The Whole Love #7 on Paste's Year End List

it's so interesting how the 'top' albums are so polarized. Bon Iver top's a few 'worst of' list. the paste is another in a long history of mediocrity and prediction. wilco really should be number 1 this year. it stands on it's own merits.

this list is just so goofy to me. top ten with middle brother, that horrible mmj album and the disappointing fleet foxes! really?

Circuital is by no means my favorite. That award, like selecting my favorite Wilco record, usually changes between At Dawn, It Still Moves and Z. The Tennessee Fire, like Wilco's A.M., to me, is terrific, but unfortunately buried by the brilliant work that followed it. But I do enjoy Circuital more than Evil Urges.

The new MMJ album marked the end of their career for me.. Oh well, they still have their excellent old stuff. Sort of like Weezer.

yeah, they really went down hill fast. a band like that should have at least 10 years in 'em. to me, MMJ would be great if jim james took his songs a little more seriously rather than novelty. At Dawn through Z are just great great albums.

as far as the paste list goes, i looked and sampled all the stuff i haven't heard. nothing seemed worthwhile. reminded me of when i'd get the paste sampler in the mail and it was all so bland.

MMJ are my favorite band. That being said, I think the Whole Love is far and away a better album than Circuital, and Circuital is obviously (to me) better than Evil Urges. I rarely get the urge to listen to EU anymore, but still regularly listen to certain tracks off Circuital (live versions, at least).

"Art of Almost" made #8 on their list of the 50 Best Songs of 2011: http://www.pastemaga...f-2011.html?p=5.

They also put on the list a new tune by The Black Keys from El Camino, which isn't even out yet...but it does come out next week.

El Camino has been on a lot of lists. I thought I had just missed it. Then again, I have yet to really like a Black Keys album.

I suppose it makes sense that critics/publications already have their hands on it...just weird to see something being discussed that I haven't heard yet.

Kind of like the wild, rampant speculation that began here when Wilco posted photos of the band recording TWL. People making judgments on the album based on what instruments the guys are playing in photos.

I could say that My Morning Jacket at number 3 is very questionable, but these lists are written with the intent of creating a buzz. First, any Tom Waits album is guaranteed a slot. I love Tom Waits, but not every album is legendary.Then I stumbled on to the list of the 11 best Christmas Ales and was stunned that Westmalle Christmas was nowhere to be found. If Adele puts out a Christmas Ale next year she will most definitely be top 20 on two charts.

I like Evil Urges too. Circuital is pretty bad, though.

Agree. One of the big disapointments of the year for me. I like Evil Uges a lot and had high hope for Circuital. But it is a very poor album. The songs just aren't up to scratch.

The other big let down for me this year has been the Jayhawks comeback album 'Mockingbird Time'. The songs are dull and, sad to say, the trademark harmonies aren't working anymore either.