Vic Theatre Show Added

What if you'd waited but ended up getting shut out of the other show? The bird in your hand is worth more than two in the bush... Be happy with the bird already in your hand, a lot of people weren't able to get tickets to any of the shows.

I know, that's what I'm saying. Originally, there was no reason to wait. They announced the tour, there was one chicago show. If they knew they were going to add more, then i don't agree with the bands tactics. It's not so "fun" when people need to plan with work for middle of the week shows.

If they were added after the fact then that's fine, nothing you can do, but as one poster said, it was "fun" eh, not so much, more annoying for the working fan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this has kept them in the Chicago media for three weeks. Pretty good PR strategy. Can't wait to see if the fun continues.

Well Wilco is becoming quite media savvy, so I credit them for that I suppose

absolutely. it's actually kind of messed up how they did it. instead of presenting all the shows at once so people can choose they do them one at a time. They are playing all the shows in the middle of the week, which means that people have work and it's a bit of a mess anyways. However if I got tickets for the Monday show since that was the only one, I'd be kind of upset if they add a saturday show, because I would have chose that from the get-go so I wouldn't have to deal with the work issues.

Surely they knew these shows would sell out, they are small places, it couldn't have been a surprise

I believe at least two of these are XRT concerts for the kids -- bring an unwrapped toy. These shows are not planned (or at least announced) that far in advance.

What this thread is turning into represents everything I've come to really hate about this site and why I hardly ever post here anymore. Wilco is playing a handful of hometown shows at a variety of venues smallish venues, and some people are still managing to find a way to complain about them. I'm pretty sure the band could play free shows in every venue in town and some people would still find something negative to say.

I wish I could come out for any of these shows, but I can't take time off from my teaching job at that point in the semester. Instead of complaining about it, I'm just going to be glad for the people who can go.

I think part of the problem too, is that people take any criticism towards the band personally. If you want this entire site to be pro-wilco and have everything they do be perfect, that's fine, but I enjoy forums because people can voice their opinions, positive or negative and they can be discussed. I'm not pissed at the band, I'm not fuming at my computer, I'm simply stating that it could be frustrating for people who planned for that one show, when a day later they announced more dates in chicago.

It makes no sense to camplain about "super-fans". That is not the issue. Tickets have become a mafia economy. It sucks, but that's the reality.

In my town, $47 tickets are being sold online from between $130 and $202 a piece. Times 4 tickets that's pretty nice profit for a minute of work.

Listened to Kicking Television yesterday, man that was a helluva week of shows. Anyone hear of rumblings for a 4th Chicago show yet? Eagerly awaiting...

Just heard on XRT.... Lin Brehmer will have a very special announcement regarding Wilco tomorrow morning. "stay tuned to see what happens next in the exciting Wilco run in Chicago"

All signs point to another new venue, because Frank E. Lee made a point to mention that all 3 shows have sold-out instantly, despite being in completely different and exclusive venues.

Hmmm my guess.... Old Town School of Folk, Metro, or Park West. I just can't imagine Lincoln Hall, although it would be incredible.

Just heard on XRT.... Lin Brehmer will have a very special announcement regarding Wilco tomorrow morning. "stay tuned to see what happens next in the exciting Wilco run in Chicago"

All signs point to another new venue, because Frank E. Lee made a point to mention that all 3 shows have sold-out instantly, despite being in completely different and exclusive venues.

Hmmm my guess.... Old Town School of Folk, Metro, or Park West. I just can't imagine Lincoln Hall, although it would be incredible.

You can't imagine Lincoln Hall, but can imagine Old Town? Old Town is way smaller, isn't it? Lincoln Hall would be great, of course.

Metro seems more realistic--and perhaps appropriate--personally. I remember reading an interview with the owner of Metro a while ago--maybe around their 20th anniversary a few years back--where he was asked which band(s) he regrets not having booked there and he mentioned Wilco. Something about how they just sort of missed the boat on them as they were coming up as a band and then they were too big.

I've always found it a little weird that Wilco as a band is so associated with Chicago and has never(?) played at Metro, one of the city's most well-known clubs. Seems like that's a rite of passage for Chicago bands. I'm sure part of the reason is that Lounge Ax was still going strong when Wilco was at that level of club, though I'm pretty sure TLA was much smaller than Metro.

Assuming that the show will be Friday or Saturday following Vic,

Chicago Theater, Lincoln Hall, Cadillac Palace, Auditorium are booked both days

Friday at Metro is free but Saturday is booked

Park West, UIC, Aragon are open

Assuming that the show will be Friday or Saturday following Vic,

Chicago Theater, Lincoln Hall, Cadillac Palace, Auditorium are booked both days

Friday at Metro is free but Saturday is booked

Park West, UIC, Aragon are open

Metro it is. Friday Dec. 16th.

This is exciting for sure. Maybe Schuba's or Beat Kitchen...?

Haha, I doubt they could even fit the entire band on either of those stages! Let's be at least somewhat realistic here. I would be surprised if Saturday/Sunday isn't at Park West. It makes sense because a) it's available; B) it's another Jam Productions venue that often hosts XRT-sponsored shows, which these all seem to be; and c) because it's small, but not way too small for the band to actually be able to have their normal stage setup (production).

Of course, it'd be great if they'd play the Hideout or Lincoln Hall/Schubas but you can't realistically expect that.