Vic Theatre Show Added

Based on my experience I'd say it sold out in less than a minute.

Super Fans: Is it really necessary for you to buy tickets to EVERY Chicago show? I think their goal in adding more shows has been to afford more Chicagoans the chance to see them, not to make it possible for obsessives to see them three times in one week.

that's possible, but then how do you explain the 5 "Residency" shows @ the Riv.? Surely they know that their die hard fans never get tired of seeing them here in Chicago, and it's only natural they would try to give "em what they want...more Wilco!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kinda reminds me when Dylan played the Aragon, Riviera, Vic, then the Park West over four nights in 2004. Of course he did it in March (when it was warm).

At the height of John Hiatt mania here in Chicago (early-mid 90s, same time BoDeans, Smithereens and Poi Dog mania was happening), he did the "Incredible Shrinking Tour" and ended up at Schubas the last night.

BTW, got my two. Excited...

Super Fans: Is it really necessary for you to buy tickets to EVERY Chicago show? I think their goal in adding more shows has been to afford more Chicagoans the chance to see them, not to make it possible for obsessives to see them three times in one week.

If this is what the band wanted, they'd play the shows at larger venues instead of shrinking them. The band just wants the people in front of them to have a great time.

Actually, the best way to ensure as many different people as possible see the shows would be putting them all on sale at the same time. For future reference!

absolutely. it's actually kind of messed up how they did it. instead of presenting all the shows at once so people can choose they do them one at a time. They are playing all the shows in the middle of the week, which means that people have work and it's a bit of a mess anyways. However if I got tickets for the Monday show since that was the only one, I'd be kind of upset if they add a saturday show, because I would have chose that from the get-go so I wouldn't have to deal with the work issues.

Surely they knew these shows would sell out, they are small places, it couldn't have been a surprise

And yet, there are those of us in the Chicago area who don't travel long distances and who haven't seen them since the UIC Pavillion shows several years ago and would LIKE to see them multiple times. Also, I'm one of the unlucky souls that got shut out of the Opera House but got a second chance with the two shows announced since. Granted, I'm about 90 miles from Chicago North (Milwaukee) and nabbed two for that as well.

Guest McGuffin

It is absolutely absurd to give us die hard fans any grief for going to multiple shows. I can't even understand your logic JDK. When they added a second UIC show night two was empty.

Incorrect. Night two wasn't "empty," but there was open space upstairs. The other poster makes a good point, actually. These new shows sold out very quickly. If you were there right at 10 a.m., you were shut out.

Come to think of it, perhaps this was smart on wilco's part.

i mean, throw three chicago shows on ticketmaster with the same on sale date and a larger number of different people have a chance to get a seat, but there's a greater chance that it might not sell out.

however, have three shows, announce and sell them all on separate dates and it gives an individual an infinitely better chance of getting tickets to all three nights

Oh, I'm definitely glad they didn't put them all on sale at the same time! I'm just saying that's the best way to make sure different people are at each show, if that were the priority. I have a feeling that marketing/selling tickets, and ensuring that everyone who wants a ticket to each of these shows is on equal footing for each ticket sale, was more of a priority. Remember, they sold a 5-night pass for the residency.

I'm psyched to see Wilco at the Vic again.

I think Wilco is doing this to do something different and keep an element of mystery in the process. Playing 2 nights at UIC was sterile. Five nights in a row at the same venue -- yawn. But multiple 3 nights at 3 different venues, all with different capacities, that's cool. I bet they'll broadcast one of the shows on WXRT, tool.

Yes it is necessary. Or, you need to re-take Economics. Or something.

I think Wilco is doing this to do something different and keep an element of mystery in the process. Playing 2 nights at UIC was sterile. Five nights in a row at the same venue -- yawn. But multiple 3 nights at 3 different venues, all with different capacities, that's cool. I bet they'll broadcast one of the shows on WXRT, tool.

i have no problem playing 3 different venues in three nights, my problem is why they didn't announce them all at the same time? Anyone could have predicted the first show selling out like that, so they could have lined this all up beforehand

To me, it's a sign your life is waaaaaay too boring if the top of your nag list is how Wilco announces hometown shows.

Yeah, well life tends to get a little boring when you grow up and work full time and have responsibilities, so i'm glad you're life is a thrill a minute

i have no problem playing 3 different venues in three nights, my problem is why they didn't announce them all at the same time? Anyone could have predicted the first show selling out like that, so they could have lined this all up beforehand

Don't you think they did line them up beforehand? Revealing them one-by-one is much more fun.

Don't you think they did line them up beforehand? Revealing them one-by-one is much more fun.

i mean, i guess it is more fun, but I guess it just sucks for me and my friends. We live about 40 miles North of the city and we don't get off work till 6, so making it to the venue in time is tough, let alone having to be up at 6 in the morning the next day. When the only show was announced we thought about taking a day off work, since that would be are only chance to see them in Chicago. Then they start putting out more shows that would have been more convenient to go to, but we already planned and took off work when if we knew they'd play more shows we wouldn't have to do that.

I know it's a petty complaint, but when you work and live where we do, it would be helpful to know when they are playing so we can plan accordingly. As is, with only one show listed before, we thought that would be it, no way of knowing they'd go the "fun" route and play around like that

i mean, i guess it is more fun, but I guess it just sucks for me and my friends. We live about 40 miles North of the city and we don't get off work till 6, so making it to the venue in time is tough, let alone having to be up at 6 in the morning the next day. When the only show was announced we thought about taking a day off work, since that would be are only chance to see them in Chicago. Then they start putting out more shows that would have been more convenient to go to, but we already planned and took off work when if we knew they'd play more shows we wouldn't have to do that.

I know it's a petty complaint, but when you work and live where we do, it would be helpful to know when they are playing so we can plan accordingly. As is, with only one show listed before, we thought that would be it, no way of knowing they'd go the "fun" route and play around like that

What if you'd waited but ended up getting shut out of the other show? The bird in your hand is worth more than two in the bush... Be happy with the bird already in your hand, a lot of people weren't able to get tickets to any of the shows.