AGIB question?

So Jeff did all of the ripping solos that Nels does on Muzzle of Bees and the rest before Nels ever played any of those?? Especially like the explosion at the end of MoB or is that just the newer live versions??

Jeff and Jim carried the guitar playing water on AGiB.

Jeff is not a lead guitar player. That being said, the solo he plays on ALTWYS is brilliant. That solo is a great musician that doesn't know all of the scales, and the music theory, and the techniques, just playing with his heart, and the result is brilliant.

damn. well Nels certainly does them perfectly. they almost sound improvised from his mind. I cant even picture Jeff playing them live. I dont think he ever did, did he?

Check out the live recordings circa 2002-2003 when the AGIB material began appearing. Jeff plays some lovely, messy solos.

My favorite Wilco show I ever saw was when they were a four-piece with just Jeff on guitar right after AGIB came out. I love me Nels, but I sometimes really wish Jeff played more electric live these days.

The four-piece lineup was in 2001 after YHF, I thought. In 2002 they expanded to a five-piece when Jorgensen joined.

Jeff is not a lead guitar player. That being said, the solo he plays on ALTWYS is brilliant. That solo is a great musician that doesn't know all of the scales, and the music theory, and the techniques, just playing with his heart, and the result is brilliant.

That's what I love about it. It's all feeling.

The four-piece lineup was in 2001 after YHF, I thought. In 2002 they expanded to a five-piece when Jorgensen joined.

Things are fuzzy in this 42 year old brain but you could be right. I swear there was some AGIB born stuff played...but I know Leroy was still there so maybe not. Either way, Jeff did a nice job as the lead guitarist!

Things are fuzzy in this 42 year old brain but you could be right. I swear there was some AGIB born stuff played...but I know Leroy was still there so maybe not. Either way, Jeff did a nice job as the lead guitarist!

Either way, I'm on the same page: I love Jeff's electric guitar work. When he carried the bulk of it, 2001-2003, Wilco was in the beginning stages of shifting to an entirely new way of making music. 'twas a special time.

John, piano? Hmm...don't think I recall that either.

I remember reading the credits from Being There for the first time and being impressed that all of Wilco's members were credited with multiple instruments. Then I learned that they all switched instruments for the intro to "Misunderstood."

They played almost everything on AGIB on the YHF tour before any of the songs were officially released.

damn. well Nels certainly does them perfectly. they almost sound improvised from his mind. I cant even picture Jeff playing them live. I dont think he ever did, did he?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlmi4W9DyIU

With all respect to Bennett and Cline, Jeff is my favorite lead guitarist the band has ever had.

Well, said. I couldn't agree more.

Technical chops don't really mean a lot when you play with heart. Jeff definitely does on AGIB. One on the things that makes that record stand out so much to me is that it is so cathartic. There is genuine emotion. Personally, it's one of the most emotional records I've ever heard, and you can tell it just by listening to Jeff play.

"ALTWYS", without fail, brings me to tears any time I hear it, even if just for a moment. To personify it a bit, it's like when the Grinch's heart grows big. There's just so much there.

One of the real hallmarks of AGiB is the heavy presence of Jim O'Rourke.

It's Jeff through a Jim fliter rather that Jeff through a Jay filter, so to speak.

Is it true that before the recording of this album Jeff was given guitar lessons by Richard Lloyd? I thought that I read that somewhere but I've never heard that reinforced by online fans or other articles. His guitar work on the album is killer and speaks to me much more than most of Nels's Post-Sky Blue Sky contributions.

Anyway, I love this album to just because it's so improvised yet it keeps focus throughout due to Jim O'Rourke's contribution. I thought that The Whole Love was lacking as far as a unifying musical theme is concerned, yet it has it's own mixtape kind of charm that I love too.

Is it true that before the recording of this album Jeff was given guitar lessons by Richard Lloyd? I thought that I read that somewhere but I've never heard that reinforced by online fans or other articles. His guitar work on the album is killer and speaks to me much more than most of Nels's Post-Sky Blue Sky contributions. .

I read somewhere that the lessons of Lloyd were a brthday present of Jeff's wife.