I am a recent convert to Aimee Mann.

After listening to her music on grooveshark, I decided that my first purchase would be "I'm with stupid", which I just received from amazon, although "Bachelor No. 2" was a close second choice.

I'll eventually get all of her records, I suppose, and I'm especially looking forward to seeing her perform live with The Wilderness of Manitoba.

I think she could be perceived as an "old" artist (just as R.E.M.) in the sense that her top selling album Lost in Space is from 2002 while I'm with Stupid is from 1995.

Have you seen "Magnolia"? I'd seen an interview with writer/director Paul Thomas Anderson where he said that he is friends with Aimee Mann, and asked her if she had any music for a movie he was making. She gave him some music and he wrote the movie around it. Terrific film and music together. I saw her in Norfolk, CT at an intimate little venue and she was really great. Love her.

Have you seen "Magnolia"? I'd seen an interview with writer/director Paul Thomas Anderson where he said that he is friends with Aimee Mann, and asked her if she had any music for a movie he was making. She gave him some music and he wrote the movie around it. Terrific film and music together. I saw her in Norfolk, CT at an intimate little venue and she was really great. Love her.

I haven't seen the movie, but have listened to the soundtrack. Now that you mention it, it's one of her most successful albums and it also made many people discover and take an interest in her music.

Aimee Mann is incredible. The only album of hers that didn't really work for me was The Forgotten Arm, but everything else is spectacular. Especially her most recent, @#%&*! Smilers, which is probably my second favorite behind Bachelor #2.

I'm a big fan, and even after all these years Bachelor No. 2 is still in fairly heavy rotation. I agree with bleedorange about The Forgotten Arm, though--that one never grabbed me. (Magnolia definitely is a worthwhile showcase for her material.)

When I saw her, less than 2 years ago, it was in what kind of amounted to a town hall. She said she wanted to take advantage of that so she passed around a clip board for comments, requests and questions. I figured I would ask a smart-ass question because she is pretty funny and there were already plenty of requests when it came around to me. So I wrote, "How did you get to be so awesome?" After the break, she came out with the clipboard in hand, said she was going to answer some questions and then said mine. She replied, "Hard work and smoke and mirrors." She is too cool.

I haven't listened to Aimee in a long time. Thanks for the reminder! Your comment about her being an "old" artist is probably accurate in that I had more or less forgotten about her over the last year or two!

I don't own all of the records, but Bachelor No. 2 is a must-have. I was also a big fan of Lost in Space.

I am a recent convert to Aimee Mann.

After listening to her music on grooveshark, I decided that my first purchase would be "I'm with stupid", which I just received from amazon, although "Bachelor No. 2" was a close second choice.

I'll eventually get all of her records, I suppose, and I'm especially looking forward to seeing her perform live with The Wilderness of Manitoba.

I think she could be perceived as an "old" artist (just as R.E.M.) in the sense that her top selling album Lost in Space is from 2002 while I'm with Stupid is from 1995.

Over time I've come to feel that 'Lost in Space' is as good as 'Bachelor #2' and sometimes surpasses its genius.

Per her FB page, she completed her new record a couple of weeks ago, finishing up with a duet with James Mercer of The Shins.

If I had to rank'em :

Bachelor #2 / Lost In Space

Smilers

Magnolia

Whatever

Forgotten Arm

I'm With Stupid

Bachelor #2 / Lost In Space

Smilers

Magnolia

Whatever

Forgotten Arm

I'm With Stupid

Really? I'm with Stupid at the bottom? It's her first album I bought, my favourites are "You could make a killing", "It's not safe" and "Long shot". Next I'm buying Bachelor.

When I saw her, less than 2 years ago, it was in what kind of amounted to a town hall. She said she wanted to take advantage of that so she passed around a clip board for comments, requests and questions. I figured I would ask a smart-ass question because she is pretty funny and there were already plenty of requests when it came around to me. So I wrote, "How did you get to be so awesome?" After the break, she came out with the clipboard in hand, said she was going to answer some questions and then said mine. She replied, "Hard work and smoke and mirrors." She is too cool.

I saw her in the same format. It was a lot of fun, but I wish that she had played more music.

• 2 weeks later...

I fell in love with her after listening to the Ricky Gervais Show on XFM from London. It is sad I had to get turned on to her by online radio from London but Stephen Merchant was a fan and I heard Cigarettes and Red Vines, bought the album, and the rest is history,

• 9 months later...

Anybody listening to her new one? I think "Charmer" is terrific. Seeing her in November in Cincy.

The first single Charmer didn't really impress me, but I've been listening to the rest of the songs and they're really good, particularly Barfly. I've seen some customer comments going as far as saying it's her best album ever. It's a great CD and better than I expected it would be, but I still listen a lot to her nineties output. I decided to buy the vinyl although it doesn't include a CD copy.

pic from a record store in Norway

564028_10152145331155646_719420602_n.jpg

• 1 month later...