Sunken Treasure!

Wow. i really hope there's some sort of project going on to document this Chicago run. I know there's no substitute for being there, but it's great to have DVDs like Ashes to spread the joy around a little.

And I sure hope that if they are doing that, there's a direct soundboard link. The only sour note in that beautiful clip was the goddamn chatty cathy yakking it up. Why oh why do these assholes do that?? Sad to say, it's usually women.

Saw this posted from 93XRT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fM4_1lc8us

What an awesome version of an awesome song and a hell of a way to open a show!

Just thought I'd share!

Abso-freaking-lutely MARVELOUS.

Wow. i really hope there's some sort of project going on to document this Chicago run. I know there's no substitute for being there, but it's great to have DVDs like Ashes to spread the joy around a little.

And I sure hope that if they are doing that, there's a direct soundboard link. The only sour note in that beautiful clip was the goddamn chatty cathy yakking it up. Why oh why do these assholes do that?? Sad to say, it's usually women.

Holy crap that was annoying.

So incredible. Really makes me wish I was there for that.

That song has always been one of my favorites. I've seen Tweedy do it live a few times solo but I've never been too crazy about that version.

What a way to open a show. Just beautiful.

I actually teared up watching it.

I'm so used to the Jeff solo version it was a trip hearing this version (the Being There version). Great stuff and great find. The audio feed on this is definitely not an SBD, for what its worth. This makes me pumped for the January CA shows. Thanks for sharing.

doesnt the full band do it with harmonica sometimes?? i dont know which version i like better

There's the Jeff Tweedy-solo harmonica based version.

There's the harmonica-based band version that's not as noisy nor anti-solo-y as the album version that's on Being There version.

Then there's the one where it sounds like a noisy rock song that you'll find on Being There, modified with Nels' blessing. It's got some pretty, uh, titanic and trench diving moments.

I'm definitely a bigger fan of the version closest to Being There, the latter.

Glad the buzzkills came out this afternoon. Was wondering where the ugggghhhh would come from. Great show, great opener, maybe not the best recording, but the entire venue as transfixed.

So...it was YOU doing the talking.

I knew it.

the song was sublime. The emotion was palpable. Nels...incredible. Jeff...in another zone. Wonderful, wonderful song and performance.

The chick needed to shut the fuck up.

Simple as that.

How is that a buzzkill?

No shit! It's like she's trying to talk over the damn song. To think these guys are putting their hearts and souls into each performance and laying it all out there for us to enjoy it blows me away to think there are people who like to take a big shit right in the middle of a performance and ruin what is probably a night people all around her will remember for the rest of their lives. Now with that being said I don't know her circumstance so I'll just shut the hell up. I mean hell, she probably heard Wilco was like Radiohead so she thought she'd give the band a try. Hahaha wth am I saying?

turn around and tell em to shut it

On the boot of the Vic show from the 15th, you can hear people shushing the talkers. And it worked.

On the boot of the Vic show from the 15th, you can hear people shushing the talkers. And it worked.

This was a good technique at Metro from what I heard. At the Riv show a guy who reminded me of the Woody Allen movie line scene from Annie Hall knew his Wilco so well he was able to identify each song two or three notes in, give a one minute synopsis of what the song meant from "Jeff's perspective", and what it meant to him. After the fourth of fifth song, Bull Black Nova, the shhhhh turned to a hiss, and when Side With the Seeds came on a tool was silenced. I was convinced he was doing it to be nice , as clearly this second or third date was with a person who was not a fan and he was trying desperately not to lose her to boredom, but for those going to the LA shows or points west this tactic does work. Start with a shhhhhhhhh. Move to a hissssssss. IT works.