"My favourite things" with Jeff in Frankie Magazine

Funny to see "mum" instead of "mom" - picturing Jeff saying "my mum" and "their mum" is kind of awesome though.

I assumed the writer was doing what the Brits/Aussies/Kiwis do and used their slang as opposed to what was actually said. Kind of the way they use their own pronunciations, no matter what is correct (Calling President Barack (as in Barracks) Obama).

I assumed the writer was doing what the Brits/Aussies/Kiwis do and used their slang as opposed to what was actually said. Kind of the way they use their own pronunciations, no matter what is correct (Calling President Barack (as in Barracks) Obama).

I got that.

They also quote him saying "Touring has got better and better" when he almost certainly said "gotten"; it's nothing major but I'm a journalist and it bothers me when interviewers change quotes. The man did not say "Mum" he said "Mom." I'm pretty sure the Aussie readers of this publication would have understood that without the interviewer having to change what Jeff said. It's nitpicky I know, but if they're willing to change that they might be willing to change other words too.

They also quote him saying "Touring has got better and better" when he almost certainly said "gotten"; it's nothing major but I'm a journalist and it bothers me when interviewers change quotes. The man did not say "Mum" he said "Mom." I'm pretty sure the Aussie readers of this publication would have understood that without the interviewer having to change what Jeff said. It's nitpicky I know, but if they're willing to change that they might be willing to change other words too.

I don't think it's deliberate, just more likely the interviewer "heard" it that way.

Spelling “Mum” correctly is hardly tantamount to misrepresentation of the interview subject.

No...but it shows a cultural hubris that we in the US are accused of having cornered the market.

No...but it shows a cultural hubris that we in the US are accused of having cornered the market.

I think it's condescending to the readership. Assuming that 'mom' has to be translated into 'mum' so Australians understand it is just ridiculous - particularly since we here in Australia see and here 'mom' all the time in US publications, movies, TV shows etc.

Still a great little Q&A. I particularly like what Jeff has to say about parenthood.

The mum substitute is pretty weird and distracting. I've never seen that done before. Anyhow I've only just started paying attention to Wilco in the press with this latest album and I've noticed, with Jeff at least, that he gives pretty good answers even when the questions are weak or standard fare. Mind you I guess he's been doing it for awhile now so why not I suppose.