Who is the best American Band of all time?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best American band of all time

• The Beach Boys
    • The Velvet Underground
    • The Grateful Dead
    • The Band
    • The Talking Heads
    • REM
    • The Replacements
    • Nirvana
    • Pavement
    • Wilco

Sonic Youth - 1

The Byrds - 2

The Eagles - 1

The Ramones - 1

CCR - 1

The Flaming Groovies 1

So I'm opposed to this kind of poll in theory, but hey, I contain multitudes (and I'm bored) so what the hell.

I've intentionally left it as "bands" thus disqualifying Dylan and Elvis as solo acts, and have also chosen not to include "and the" acts such as Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band or Tom Petty and the Hearbreakers where the band is an appendage to the solo artist, at least nominally. Take issue with this if you like, but i had to draw the line somewhere.

By "American" I'm refering to the continent.

I've listed the entrants roughly chronologically, taking from a range of genres and styles. Vote by whatever criteria is most important to you: quality of the studio catalog, virtues as a live act, how influential they were musically, their cultural significance, their ability to be innovative or break new ground, etc. Feel free but not obligated to share your criteria

Before you crucify me for the ten i've selected, let me just say that you are free to vote for anyone else you might want to and at the top of this post I'll (try to) keep a running tally of other bands that didn't make the ten above nominees.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been saying you could make a legitimate claim for Wilco for a few years now. That being said I think you need to add CCR and the Byrds to theconversation.

I've been saying you could make a legitimate claim for Wilco for a few years now. That being said I think you need to add CCR and the Byrds to theconversation.

The parameters of polls limit me to ten. If you vote for one of those bands, do it clearly (and don't vote in the poll) and i'll note it at the top of the first post.

Too hard.

And, although, while I may not choose them, I would definitely add:

Los Lobos

and

Yo La Tengo

to the choices.

Well...I would definitely add Creedence and Metallica to the list. And for sheer longevity's sake Chicago.

But, that being said and done, I am all in on this here Wilco band. I hear they be pretty darn good.

So I'm opposed to this kind of poll in theory, but hey, I contain multitudes (and I'm bored) so what the hell.

So...you are legion?

Where is Aerosmith? They may have become a bit of a joke but I loved that band back in the day.

Anyway..I voted for the Band even though they are primarily Canadian.

Looking at that list, as a Brit, it becomes apparent that the UK has a stronger list of great bands, although the US win with solo artists.

1) The Beatles;

2) The Rolling Stones;

3) The Who;

4) Led Zeppelin;

5) Pink Floyd;

6) Genesis;

etc.

Best American Band Ever is an interesting exercise but I think you are missing some key bands.....Aerosmith, Allman Brothers, Doors, Eagles, Pearl Jam, Van Halen, Metallica, Ramones.

I don't think there is 100% answer. Like when you talk about the best bands ever (period), it is common argument that Beatles, Stones (1 and 2 or reversed), it is not like that with American Bands. Tough Call.

This is from Gibson.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/top-american-bands-0701-2011/

Best American Band Ever is an interesting exercise but I think you are missing some key bands.....Aerosmith, Allman Brothers, Doors, Eagles, Pearl Jam, Van Halen, Metallica, Ramones.

I don't think there is 100% answer. Like when you talk about the best bands ever (period), it is common argument that Beatles, Stones (1 and 2 or reversed), it is not like that with American Bands. Tough Call.

No there is definitely a 100% answer and that's the answer I gave. However, had Chicago been on the list it'd have been close. Also, how come Bruce Springsteen or Petty, or Dylan aren't on the list?

No there is definitely a 100% answer and that's the answer I gave. However, had Chicago been on the list it'd have been close. Also, how come Bruce Springsteen or Petty, or Dylan aren't on the list?

This is true. I understand people not liking Grateful Dead, but I don't understand really thinking they suck. An collection of incredibly talented musicians who play together as well as any band ever has while playing some very well written songs. You don't like jamming, that's fine, I get it. It doesn't mean they suck.

Since there are so many Dead fans on this board, it's always fun to rile them up. :P

I will say that I see them as a niche group with limited appeal and minimal influence. Therefore, I don't think they truly belong in the discussion. Admittedly, they have a fervent fan base. So do a lot of bands. But from an objective standpoint for this question, I don't think they're close.

A niche group that evoked comment and praise from the sitting president when it's key member died. A group that spawned and influenced countless other bands, including a lot of the post-Punk bands. A group that, literally, evoked and combined just about every form of "American" music variation, at one time or another, throughout it's career.

But I see your point: "jam" bands suck.