their best albums. I was beginning to lose faith.

Well Done!!

Hear, hear! I noticed it from my first listen when The Whole Love was streamed on Wilcoworld. The bass playing on this album is absolutely astounding.

absolutely.

i really think John's bass lines on a lot of the songs make the songs. I feel like SBS was Nel's time to shine, and TWL is John's, so to speak

The bass is more prominent in the mix on this one, but John's bass playing has always been superb.

• 8 months later...

I searched and searched, but this thread was the closest I could find to an Official John Stirratt Appreciation thread. The photo of John doing a rock star jump on the front page of Wilcoworld.net is utterly fantastic! Move over, DLR!

Edit: Fixed the error in the spelling of John's last name. The spelling police around here are hardcore!

I searched and searched, but this thread was the closest I could find to an Official John Stirrat Appreciation thread. The photo of John doing a rock star jump on the front page of Wilcoworld.net is utterly fantastic! Move over, DLR!

I'm sure somebody would point this out if I didn't—and I'm not trying to be a jackass here—but if we're going to have an Official John Stirratt Appreciation thread, we should probably make sure to spell his name right. So once and for all...two Rs and two Ts! :thumbup

I remember at one of the Tipitina's shows back in '08 in that were filmed for the Ashes DVD, some guys had yellow T-shirts made that said "John Stirot's Fan Club" or something like that. Maybe they had signs, too. But during the show, one of them held a sign or shirt up and Jeff kindly pointed out that if they really wanted to form a fan club, they should probably at least learn to spell the honoree's name right... :ermm

I have always respected John's bass playing abilities but he never really knocked my socks off like a Toby Leaman from Dr. Dog or anything.. However, I gained a new respect for him after TWL.... He must have eaten his Wheaties or something. Excellent..

• 1 month later...