Could you exist with only 30 albums?

Came across this article by Robert Forster of The Go-Betweens

http://www.themonthly.com.au/spin-it-30- albums-robert-forster-4150

I don't get it. There have been hundreds of truly great albums released, so this woman with 25 records only has a small percentage of these great albums. I'm probably missing the point, but its a good soundbite I suppose. Similar to Eno's thoughts about only having a dozen records in your collection, and if you want to add a new album you must get rid of one of the dozen you already have. Still probably missing the point , why is Robert advocating choosing inferior Dylan albums over Blonde On Blonde or Highway 61? I don't get that at all. Its all subjective, but he's also picked the wrong albums by Talking Heads and Joy Division (brilliant albums though both his choices are). Actually, its not even clear if its his own collection or a friends he's talking about. Its a good selection of records I guess, but there is too much great music excluded from the period that Robert chooses, so I'm afraid I can't buy into it.

It's an interesting idea. I don't think I could do it, the elimination of ever finding something new after the set of 30 albums would be way to difficult. Robert's picks are pretty good though. I'd certainly have Forever Changes in the 30 I had to take. Which Talking Heads would you go with, Remain in Light? I am probably more of a Fear of Music guy, personally. Any of the Eno/Heads albums though are perfect, not to mention the live stuff.

--Mike

It's an interesting idea. I don't think I could do it, the elimination of ever finding something new after the set of 30 albums would be way to difficult. Robert's picks are pretty good though. I'd certainly have Forever Changes in the 30 I had to take. Which Talking Heads would you go with, Remain in Light? I am probably more of a Fear of Music guy, personally. Any of the Eno/Heads albums though are perfect, not to mention the live stuff.

--Mike

Yeah Mike I would go with Remain In Light. Something just struck me too. I couldn't exist on 30 records without any reggae, especially 70's reggae. I would need at least 5 albums from that era.

Plus, there is no Clash, PIL,Wire, Gang of 4, New Order, Echo and The Bunnymen etc (restricting it to bands making music within the era Robert highlighted), - thats just wrong.

Eno's theory is just masochistic in my opinion.

Hopefully he doesn't restrict it to the shite he is producing these days, imagine having a small collection with valuable space taken up with records made by Coldplay, U2 and James!!

Forever Changes US Vinyl

Forever Changes US Vinyl (mono)

Forever Changes EU

Forever Changes re-2CD

Forever Changes - 2003(london uk)DVDA

Forever Changes - Glastonbury 2003 (awesome, best A.Lee ever)

Oh yeah I've got 1 book as well(learning how to ...)

so don't need 30 albums to enjoy myself

To answer the question this thread poses: yes. For thousands of years, people seemed to exist with no albums. My guess is that the are a couple billion in the world today who still somehow seem to make it with out 30 albums. Would I choose not to? No. But I'm pretty sure I'd survive.

I have a few hundred cds, but I listen to Dylan and Wilco 98% of the time and Elliott Smith 1.5%; so yeah, I could live with the best of these guys.

I have a few hundred cds, but I listen to Dylan and Wilco 98% of the time and Elliott Smith 1.5%; so yeah, I could live with the best of these guys.

that, to me, is more perverse than just having 30 LPs...

Yes...but WHY?

Yeah, this.

Along these same lines, I could also get rid of most of the food choices in my kitchen and subsist on vegetables and beans. Would be a pretty boring way to live though.

It didn't use to be that way, but in the past three years I've delved heavily into Dylan as much as I was already into Wilco. I now quickly get bored with all else no matter how good it is. Call it The Dylan Effect.

What a crock of shit. The "Skip the popular albums by the Beatles, Stones, and Dylan" caveat just points to what this author's real agenda is. It's not about actually loving the best of what rock and roll has to offer, it's being definable to music snobs by your musical collection, which is something else entirely and not something I've been particularly interested in pursuing since I was about 22.

What a bunch of pretentious crap.

What a crock of shit. The "Skip the popular albums by the Beatles, Stones, and Dylan" caveat just points to what this author's real agenda is. It's not about actually loving the best of what rock and roll has to offer, it's being definable to music snobs by your musical collection, which is something else entirely and not something I've been particularly interested in pursuing since I was about 22.

What a bunch of pretentious crap.

Dr. you have hit the nail on the head. The NEW hipster ethos...

Dr and Crow Daddy, you do realize who the author is, don't you?

or maybe you have none of his LPs in your collection of 30+

Either Before Hollywood or 16 Lovers Lane would make my thirty, I'd imagine.

--Mike

Dr and Crow Daddy, you do realize who the author is, don't you?

or maybe you have none of his LPs in your collection of 30+

I'm familiar with the Go Betweens (and yes, I have a record or two of theirs, including the reunion record). I was particularly saddened when Grant McLennan passed away several years ago.