Yankee Hotel Foxtrot---MY way

The thread about Being There and the subtractions that people would make thinking to make it a stronger record got me to thinking about something I tried a bit different a couple of years ago with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I took a couple of extra tracks from the Demos and Engineer's demos and added them into a Yankee Hotel Foxtrot iPod playlist.

I don't listen to this everytime I want a YHF fix, but sometimes I like the textures of the added tunes.

It's not meant as a replacement, and is not intended to be some sort of grand statement about my vision...it's just about hearing old, beloved things in a new, fresh way.

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart 6:58

Kamera 3:30

Alone (doubled vocals) 3:19

Radio Cure 5:09

Cars Can't Escape 3:35

War On War 3:49

Venus Stopped The Train 3:15

Jesus, Etc. 3:52

Ashes Of American Flags 4:44

Heavy Metal Drummer 3:09

Magazine Called Sunset 2:43

I'm The Man Who Loves You 3:56

Will Not Let You Down 5:38

Pot Kettle Black 4:01

Poor Places 5:18

Reservations 7:23

I've been crucified in other threads for this opinion but i cannot stand radio cure. I replace it with magazine, slot in cars can't escape between jesus and ashes and listen to the record this way 100% of the time. I can understand the opinion that magazine may be a bit too poppy (not for me but i see that side) in which case, i think a strict swap of radio cure and cars is in order and works well. For me, either way is superior to the released version. How cars was left out is absolutely beyond me, it fits that record in every way. I play that song for wilco fans who aren't fanatical like me and they cant believe it was essentially thrown away.

For me, mixing the coomer era verisons with the kotche era doesnt work so well so a couple of months ago it put together a playlist which could be be called summerteeth 2, it's basically all of the songs from the original batch of demos with Ken that didn't make it on the record with the addition of the 2 versions of camera and ashes. It really plays like a lost album between ST and YHF.

I like the track placement. I understand while the final product left some songs off, never agreed with Jay Bennett on what he would have done, but this is good. I am going to try this sequence and see if it works. The problem is that anytime you do this you run the risk of Apocalyse Now Redux. A great movie on its own, then you see what could have been there, and it changes your view ofthe original and the intended.

I like the track placement. I understand while the final product left some songs off, never agreed with Jay Bennett on what he would have done, but this is good. I am going to try this sequence and see if it works. The problem is that anytime you do this you run the risk of Apocalyse Now Redux. A great movie on its own, then you see what could have been there, and it changes your view ofthe original and the intended.

I'm not familiar with Jay Bennett's vision (would be interested to see it).

I don't use this as a substiture for the original. I use it as an addendum...for those days when I need to hear it with a slightly different take. (Sometimes I put "Let Me Come Home" right before "Reservations"...but that is REALLY raw emotionally.

I've always thought a studio version of "Laminated Cat" along the lines of the live renditions would've fit nicely on the album. (I dig the studio version on the first Loose Fur album, but I've always thought the song has sounded better live.)

Here is mine:

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart 6:58

Kamera 3:30

More Like The Moon

Radio Cure 5:09

Bob Dylans 49th Beard

War On War 3:49

Venus Stopped The Train 3:15

Jesus, Etc. 3:52

Ashes Of American Flags 4:44

Heavy Metal Drummer 3:09

Magazine Called Sunset 2:43

I'm The Man Who Loves You 3:56

Cars Can't Escape

Pot Kettle Black 4:01

Poor Places 5:18

Reservations 7:23

I've always thought a studio version of "Laminated Cat" along the lines of the live renditions would've fit nicely on the album. (I dig the studio version on the first Loose Fur album, but I've always thought the song has sounded better live.)

I agree with this. YHF may be the greatest record ever in terms of the quality of songs that didn't make it.

I agree with this. YHF may be the greatest record ever in terms of the quality of songs that didn't make it.

Springsteen_The_River.jpg

Springsteen_The_River.jpg

No opinion there as I'm a casual Springsteen fan and don't even own the river and the songs I do know don't really hit me the way his other stuff does. From what I know, that was originally a single that got stretched to a double so I'm surprised that you would feel there was still enough left off to warrant that kind of opinion. Not debating it, just surprised.

No opinion there as I'm a casual Springsteen fan and don't even own the river and the songs I do know don't really hit me the way his other stuff does. From what I know, that was originally a single that got stretched to a double so I'm surprised that you would feel there was still enough left off to warrant that kind of opinion. Not debating it, just surprised.

The Third disc of Tracks consists primarily of River outtakes. And there are still many that haven't seen the light of day (so to speak).

The Third disc of Tracks consists primarily of River outtakes. And there are still many that haven't seen the light of day (so to speak).

Gotcha.

Maybe need to start another thread in Someone Elses Song on this topic. Just thought of another, Who's Next.

I was a huge Springsteen fan back in the day, but never felt The River was among his better efforts. For me there aren't a lot of songs that actually made the cut there that can stand with the Wilco extras that have been mentioned. I know a lot of people cherish the album though.

I do agree that Bruce had a ton of songs then. The songs from Tracks are as strong as the ones that made the cut for the album.

And there are still many that haven't seen the light of day (so to speak).

riverouttakes.jpg

the REALLY outrageous thing is that there is still a load of stuff that has never seen the light of day.

Maybe later on Bruce is gonna do the Neil Young thing and open up the vault, slowly letting a few things out each year. Or just turn it upside down and dump it all out at once...

He did that in a certain fashion with the release last year of THE PROMISE